16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

McDaniels just seems like the logical choice much to my chagrin.  On one hand, he's proven he knows how to coach offenses and he's worked closely with Tom Brady, which bodes well for his ability to work with Aaron Rodgers.  But on the other hand, the Colts' situation still looms large.  He's got questions to answer on that regard, but if the FO signs off on him I will too.  I understand Matt Campbell is your guy, but that's a TON of risk.  I don't see the Packers making that kind of gamble.

Re: Matt Campbell, not so much my guy, just who was sold hardest to me. He sounds amazing off the field. I want to hear more about scheme and adaptability before I'd be comfortable that he'd be the answer. I think it's a risk but he seems like a high floor type of guy. Intelligence and leadership goes a long way. Don't think he could bomb out as a hire, but is the leap too big right now to make it a home run hire?

Re: McDaniels, I've been dreaming about Rodgers in that offense for years now. The question I'd want answered there is - has he burned too many bridges in the coaching world to surround himself with a good staff? He'd have to prove in interviews that he has good people willing to come with him. If he can do that, and we see a strong staff hired around him, I can get on board.

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

What would it do for you if part of the Colts debacle was that he wanted the "potential" GB job like it has been rumored/conspired?

As much as I'm not sure McDaniels would turn down a job to bet on MM getting canned... this is just a thought.

I suppose it's possible, but I don't think that's what changed McDaniels' mind.  I think it was a combination of things.  You could easily make the argument that the Colts' gig was the least attractive especially given the uncertainty regarding Luck's shoulder.  And from all accounts Kraft opened up the checkbook.

Just now, Mr Anonymous said:

Re: McDaniels, I've been dreaming about Rodgers in that offense for years now. The question I'd want answered there is - has he burned too many bridges in the coaching world to surround himself with a good staff? He'd have to prove in interviews that he has good people willing to come with him. If he can do that, and we see a strong staff hired around him, I can get on board.

Winning cures all.  And if the Packers are successful, coaches are going to want to work with him.  And there have been some reports that assistants are lining themselves up to coach with him.  From what I read, McDaniels reached out to his assistants that he left with the Colts, so if that's true that helps alleviate part of the issues I had with him.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Winning cures all.  And if the Packers are successful, coaches are going to want to work with him.  And there have been some reports that assistants are lining themselves up to coach with him.  From what I read, McDaniels reached out to his assistants that he left with the Colts, so if that's true that helps alleviate part of the issues I had with him.

Good point regarding the reports he has people lining up to join him. If that's true, it would answer the only reservation I have.

8 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Yeah .. thought it was odd.  Just not at all into the Green Bay gig.  He said it was a great job, just not where he wanted to be.  I think it has something to do with his wife .. not so sure she isn't from the Cleveland area.  Arians stepped away from coaching in part to spend more time with his wife, and I think she has a pretty big say in where they go next.

1 minute ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Re: Matt Campbell, not so much my guy, just who was sold hardest to me. He sounds amazing off the field. I want to hear more about scheme and adaptability before I'd be comfortable that he'd be the answer. I think it's a risk but he seems like a high floor type of guy. Intelligence and leadership goes a long way. Don't think he could bomb out as a hire, but is the leap too big right now to make it a home run hire?

I think we're all asking the wrong questions about McDaniels.  We should be asking how much of a role has he really played in creating "Belichicks' offense/system/dynasty?  We've already heard that McD was not very good at making in-game decisions and adjustments while in Denver, and that he only knows and wants to play the NE system.  Is he too rigid and inflexible?  Is Belichick to be credited for making most or all of the in-game adjustments that NE is famous for, and what role has McD really played in steering the offense of this team?  Many inside and outside the NE org say McD is very good at following orders - Bill's orders - and that's about it.

Not saying McDaniels couldn't do the job - just wondering if our focus on his past decisions and transgressions are clouding where the real questions should be focused.

1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

I think we're all asking the wrong questions about McDaniels.  We should be asking how much of a role has he really played in creating "Belichicks' offense/system/dynasty?  We've already heard that McD was not very good at making in-game decisions and adjustments while in Denver, and that he only knows and wants to play the NE system.  Is he too rigid and inflexible?  Is Belichick to be credited for making most or all of the in-game adjustments that NE is famous for, and what role has McD really played in steering the offense of this team?  Many inside and outside the NE org say McD is very good at following orders - Bill's orders - and that's about it.

Not saying McDaniels couldn't do the job - just wondering if our focus on his past decisions and transgressions are clouding where the real questions should be focused.

Those are some scary thoughts no doubt. All the more reason his surrounding staff better be strong. If it turns out to be true that McDaniels has people turning down other opportunities so they can join him in Green Bay, I'll take comfort in their belief in him.

Herman:

How about this scenario Packer fans? After picking up a win, the Steelers lose to NE, the Saints & then a shocker to Cincinnati—missing the playoffs. The Steelers realize Mike McCarthy a native of Pittsburgh is available & make the move. Would you be interested in Mike Tomlin?!

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Herman:

How about this scenario Packer fans? After picking up a win, the Steelers lose to NE, the Saints & then a shocker to Cincinnati—missing the playoffs. The Steelers realize Mike McCarthy a native of Pittsburgh is available & make the move. Would you be interested in Mike Tomlin?!

No.  I want an offensive-minded HC.

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

Herman:

I also want nothing to do with Tomlin as a head coach. "Glorified cheerleader." Love the emotion, but that can only take you so far. Undisciplined teams. Number of Steelers fans want him gone. No thank you.

Archived