Who are the best power backs you've seen?

Hunter2_1

On 11/23/2018 at 12:53 PM, Calvert28 said:

Honorable Mention: Ricky William's. 

No one seems to realise he eclipsed 10k yards. 

A personal favourite:

John L Williams - for some reason the middle initial makes him seem like all business; complete back, as far as running, receiving, and blocking goes; had some very productive years paired with Curt Warner in Seattle 

On 11/23/2018 at 2:12 AM, Thomas5737 said:

Okoye for a couple years was amazing.

I think Okoye and Brandon Jacobs will be remembered similarly. Huge bruising backs that were responsible more for memorable plays than good careers. Guys like that are always fun to watch. 

Earl Campbell is unparalleled imo. The Tyler Rose is what every RB aspires to be. An absolute punisher. Here is one of my favorite anecdotes about Campbell. It was written by Hanford Dixon and included in a book of his football memoirs. And it is absolutely hilarious.

Although I was all of 170 pounds, I looked forward to taking shots at the big boys, like Pete Johnson and later Earl Campbell. By December of my rookie year, the Browns were mired in last place, but I looked forward to taking on Campbell when we went to Houston for a nationally televised Thursday night game on December 3.

“Damn. You haven’t seen Earl Campbell,” my teammates told me all week. “Well, Earl Campbell hasn’t seen Hanford Dixon,” I responded with all due cockiness.

Early in the game, Campbell came around the left side on a sweep. I fixed my eyes on him and charged forward. He looked at me and took aim, and bam! I saw stars. It was just like running into that telephone pole while playing football with my friends back in Theodore. The first thing I thought to myself was, “Oh ****. I’m hurt.” But I wasn’t about to let Campbell, or any of the Oilers for that matter, see me hurt. It’s not just a pride thing. If the opposing coaches upstairs see that you’re hurt, they’ll run a go pattern past your sagging *** on the next play. So I jumped up, maintained my composure as best I could, jogged to the sideline, and sat my *** down. After a second or two, I realized something was wrong. I was sitting on the wrong bench, on the wrong sideline. I jumped up and trotted over to our sideline, much to the amusement of the veterans. We went on to lose that game, 17-13.

Of other players I actually watched (I mean really watched, not that they played while I was alive) I will say Mike Alstott and John Riggins are up there. And I think it's easy to forget Eddie George and Jamal Lewis were both verrrrrry strong runners. Ray Lewis vs Eddie George used to be a great matchup. 

I will also note that there are players that aren't considered your prototypical "power" backs that have plenty of power. Walter Payton was an "everything" back. But he was also one of the most punishing running backs to ever play. The reason people forget that is because he spent just as much time running around and past defenders as he did running over them. But Sweetness was known for never voluntarily running out of bounds. He looked to hit someone.

I would put players like Peterson and Tomlinson in that same category. Backs with all the power they need to punish defenders, but their game is so well rounded they kinda fall out of the discussion when it comes to "power" backs.

Then there is a guy like Marshawn Lynch. Who is sort of an anomaly. I don't know if I would categorize him as a power back. But he gets the results of a power back because he runs so damn angry. 

Archived