23andMe/Ancestry

BayRaider

54 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Given your track record, probably not a bad thing you aren't giving out DNA deposits anymore 

I was rubbing my palms together greedily waitin on this roast to load as soon as I got your notification 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2018 at 5:39 PM, gopherwrestler said:

Got mine back. 100% American.... I wasn’t shocked

Joking right lol, no such thing as just “American”. You can be Native American or European American with a bunch of european backgrounds. Caucasian Americans are basically European muts for the most part.

On 11/28/2018 at 7:01 AM, Tyty said:

You joke but honestly it might be true since I got a stem cell transplant lol.

You might be a Chimera from an immunological point of view, it's not uncommon.  The saliva tests these companies use to source the DNA would contain white blood cells and those are most likely to have the DNA of your stem cell donor.  Depends on the success of the myeloablative conditioning and the level of engraftment of your transplant. The MDs certainly assessed your HLA- type before the procedure -  but since its very rarely a perfect match - it wouldn't be too hard to know which is you and which isn't in terms of these ancestry tests. I think you get some HLA info from 23andMe, but not all alleles

Congrats on a successful outcome

On 11/28/2018 at 10:53 AM, freak_of_nature said:

My mother did it and it connected her with some cousin she didn't know about.

I have a friend who's adopted and knows nothing about her birth parents, and this connected her with her sister (well, half-sister). She always had a weird feeling because she "isn't related to anyone except my kids" and, well, now she is. It's funny because one of them is a small, petite woman and the other is a 5'11" Amazon - but they have the same face and mannerisms. 

• 2 months later...

Ran myself, parents, and other family members DNA through a health tool called Promethease. Basically tells you what your health risk factors are. Everyone came back pretty clean. Except me. I have a rare DNA gene in like 0.0001% of the population that is the main marker for something called Leber Optic Atrophy (total blindness). This condition usually affects males 20-35 years old. 82% of people with this DNA gene end up with this condition. 82%. I’m 30 so I have an 82% chance of going blind within 5 years according to science. Trying to prepare myself, both mentally, and lifestyle if it does happen. 

On 2/28/2019 at 12:02 AM, BayRaider said:

Ran myself, parents, and other family members DNA through a health tool called Promethease. Basically tells you what your health risk factors are. Everyone came back pretty clean. Except me. I have a rare DNA gene in like 0.0001% of the population that is the main marker for something called Leber Optic Atrophy (total blindness). This condition usually affects males 20-35 years old. 82% of people with this DNA gene end up with this condition. 82%. I’m 30 so I have an 82% chance of going blind within 5 years according to science. Trying to prepare myself, both mentally, and lifestyle if it does happen. 

Yikes.

Do you have any vision issues, now?

Not sure how accurate that is, but Im seriously praying you fall in that 18% if it is.  :(

Archived