2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

Well you're in luck. He's a coach on the practice field, locker room, and game day. With the added clout of a jersey and helmet. And if he stops just one guy from turning into Randall or HHCD he's worth every penny. If he sets the example in the film room he's worth every penny. Oh, and he can play CB or S if needed

Let's sign LaFleur as QB3 for $5million!

52 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Chargers fans were joyous that Addae was cut. Mike Mitchell?? Come on.

Quin and Boston are upgrades, the other list you compiled, no.

Look, I realize that not everyone has time to watch these guys, but I just can't. 

I picked safety and EDGE this off-season and went back and watched a few guys when I needed a break from my busy schedule over the last few months. 

Tashaun Gipson, Darryl Roberts, Tre Boston, and Glover Quin should all be easy enough for people to acknowledge as clear upgrades so I'll leave those alone. 

I've followed Addae, McDougald, and Gipson since they were drafted, and I liked all of them (2012/2013 draft classes) so I kept tabs on their careers. Jahleel Addae was a ball magnet at CMU and played very well on his rookie contract for the Chargers (the reason they paid him). Above average against the run, above average vs. the pass, and extremely effective at covering players out of the slot. After James was selected Addae simply got lost in the shuffle, and there was no reason for them to pay him that much coin with Philips and other cheap rookie-contract players around that could fill most of the void at a reduced cost. Addae is a super underrated player. 

Andrew Adams flashed as a rookie for the NYG and then eventually ended up in Tampa in 2018. Adams was nothing short of fantastic at the end of last season especially the last 4 games. He was very strong in coverage and average against the run. 

Corey Graham is just a better all-around player than Tramon, and has been for the last 3+ years. There really isn't much more I can say. 

Mike Mitchell was stuck at home on the safety embargo last season, but he played exceptionally well after the Colts signed him. Unfortunately, the Colts also had Hooker, Geathers, and a talented UDFA in Farley so he wasn't able to get a full complement of snaps. 

Curtis Riley is another player that I've liked he was in college at Fresno State. I thought he should've been drafted because he was long, fast, and possessed premium ball skills. He signed as an UDFA with the Titans to play CB and then went to the NYG before his 4th NFL Season where he converted to FS. Riley came out of nowhere and beat out Andrew Adams and the other competition to earn the FS spot opposite Collins. Riley started 16 Games at FS and was 18th in performance-based pay during the 2018 NFL season. He was tremendous in pass coverage and below average against the run. He possessed the 2nd lowest passer rating against of any S in the NFL, and didn't allow a single TD in coverage (he played nearly 100% of the defensive snaps).  It was his first year playing safety and I think he'd make an excellent addition. There are reportedly half a dozen teams currently interested in him. 

Edited by Cadmus
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He will be after the draft. We can play the board and either take a high ranked CB and play Jackson there, or we can pick a safety high. Either way it's a lot of whining over nothing. Yeah the money could be spent better, but I'm going to see how the remainder is spent before I complain.

Agree - and hope we address this area in the draft - somehow / some way / somewhere / and get ourselves a player we can plug in and grow in this secondary group which will mitigates the necessity for TW or get him cut (regarding the selection). Its not like we broke the bank on the guy. I mean, some of the talk around here is some serious penny pinching....down to the fine hairs.

26 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

I’m saying none of those guys are any better than Tramon this year other than Gipson. And in most of their cases, they are journeyman low safeties. And Chris Conte is never a nAme to bring up in support of any argument.

The majority of those players had better seasons than Tramon in 2018 (not like that was a high bar). 

26 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

And Chris Conte is never a nAme to bring up in support of any argument.

All it proves is how bad Tramon was/is at safety. 

Edited by Cadmus

5 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

The majority of those players had better seasons than Tramon in 2018 (not like that was a high bar). 

All it proves is how bad Tramon was/is at safety. 

Not an expert, but it couldn't have helped that Brice was his running mate 

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

In a 1-for-1 scenario, absolutely.  But if the choice came to Tramon Williams, a 4th round pick, and the money saved by not extending HHCD or HHCD, I'd take the former.

or the money saved by cutting tramon and paying HHCD 3.5M? oooh that 4th rounder!

Edited by skibrett15

and everything in here about tramon ignores the fact that he has been consistently and steadily getting Worse because he's really friggin old.  all signs point to his being MUCH WORSE and more injured this year than last year because that's what he's been happening every year of his career since 2010.  

He's been more and more injured and steadily and consistently declining from his borderline all pro level.  He was bad enough in 2014 that the team let him walk to cleveland on a 3 year $10M gtd contract, which he underperformed and was cut.  Then went to arizona, I guess you could say he plateaued a little bit there amidst a stud secondary, and then he got even worse and even older.

Whatever anyone thought was tolerable or passable about Tramon last year was the best tramon you can possibly get next year.  He will, in all likelihood, be noticeably worse.

Edited by skibrett15

I'm not upset they are seemingly keeping Tramon for another year, but if they don't bring in enough competition to push him for his spot I will be concerned. Which I doubt they won't at least try to get another safety in free agency or use a high draft pick on one. 

Edited by Gopackgonerd

Have to think at this point the price on the remaining guys in free agency is going down, not up. Breeland, Wilkerson, Matthews and Cobb are still out there. I'd be interested in Wilkerson and Breeland, but our cap situation isn't great so might have a shot at one of them. 

I'm thinking if we bring one in we have to let one go. Like Breeland for T-Will.