2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

He had previously said that Green Bay would get first crack at him.  They must not have had much interest at all to let him leave for that measly one year deal.

It makes sense that we view our draft picks as starters. I dont think we had any interest giving him starter money.

1 minute ago, Chili said:

It makes sense that we view our draft picks as starters. I dont think we had any interest giving him starter money.

This is on target IMO. Not sure GB figured him as a starter - but with KK's (apparently ongoing) issues - he would have been handy to have around. That was my take. Not an all 'round talent but I always liked the PBUs.

19 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Agree, but now depth at CB is a concern. We are going to need 2 guys IMO. 

That's probably a tad extreme.  We were always in the market for a corner.  Maybe not as early as it is now, but we still were likely looking at a CB either on Day 2 or early Day 3.  Nothing has really changed.

Would have been nice though for another year to carry him at that kind of number while all our young guys are cheap. Then he walks and we have another year and maybe a draft pick. With that said we King and JA missed games last year. Darn it anyway, lets home Gute has a plan.

8 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He had previously said that Green Bay would get first crack at him.  They must not have had much interest at all to let him leave for that measly one year deal.

That just sounds like lipspeak to me.  Breeland is a starting CB in Kansas City, is he a top 3 CB in Green Bay?  I'm not sure.

Just now, CWood21 said:

That just sounds like lipspeak to me.  Breeland is a starting CB in Kansas City, is he a top 3 CB in Green Bay?  I'm not sure.

I think this is what the key thing is to me. This contract is about his next one. Breeland walks into a starting spot for KC. There was never a guarantee of him even being CB3 for GB.

• Like 1

Just now, rcon14 said:

I think this is what the key thing is to me. This contract is about his next one. Breeland walks into a starting spot for KC. There was never a guarantee of him even being CB3 for GB.

Given what we know, I'd say Jaire Alexander and (a healthy) Kevin King are our starting corners.  Josh Jackson was a 2nd round pick so you'd have to imagine they'd feel the pressure to get him into the lineup.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Given what we know, I'd say Jaire Alexander and (a healthy) Kevin King are our starting corners.  Josh Jackson was a 2nd round pick so you'd have to imagine they'd feel the pressure to get him into the lineup.

And then there's also Tony Brown, who is a hyper-athletic guy who played pretty well last year. CB isn't solved by any means, but there is upside with the group at hand.

21 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Ouch. This one stings.

At least we have Tramon...

This ranks right up with one of the worst decisions in Gute's reign as GM. Guy has made a lot of good decisions, but this is dumb and there's no sugarcoating it. 

• Like 3

Just now, packfanfb said:

This ranks right up with one of the worst decisions in Gute's reign as GM. Guy has made a lot of good decisions, but this is dumb and there's no sugarcoating it. 

It's pretty likely Breeland would prefer to be CB1 in KC than CB3 or maybe CB4 in GB.

Just now, packfanfb said:

im trying to rationalize this move in my head...