2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

21 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

You asked "When was the last time a player whose name you recognize actually played on the vet minimum?" I told you one from just last season, Breeland. That was my point. It's straightforward. What he's making in 2019 is irrelevant. You can try and spin it with some useless $$ on what he's making in 2019 or was offered in 2018 by Carolina, but you can't change the fact he signed a vet minimum deal last year.

There are occasionally bargains like that. They may not be common, but it happens under certain circumstances. Breeland's was due to injury. Wilkerson's contract may not be the vet minimum, but it will surely be impacted by his injury. (Don't call me Shirley)

Breeland did not sign for the vet minimum last year.  880,000 was his deal halfway through the season with a foot injury most teams didn't think he could play through and he still got over the bet minimum, which was 775,000 last year for his amount of experience.  So if an injury midway through the season signing can't even get it, what in God's name makes you think a veteran would sign that deal at this point?

5 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I'm not terribly uncomfortable with Tramon out there with a competent safety with him. Don't love the cap hit, and would like to add someone who can play single high, but I don't hate the room right now with:

Amos
Tramon
Draft Pick top 3 rounds
Raven Greene
Josh Jones

Yeah it's fine. You're not gonna be perfect everywhere and that at least has some competency with Tramon (not good, but he's not a disaster), Raven Greene showed some flashes, and a top 3 round S should be good enough that it's fine. Fine is all you need. Fine is okay.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I'm not terribly uncomfortable with Tramon out there with a competent safety with him. Don't love the cap hit, and would like to add someone who can play single high, but I don't hate the room right now with:

Amos
Tramon
Draft Pick top 3 rounds
Raven Greene
Josh Jones

I could live with that for a year while Pettine continues to develop that side of the ball.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rcon14 said:
8 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Amos
Tramon
Draft Pick top 3 rounds
Raven Greene
Josh Jones

Yeah it's fine. You're not gonna be perfect everywhere and that at least has some competency with Tramon (not good, but he's not a disaster), Raven Greene showed some flashes, and a top 3 round S should be good enough that it's fine. Fine is all you need. Fine is okay.

Raven is my new Brice... I loved him when we got him. I just hope it works out better this time around

But yes. You can't be near top of the league everywhere, and right now safeties is pretty far down the list of priorities. 

Edited by JBURGE

11 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

many here jumped on the tweet immediately as nonsensical at best and clickbaity sensationalizing at worst.  Guy shouldn't be speaking about things he clearly doesn't understand.

There's almost no reason to follow any of the beat reporters on social media, at least for news purposes.

I agree, and for the same reason people shouldn't follow any journos who report on something without fact checking. They need to take "journalistic integrity" seriously.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

When was the last time a player whose name you recognize actually played on the vet minimum?  Do people actually know what the veteran's minimum is in the NFL?  I don't know who said what, but that's one that really bothers me, too.  The veteran minimum for 2019 is 930,000 dollars for 7-9 years.  That is some Jeff Janis dollars amount that literally nobody past a fringe roster player is going to sign for.  That saying of, "I'd sign him for the veteran's minimum" needs to die here. 

sam shields?

CJ Anderson?

John Kuhn?

Breeland?

Richard Rodgers?

These things do happen.  But it's usually with a relatively discarded player.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I agree, and for the same reason people shouldn't follow any journos who report on something without fact checking. They need to take "journalistic integrity" seriously.

I dont get into a lather about posting the GB beat reporters. Its not passed on as the word of God. Its just a football guy offering an opinion oR stating some fact - both of which could be "off" to some degree. No big deal IMO.

Edited by Leader

1 minute ago, Leader said:

I dont get into a lather about posting the GB beat reporters. Its not passed on as the word of God. Its just a football guy offering an opinion oR stating some fact - both of which could be "off" to some degree. No big deal IMO.

Hi Tom

10 minutes ago, Leader said:

Yeah a guy made a mistake and cap math is not exactly an easy thing. It's whatever.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

sam shields?

CJ Anderson?

John Kuhn?

Breeland?

Richard Rodgers?

These things do happen.  But it's usually with a relatively discarded player.

Yeah, they happen.  Now look at WHEN they happen.  Shields was signed either in-season or right before.  Kuhn is a got damn fullback at 34 years old.  Breeland with the injury (and didn't sign for the vet minimum).  DickRod is NOT a name literally anybody would recognize other than the Hail Mary play. 

Also,

Anderson - Not veteran minimum and in-season.
Shields - Broken got damn HEAD and NOT veteran minimum.
Kuhn - 34 got damn years old fullback and... NOT veteran minimum.
Breeland - Again, NOT veteran minimum.
Rodgers - NOT veteran minimum.

SO NO IT DOES NOT HAPPEN AS YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE SINCE THE FIVE PLAYERS YOU JUST TRIED TO USE AS AN EXCEPTION WITH A COMBINED 1 BROKEN HEAD, 34-YEARS-OLD FULLBACK, INJURIES AND NOTHINGNESS ALL SIGNED FOR HIGHER THAN THE VETERAN MINIMUM. 

1 hour ago, rcon14 said:

If we gave either of them 5M, that'd be a poor use of resources. Both are vet minimum guys at this point.

I'd pay Matthews more because of his versatility. Maybe I'm missing the love for Mo but I wouldn't give him a third of the money I'd be willing to give Matthews. Guy looked washed last year before he mangled his leg...

Edited by packfanfb

You guys can argue about vet mins all day. Clay, Mo, literally anyone who's been good in the last 3 years is not signing for the vet min. It's not happening. The expectation that you want them to and if they sign for more, it's an overpay is misguided too.

Understand the market. Erick Flowers might be the worst football player I've ever seen, he got a 4m dollar deal. Tyler Eifert has played 14 games in 3 YEARS, 6m dollar deal. Marcedes Lewis, not the vet min.

Unless you're signing in mid season, you aren't accepting the vet min.

• Like 1