2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

3 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

It's honestly Tre Boston or bust for me. Just saying.

Was just reading up about him in fact.
Stat line isnt too bad - but this comment gives me pause to think: Boston visited Arizona last month, but they were only willing to give him the veteran minimum.

Now - I'm not gonna look it up, but I'm gonna presume AZ is really up against it CAP-wise.
Cause to be accepting a visit froma 26 y/o guy - and not willing to give him anything but the vet minimum and punching his parking ticket - doesnt scream good things about his talent.....or it makes me question it at least.

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

? I mean, how could they not know this by now...

Sounds like Russ Ball could go w/o desert for awhile........

Well - we can put a cap on the Free Agent thread for this season.

Edited by Leader

Last year, Riley signed a one-year, $630,00 deal with the New York Giants. He played and started in all 16 games last year and  Riley intercepted four passes last year for the Giants. Riley also recorded 75 tackles, five passes defended and one of his interceptions was returned for a touchdown. He was benched in his final game for his feeble effort to tackle Dallas tight end Blake Jerwin, which resulted in a touchdown. No surprise there: He missed an ungodly 23 tackles to rank 100th out of 102 safeties in PFF’s tackling efficiency. On the other hand, according to PFF, he allowed zero touchdowns and a 39.5 passer rating in coverage. Riley finished with a PFF overall grade of 58.0 which ranked 79th among all safeties. 

Some positives, some negatives from an article on 247sports. The missed tackles is concerning as it is not something you want to see from your "safe"ty.

18 hours ago, Cadmus said:

Curtis Riley is another player that I've liked he was in college at Fresno State. I thought he should've been drafted because he was long, fast, and possessed premium ball skills. He signed as an UDFA with the Titans to play CB and then went to the NYG before his 4th NFL Season where he converted to FS. Riley came out of nowhere and beat out Andrew Adams and the other competition to earn the FS spot opposite Collins. Riley started 16 Games at FS and was 18th in performance-based pay during the 2018 NFL season. He was tremendous in pass coverage and below average against the run. He possessed the 2nd lowest passer rating against of any S in the NFL, and didn't allow a single TD in coverage (he played nearly 100% of the defensive snaps).  It was his first year playing safety and I think he'd make an excellent addition. There are reportedly half a dozen teams currently interested in him. 

Coupled with Cadmus review he sure sounds like an ascending player. 

Just reading all this, I get the impression he is a gambler. He looks for the big play every time and that might explain the high number of missed tackles which in turn caused the low number of passes defended. It's ridiculously low at 5. That's HaHa territory.

Just for comparison Eddie Jackson had 21 passes defended last season.  Kareem Jackson has 19, Tre Boston has 12, Amos has 11.

Actually I've just realised that NFL.com counts interceptions in their pass defended totals. Eg. Eddie Jackson deflected 15 passed + made 6 interceptions = 21 passes defended.

That means Riley has only deflected ONE pass the entire season and intercepted 4. That's bad isn't it?

12 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

? I mean, how could they not know this by now...

silverstein is an idiot just parroting things that are out of context

he heard something about the rookie cap being factored in, and now he's got a 5M number which he doesn't understand.

• Like 1

Andy Herman:

With the top 53 and the practice squad I have the Packers with $13.39 million remaining. That does not include Allison, or their top draft picks which will come in higher than what’s on the 53 now. Take that into consideration and it’s probably right at $5 million remaining.

Of course right now the draft picks don’t count against the cap and it’s only the top 51 that count which allows them much greater flexibility for now. But ultimately the 53 + practice squad is what they need to be concerned about.

12 minutes ago, Leader said:

Combining this tight on the cap and Tre Boston chit chat......

If you were Tre Boston and the best you could scrounge up was vet minimum offers to play in GB or AZ......where would you sign?

If the pay was the same and knowing he would get the starting role in both places I think he will end up sticking with what he knows in order to keep some element of stability for himself and his family. He's been moving around from city to city every year since 2016. If he joins us on a one year deal we would be his 4th team, and even after one year and if he finally lands his payday he could potentially be on his 5th team in 5 years. Phew!

Edited by Chili

1 minute ago, Chili said:

If the pay was the same and knowing he would get the starting role in both places I think he will end up sticking with what he knows in order to keep some element of stability for himself and his family. He's been moving around from city to city every year since 2016. If he joins us on a one year deal we would be his 4th team, and even after one year and if he finally lands his payday he could potentially be on his 5th team in 5 years.

Thats interesting information which I honestly didnt know.....cause I dont know much about the guy except a lot of people seem to like him and its a postition we're looking to fill.

No my comment was "non-specifed" in so much as I was really only thinking of / speaking to which climate would you rather play / live in (which I would think would be AZ) - but when considered from a competitive standpoint - GB should be the pick.