2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

10 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

I don't see the point of keeping Clay. 2015 was a long time ago, so this idea he can play ILB well I'm not sure is true anymore. And he was clearly washed at EDGE. I'm just not sure what he gives you at this point that you couldn't get from a random cheap guy who you'd pay less.

I would keep him if the price is right since he can play OLB and ILB.  We just lost Ryan, so there is a possible opening for Clay at ILB.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

I don't see the point of keeping Clay. 2015 was a long time ago, so this idea he can play ILB well I'm not sure is true anymore. And he was clearly washed at EDGE. I'm just not sure what he gives you at this point that you couldn't get from a random cheap guy who you'd pay less.

I hear you. Its more sentimental with Clay for me. Just want to see him get one more ring as a Packer.

So most likely Silverstein was talking to someone and said something like "so the Packers have $13m left to spend right?" and the other person doing the math in their head about how much they need for the draft class and how much they want to carry over and said "Nah, it's closer to $5m" and Silverstein ran with it?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

So most likely Silverstein was talking to someone and said something like "so the Packers have $13m left to spend right?" and the other person doing the math in their head about how much they need for the draft class and how much they want to carry over and said "Nah, it's closer to $5m" and Silverstein ran with it?

And now he looks like a booger-eating alarmist.  I'm sure he'll learn from this experience and move on.  We should do the same.

15 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

What's your point?  Yeah, I'd sign both of them for the veteran's minimum.  Neither of them signed for that.  Lol.  That's my point.  There isn't a single player in the NFL who has been in the league and on a roster for 4 years that I WOULDN'T sign for the veteran's minimum.  Wilkerson's cash was 1.6 million, his average salary was 5 million.  That's 5 times over the veteran's minimum.  Breeland just signed for 5 million.  Five times the veteran's minimum. 

No veteran whose name you would ever recognize is going to sign for the veteran's minimum.  I just said the veteran's minimum is 930,000 and you bring up Breeland who is now making 5 million and Wilkerson who made 5 million.  What part of my point are you missing? 

You asked "When was the last time a player whose name you recognize actually played on the vet minimum?" I told you one from just last season, Breeland. That was my point. It's straightforward. What he's making in 2019 is irrelevant. You can try and spin it with some useless $$ on what he's making in 2019 or was offered in 2018 by Carolina, but you can't change the fact he signed a vet minimum deal last year.

There are occasionally bargains like that. They may not be common, but it happens under certain circumstances. Breeland's was due to injury. Wilkerson's contract may not be the vet minimum, but it will surely be impacted by his injury. (Don't call me Shirley)

34 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

We need to invest in another "experienced" safety!  Trotting one of our future draft picks out there this season isn't a good game plan, IMO.  Amos will struggle if we leave him out there on an island.

I disagree, Amos played next to a young Eddie Jackson. We just need to hit on the right Safety in the 1st 3 rounds.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Clay last played ILB in 2014.

Clay last reached double digit sacks as an OLB in 2012, yes 2012.

Clay surprisingly had an injury-free season in 2018 and amassed 3.5 sacks.

I agree.

...and wasn't allowed to touch the QB the first 6 weeks of the season as well; he would've had double digit sacks had he not been afraid to draw flags. I guarantee it...

Just now, Joe said:

...and wasn't allowed to touch the QB the first 6 weeks of the season as well; he would've had double digit sacks had he not been afraid to draw flags. I guarantee it...

Now this is certainly a theory that someone could have I guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

I mean he made a mistake, but the report was with a caveat and he said wait for more information.  Probably not something to do agian but not the end of the world.

many here jumped on the tweet immediately as nonsensical at best and clickbaity sensationalizing at worst.  Guy shouldn't be speaking about things he clearly doesn't understand.

There's almost no reason to follow any of the beat reporters on social media, at least for news purposes.

I'm not terribly uncomfortable with Tramon out there with a competent safety with him. Don't love the cap hit, and would like to add someone who can play single high, but I don't hate the room right now with:

Amos
Tramon
Draft Pick top 3 rounds
Raven Greene
Josh Jones

1 minute ago, JBURGE said:

I'm not terribly uncomfortable with Tramon out there with a competent safety with him. Don't love the cap hit, and would like to add someone who can play single high, but I don't hate the room right now with:

Amos
Tramon
Draft Pick top 3 rounds
Raven Greene
Josh Jones

Eh, it's bad ;)