Predict the 2019 coaching changes.

Superman(DH23)

On 11/13/2018 at 9:28 AM, Trentwannabe said:

Green Bay - Dave Toub - Pettine stays on

New York Jets - Matt Lafleur with Chuck Pagano as DC

Denver - John Harbaugh - seems like a match made in heaven 

Baltimore - David Shaw - returns to the Ravens and helps develop LJ

Cleveland - Bruce Arians - Guy loves football and Mayfield too much to stay away.

Tampa Bay - Jim Schwartz - I have no idea who goes here

No thanks. Not a good fit. He’s a great coach but baker isn’t right for his 7 step drop system. Baker needs rollouts play action and shotgun. Arians has been a classic 7 step drop coach forever. 

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I dunno, reports were that Bill got him to stay this offseason by promising him the keys when he retires. So unless that changes I think Josh stays in NE.

That I can understand. I wonder how long they have Bill and Tom have left. No doubt they part as a pair. It could be another 2 seasons before they ride off into the sunset together. But I can see the appeal of being Bill's understudy to milk and soak as much knowledge out of him as possible; McDaniels is still a young guy. 

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Partly because he’s overrated and whatever team wants an interview with him after the stunt he pulled last year doesn’t deserve a good coach.

I can see how the Indy thing could rub a lot of front offices the wrong way, but it only takes one team to trust him and commit. Is he overrated? Maybe a little. He got in over his head in Denver trying to play GM, but he's still a bright offensive mind. Even if he is overrated, I still think he's a better option than some of the other names floating around this thread.

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Probably bc McDumbiels sunk himself last year with the colts reneg and now no owner or gm in the league can trust him.  It was so bad his agent had to fire him or risk his business bc of lack of faith

It only takes one team. Talent and potential can supersede question marks. The interview process will obviously be huge for him. He needs to do some serious convincing and reassure the front offices of his commitment. 

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Vic fangio deserves to finally get a HC job. He’s been very good everywhere. 

Vic has fallen victim to the lack of defensive and older coaches getting HC jobs in recent history.  It's pretty safe to say that Vic is never going to get that chance. I'd say Dave Toub is in that same boat.  

I think Harbaugh would be a good fit for some of the perennially underachieving organizations - Tampa in particular sticks out to me as a place that desperately needs a culture/mentality reset to fully wash their hands of the Jameis Winston era and that's where Harbaugh will be helpful. But call me a spoiled Ravens fan if you want, I just don't see him as a super high upside coach moving forward. He was the right guy in the right place at the right time to help focus the raw talent of the end-years Ray Lewis/Ed Reed teams into a team that could fight its way into championship contention every year, but everything that has followed since 2012 has to me showed that he can't really shape a team to establish any sort of identity beyond really 'trying hard' I guess.

He has no idea what he wants on offense, which has more or less reflected in not just the constant stink of bad OC hires but the fact that none of these OC's really share anything in common in terms of style or scheme. Hell, the one time he did make a good OC hire in Kubiak, he allegedly initially wanted to hire Jim Hostler over Kyle Shanahan before others in the organization basically told him to reconsider and try to get back to the drawing board. On defense it feels more often than not that his outlook is playing not to lose. Because Harbaugh doesn't really offer much himself in terms of playcalling/scheming, he's reliant on his coordinators - he makes lots of bad hires on that front, and you also end up with problems even when he makes good hires, because then you only really get one year from them before they get hired as HC's (see: Pagano and Kubiak). Lots of head coaches deal with attrition at the assistant level but they can generally survive that because there is a baseline expertise/framework that rests with the HC when it comes to scheming things up, but you don't get that with Harbaugh.

For me I think his best option is becoming a college head coach at a blue chip program because I think he fits the model of the CEO-style head coach that works well at the college level better than he does the more active/technical NFL head coach. If he does stick around the NFL, I think he at least needs to take a year off and actually study the league a little more closely and better catch himself up because I fear if he jumps right back into another job he's just going to end up leaning on the same retreads from his family's coaching tree and nothing will change in his approach, which will set up him to be a John Fox-style bridge coach at best. 

On 11/13/2018 at 10:53 AM, BayRaider said:

Those are all terrible hires outside of John Harbaugh. 

John Harbaugh

Lincoln Riley

Jim Schwartz 

Bruce Arians (he wants the Browns only)

These are the only four that look appealing to me. Browns will have their choice between Riley and Arians. If they hire McCarthy they should just give up being a football team. 

John Harbaugh isn't leaving Michigan and Lincoln Riley isn't leaving Oklahoma.  You can take that to the bank.  Maybe in a few years, but right now both of those guys are very happy where they are.

Just now, CWood21 said:

John Harbaugh isn't leaving Michigan and Lincoln Riley isn't leaving Oklahoma.  You can take that to the bank.  Maybe in a few years, but right now both of those guys are very happy where they are.

John from the Ravens not Jim. 

On 11/12/2018 at 1:16 PM, Superman(DH23) said:

Green Bay - Tom Clement

Let me get this straight, the Packers are going to fire Mike McCarthy and hire their former OC/QB coach who hasn't coached in the last two years?  If they're moving on from McCarthy, it's because they're going to go in a different coaching direction.  IF Green Bay's HC gig becomes open, you have to figure it'll be one of the premier spots and most candidates preferred spot.  I think DeFilippo is the obvious choice here given his ties to Mike Pettine (2015 Browns OC for Pettine).  It's almost too natural of a fit.

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

John from the Ravens not Jim. 

I always get them backwards.  Either way, I don't think John is going to coach next year.  I think he takes a year off, goes up into the booth, and then comes back the following year.

3 minutes ago, uk9erfan said:

I don't see Jim Harbaugh leaving Michigan (yet) to return to the NFL but if he did, and Green Bay sent McCarthy packing (sorry couldn't resist that), then Lambeau Field would be his best landing spot without a shadow of a doubt for me.

I'm pretty sure on a sheer philosophical note, it wouldn't work out.  Plus you have to figure Jim would want personnel control, which he wouldn't get.

6 minutes ago, uk9erfan said:

I don't see Jim Harbaugh leaving Michigan (yet) to return to the NFL but if he did, and Green Bay sent McCarthy packing (sorry couldn't resist that), then Lambeau Field would be his best landing spot without a shadow of a doubt for me.

tenor.gif?itemid=4999058

no to jim harbaugh

Archived