2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

At least we have Tramon...

This ranks right up with one of the worst decisions in Gute's reign as GM. Guy has made a lot of good decisions, but this is dumb and there's no sugarcoating it. 

Or...Breeland wanted a clearer shot at a starting CB position?  No, that's too logical.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rcon14 said:

It's pretty likely Breeland would prefer to be CB1 in KC than CB3 or maybe CB4 in GB.

Nah I don't buy any of that. Breeland cares about money. KC offered him more. Plus the guy is arguably CB No. 2 (with a healthy King) because most of the time you're seeing at least 3-wide sets and you're putting Alexander in the slot with King/Bree on the outside. One injury to King and Breeland was a CB 1. 

The simple fact of losing him isn't even what is bothersome, but more than we could have just given him Tramon's money. Tramon is gone next year so even if Breeland just wanted a 1-year deal to leave next year, so what...you have Breeland instead of Tramon (for probably less money). 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Nah I don't buy any of that. Breeland cares about money. KC offered him more. Plus the guy is arguably CB No. 2 (with a healthy King) because most of the time you're seeing at least 3-wide sets and you're putting Alexander in the slot with King/Bree on the outside. One injury to King and Breeland was a CB 1. 

The simple fact of losing him isn't even what is bothersome, but more than we could have just given him Tramon's money. Tramon is gone next year so even if Breeland just wanted a 1-year deal to leave next year, so what...you have Breeland instead of Tramon (for probably less money). 

IF the numbers were even close, why would he choose Green Bay over Kansas City?  He's your #3 CB when everyone is healthy.  Jaire Alexander is our top corner and Kevin King was more productive than Breeland.  Breeland wasn't very good last year.  And I'm not sure where this notion that he was came from.

5 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

Hey guys, this guy's now a FA:

vantaze-burfict-shaken-up-after-hitting-

He'd give us more draft flexibility and would totally outweigh all the baggage he comes with.

J/K, I wouldn't touch him with a 500,000 foot pole.

This team signing Burfict would be one of the few things that would make me cancel my trip to a game this year. 

14 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

If he cares about money, wouldn't he want to go to a place where he could be a starting corner which would increase his value for the long term deal he is seeking? Especially, to a team like KC. He could stay in GB on a one-year deal and somehow Kevin King stays healthy plus Josh Jackson develops into a legit #3 and all of the sudden the Packers don't want to re-sign him next off-season and he gets a lot less snaps which would hurt his money. 

I understand the frustration because I wanted him back and hate that we aren't using Tramon's money elsewhere but it could have came down to playing time and which place would set him up for a better long term deal. He isn't going to take an extra million or two for one year if he thinks it will decrease his long term deal by more than that. 

Edited by Victor1124

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

IF the numbers were even close, why would he choose Green Bay over Kansas City?  He's your #3 CB when everyone is healthy.  Jaire Alexander is our top corner and Kevin King was more productive than Breeland.  Breeland wasn't very good last year.  And I'm not sure where this notion that he was came from.

Agree with just about all of this.  Only part i would disagree with is breeland not being very good last year but not enough to argue over.  Main point i wanted to make is that i don't blame gute for not throwing a bunch of money at breeland.  we have drafted corners with three of our four highest draft picks the past two years, and at some point you gotta trust them when you are committing big bucks elsewhere in FA.

3 minutes ago, snackattack said:

Agree with just about all of this.  Only part i would disagree with is breeland not being very good last year but not enough to argue over.  Main point i wanted to make is that i don't blame gute for not throwing a bunch of money at breeland.  we have drafted corners with three of our four highest draft picks the past two years, and at some point you gotta trust them when you are committing big bucks elsewhere in FA.

He was a solid CB.  Nothing more, nothing less.  But that's not someone you're going to block your draft picks for.  Odds are that Breeland saw a clear path to a starting position in Kansas City, and he saw a team that invested two top 64 picks last year and a top 40 pick the year before. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Odds are that Breeland saw a clear path to a starting position in Kansas City, and he saw a team that invested two top 64 picks last year and a top 40 pick the year before. 

That does make sense since he took such a low deal, I do wonder if the pack offered him anything too

28 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

Hey guys, this guy's now a FA:

vantaze-burfict-shaken-up-after-hitting-

He'd give us more draft flexibility and would totally outweigh all the baggage he comes with.

J/K, I wouldn't touch him with a 500,000 foot pole.

Let's sign him.  I am tired of the Packers always the ones that get injured.  Let's retaliate.

10 minutes ago, snackattack said:

ouch, that does hurt a little.  we got our pass rush though; lets see how that pays off for our corners.

If they're better than Clay and Perry last year which isnt a high bar to beat, it should pay off a ton.

It's not a giant loss but you are concerned with the depth because of the health of these guys, Jaire missed some and King has missed a ton.

Jackson, Tramon and Brown are decent backups but I would like one more solid guy.

Edited by Gopackgonerd