POST GAME GB at MIN week 12 (24-17 Loss, 4-6-1)

squire12

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Jon Gruden was coming off a 10-6 season in which the Raiders made it to the AFC Divisional game.  McCarthy is on pace to miss the playoffs for the second season in a row.  Not akin at all.

Correct! McCarthy has won a Super Bowl, something Jon Gruden hadn't done yet. Probably ought to ask for more than a 1st! :D

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I suppose it's possible, but does McCarthy want to go to Jacksonville if there's a mandate that Blake Bortles is his starting QB?  I'd venture a guess he'd threaten to "retire" if that were the case.

Ha!

"No....no.......anything but Blake!"

Just now, cannondale said:

If that's true - which it is - why is it a forgone conclusion that MM HAS to go ?

It's not IMO.

I've pointed to Sean Payton repeatedly. He had a bad stretch (which resulted in improved draft capital, which resulted in an improved roster, which resulted in success).

I still think it'd be a mistake to let MM go.

We're on pace for a top 11 pick, another first rounder. Loads of cap space and a really good crop of YR2 players in 2019.

I still think a McCarthy led GB team in 2019 is probably our best chance for success.

Could use another assistant coach reboot though....

I'n not going to lose sleep either way - and the biggest indicator for me might be his lack of a longer contract extension, but this roster sucks

Rodgers

Bahk

Bulaga (barely)

Jones

Adams

Clark

Alexander

Martinez (barely)

Everyone else is expendable or non-needle movers. Is the Lincoln Lawyer guy or the Flippio guy gonna win despite this ? I don't think so

Just now, incognito_man said:

It's not IMO.

I've pointed to Sean Payton repeatedly. He had a bad stretch (which resulted in improved draft capital, which resulted in an improved roster, which resulted in success).

We're on pace for a top 11 pick, another first rounder. Loads of cap space and a really good crop of YR2 players in 2019.

I still think a McCarthy led GB team in 2019 is probably our best chance for success.

This is word for word how I feel, but I feel like Gute won't accept that.  I'm resigned to McCarthy's fate at this point, and that's why this year has become about rooting for us to save McCarthy.  8 wins keeps him I think. 

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

This is word for word how I feel, but I feel like Gute won't accept that.  I'm resigned to McCarthy's fate at this point, and that's why this year has become about rooting for us to save McCarthy.  8 wins keeps him I think. 

I think, as much as I hate it, it might boil down to the tone of a potential end-of-season interview between Rodgers and Gute (and maybe even MM in the room).

There's a lot of speculation on the Rodgers/MM relationship and it comes down to how Gute interprets it.

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I think, as much as I hate it, it might boil down to the tone of a potential end-of-season interview between Rodgers and Gute (and maybe even MM in the room).

There's a lot of speculation on the Rodgers/MM relationship and it comes down to how Gute interprets it.

I'd pay money to be a fly on the wall during that meeting.  McCarthy would probably be savage.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

The argument I've made is that he's done nothing outside of that TD on a busted coverage to show he's worth giving any more snaps to.  We're clearly still in the "competing for a playoff" mentality, and if/when we get eliminated I'm all aboard the giving Tonyan snaps to see what we have.  But the reality is that Kendricks and Lewis are going to be more productive today than Tonyan.

That's not the reality when he's getting 1 snap. That's your opinion. The reality is that our offense hasn't been playing well with Kendricks and Marcedes or getting good production out of the TE position.

33 minutes ago, cannondale said:

If that's true - which it is - why is it a forgone conclusion that MM HAS to go ?

It doesn't have to be one thing or the other. That's why. 

I thought you hated Mac for some reason lol

27 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I don't think there'd be a difference between 8 and 5 wins if both result in no playoffs.

I'd prefer the draft capital now.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

It's not IMO.

I'm going to try to debunk this myth that Payton had a bad stretch...keep in mind as I type this, I don't know which way it is going to go.

Before I do the research, I'm guessing that the Saints lost due to defensive inadequacies, not poor offensive play.  Payton is an offensive minded head coach, as is McCarthy.  If they are to be judged, let it be on offense first.

So....here I go...I see that the mighty Saints went 7-9 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2016.  I believe Brees was healthy for those 4 seasons.

Offensive rankings in 2012...2nd in total yards per game.  3rd in points per game.

Defensive rankings in 2012...32nd in total yards per game.  31st in points per game.

Offensive rankings in 2014...1st in total yards.  9th points per game.

Defensive rankings in 2014...31st in total yards per game.  28'th points per game.

Offensive rankings in 2015....2nd in total yards.  8'th in points per game.

Defensive rankings in 2015...31st in total yards per game.  32nd in points per game.

Offensive rankings in 2016...1st in total yards per game.  2nd in points per game.

Defensive rankings in 2016...27'th in total yards per game.  31st in points per game.

There, myth debunked, Payton's offense held up it's end of the bargain.  Defense was the liability.  Sure that falls to the head coach, but let's not act like Payton's offense ever struggled like Macs has lately.

Archived