Packers fire Head Coach Mike McCarthy; Joe Philbin named interim HC

IDOG_det

16 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Good move Green Bay. Desperately need a fresh face:

jeff-fisher-e70ae315-7493-480a-9ce4-dadd

Because he's the hero Green Bay deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Dark Knight.

3 hours ago, Leader said:

If AR is the issue - which I'm not sold is entirely the case, but have been whispering about for some time now as a distinct possibilithy - my "solution" if it was acceptable to MM - would have been to innoculate the organization from him somewhat by hiring a high flying OC and letting him call the plays / handle the offense on game day.

Problems posed would have been the curtailing of MM power - would he accept that - and any successful OC under AR would move up the list of potential HCs - so hanging on to the solution might have been a problem.

Those are good points, Leader.  It's a difficult situation, no doubt about that.

11 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

No one is criticizing Ted Thompson in all of this. But why?

That's what I really tried to convey to the McCarthy haters.  McCarthy is very bland offensively, but it still works because it demands proper execution.  Can't execute when you've got Randall Cobb, Jake Kumerow and a 5th and 6th round rookie at receiver and Rodgers not playing well at all. 

Thompson had some incredible drafts and did a damn fine job for a damn long time, but his 2015 and 2017 drafts killed McCarthy. 

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Maybe its as simple as things got stale and he could benefit from a fresh start....

Kinda what I’ve been saying. Everyone wants to only look at Aaron vs Mike, when in reality the team has underperformed for years now, and they've consistently looked out coached, unprepared and undisciplined. It was just time. 

11 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

The Vikings played the Packers last week and this week we went into Foxboro to play the Patriots.  It was interesting to watch the game against the Patriots because Tom Brady didn't do anything spectacular in the game.  What he did do was consistently take what a very good defense would give him.  He didn't have any all-world throws.  He just worked his gameplan and looked like a player who was under far less pressure than Aaron Rodgers did the week before.  He was consistently good.  Aaron was inconsistently great.  Brady beat us.  We beat Rodgers.  

It goes both ways.  We've seen Rodgers pass on the short, easy completions in favor of high risk, high reward throws.  But we've also seen McCarthy call plays on 3rd and short where the nearest route is 10+ yards down the field.

6 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I think his slight frame and injury history made MM cautious about overusing him. He's had an ankle dislocated, 2 MCLs and a hammy the last 3 years. Plus he's like 5' 9" and like 195 right now too.

He's not built to be a feature back.

Same thing with Matt Breida. We all want to see him get the bulk of the carries week in and week out, he's clearly the most talented runner we have on the team (and that would include McKinnon, whom is a very good overall weapon, but leaves quite a bit to be desired as an actual running back), but he simply doesn't have the body to hold up as a feature back, and like Jones, has had a litany of injuries dating back to high school (particularly shoulder injuries). It sucks, because you want to utilize your best players play in and play out, but sometimes it really isn't what is best in the long run. 

2 hours ago, Siv said:

Kinda what I’ve been saying. Everyone wants to only look at Aaron vs Mike, when in reality the team has underperformed for years now, and they've consistently looked out coached, unprepared and undisciplined. It was just time. 

They really remind me of the late era Norv Chargers. Granted, Rodgers is better then Rivers and the Packers have had much more team success. But the same thing happened with us in 2011-2012. Things just got stale and it was just time for a change. 

11 hours ago, Stevein2012 said:

If the decision has been made to fire him now why wait until the end of the year?  So he can have 4 weeks of answering questions about if he thinks he's going to get fired?

I have no idea. Usually teams that go that route have some interest in the rest of their staff. Not sure you can say that here. 

7 hours ago, Fl0nkerton said:

lol the usual suspects are in the running for haters of the year in this thread.

Huh? Don't follow. 

43 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I have no idea. Usually teams that go that route have some interest in the rest of their staff. Not sure you can say that here. 

Huh? Don't follow. 

Was just pointing out that its the same usual suspects on the forum that have to toot their own horns when something, anything, negative happens to Green Bay lol.

3 hours ago, King Joffrey said:

Rodgers TD-INT ratio this season is one of the lamest stats I've ever seen.  Dude has been check down charlie and throws the ball away more than any QB I've ever seen in a season.  You can tell watching him play he cares about the stat way too much.

LMAO @ check down

That's literally the opposite of what he is doing and it's infuriating. If he would check down even half as often as his counterparts GB is probably leading the division right now.

Rodgers is infuriating like half the fan base or more because he ignores checkdown options with impunity.

he probably has like 30+ overthrows on sideline deep routes though.

8 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Maybe its as simple as things got stale and he could benefit from a fresh start....

Yup.  I've heard a number of (relatively well-connected) reporters saying that a lot of the things they're hearing coming out of Green Bay post-MM-firing are extremely similar to the same things that came out of Philly when Andy Reid was let go.  That's not to say that MM is going to be able to go on to have the same success that Reid has post-firing or, on the other side of the coin, that the Packers are going to be able to find success as immediately as the Eagles did (they did have to go through the bandaid rip of Chip Kelly - which Green Bay might as well - first).  But the stagnation was just going to continue if they stuck with the status quo.

The one thing I think we can expect is that McCarthy is going to see one thing in common with Reid: He's not going to stay on the market very long.  He'll have another head coaching gig by February - quite possibly before this season's Super Bowl is even played.

8 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

That's what some people think:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/03/packers-fire-mike-mccarthy-chargers-beat-steelers-texans-winning-streak-kareem-hunt-fallout-week-13-mmqb

That’s how it was in Philly in 2012. At that point, few in the public saw Reid as an offensive innovator anymore. Then he went to Kansas City, reimagined his offense, first for Alex Smith, then Patrick Mahomes, and today he’s seen as one of the most forward-thinking coaches in football. Meanwhile, the Eagles lived and learned through the Chip Kelly era, and came out of it with a Lombardi Trophy two years later.

Everyone won, in the end. Now, we’ll get to see if that sort of thing could happen again, under circumstances that are pretty similar.

Archived