Week 14 Atlanta @ Green Bay "I Believe"

skibrett15

Ahhh we got a few good years out of most of those guys.  Only real miss was Sherrod and it was due to injury.  Keep in mind we were drafting very late in the 1st round every year.  Gutenheimer love what he's doing.  IR some nicked up guys and take a look see at some others.  Brilliant way to take advantage of the situation.  Maybe he'll uncover a gem or two.  Maybe with a competent training staff some of these guys can stay on the field for a change.  King ughhh.  Hammy/Groin.  Our training staff absolutely is the worst in the league.

33 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

GB top picks between 2011-2017.

2011 Sherrod.

2012 Perry.

2013 D. Jones.

2014 HHCD.

2015 Randall

2016 Clark

2017 King

1 HIT out of the last 7 top picks so far. Ouch.

Not bagging you but what’s your criteria between a hit or a miss?

23 minutes ago, dcerb44 said:

Not bagging you but what’s your criteria between a hit or a miss?

You're correct that a HIT is invariably a subjective determination.

A guy like Sherrod would, in my view, be an injury MISS.

Same goes for King thus far. When your top pick misses most of the games during his first two seasons (and is either dinged up or exits early from several others) that would be an injury MISS (so far) to me.

Someone like Randall would be a square peg/round hole out of position MISS (for the Green Bay Packers) because, it seems more apparent every day, he was drafted to play CB when he should have been inserted at Safety.

Perry is both an injury and out of position MISS to as he has not played nearly enough games due to numerous injuries and has always seemed to be a more natural 4-3 DE (as he himself said was the case before he was drafted).

Datone Jones may have been another out of position MISS and miscast as a 3-4 DE, but I believe he'd have been meh in any scheme. He was just a talent MISS.

As for HHCD was a top pick brought in to clean up the disaster at Safety and played decently for a while before seemingly making a business decision to get our of GB in year 3.

As others have documented, difference makers are typically selected in round 1 or, to a lesser extent, round 2. 

Sherrod, Perry, Jones, HHCD, and Randall were not difference makers during their time in GB and King (thus far) just can't get on the field.

Such lackluster, or worse, play from top picks can get a coach fired.

3 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

2011 Sherrod.

2012 Perry.

2013 D. Jones.

2014 HHCD.

2015 Randall

2016 Clark

2017 King

I know what you're trying to get at, but when you continue arguments with this you only come off disingenuous.  There's little argument that TT's draft record in recent years, but trying to hold some of these against him and the rest of the FO isn't right either.  There's no way to project that Derek Sherrod was going to end up with what would amount to a career-ending injury, so you don't really hold that against the coaching staff or front office.  Especially when he had no injury history at Mississippi State.

Nick Perry was the type of gamble that people clamor for, and it didn't work out.  He wasn't supposed to be available when the Packers picked, and he played a premium position.  Unfortunately, he hasn't lived up to the next contract largely in part due to injuries.

Datone Jones was a round peg/square hole situation.  The FO projected that he'd be able to put on weight, and he never was able to do it.  And he wasn't a strong enough pass rusher to convert to OLB.  I blame the FO for this one.

As easy as it is to hate on HHCD, he was a solid safety.  I wouldn't say he was a hit nor would I say he was a bust.

Damarious Randall had talent, he just was a nutcase and the Packers had a big need at CB.  His play with Cleveland shows you that he was a safety, which is what he played at Arizona State.  This one falls on the coaching staff.

Kenny Clark was a hit obviously.  Kevin King falls in the same category as Derek Sherrod, although it's way too early to write him off.  Remember how many people were ready to write off Davante Adams.

33 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

There's little argument that TT's draft record in recent years,

"There's little argument that TT's draft record in recent years" ... is what?

Elite?

Is that the word you failed to add to your incomplete sentence above?

I only inquire because I seem to recall a poster referring to the prior GM's drafting record as "Elite" before the Packers demoted him. Can't recall who that was exactly.

Anyway, as far as disingenuousness is concerned, I've got to ask you about the following scenario.

Would you consider it to be disingenuous if, pre-demotion, a poster insisted that if "You look at [TT's] draft record it stands up as well as anyone's?," but post-demotion that same poster suddenly changed his position and began asserting that the drafting record really wasn't so swell after all? 

I would.

6 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Ahhh we got a few good years out of most of those guys.  Only real miss was Sherrod and it was due to injury.  Keep in mind we were drafting very late in the 1st round every year.  Gutenheimer love what he's doing.  IR some nicked up guys and take a look see at some others.  Brilliant way to take advantage of the situation.  Maybe he'll uncover a gem or two.  Maybe with a competent training staff some of these guys can stay on the field for a change.  King ughhh.  Hammy/Groin.  Our training staff absolutely is the worst in the league.

You can't use the excuse that we were Drafting late.  New England has been Drafting late and they seem to reload every year. Not one player from the 2015 Dratf class is on the roster. Poor scouting? TT would always say Best Player avalable, yet it seens they would pick for need and gamble on workout wonders from 2d tear programs in the early rounds somtimes. Case in point Josh Jones and Jason Spriggs. So CB, S, RB, WR are now needs when look at how many we have drafted, then let walk. Eveybody keeps saying we need EDGE's All the Mocks I have seen the Pack Taking an EDGE 1st. IMHO this team needs BIG guys DL and OL. Yes Clark is the real deal. They completly wiffed on OL last Draft after taking three WR. Sorry for the Rant.       , 

14 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

2011 Sherrod.

2012 Perry.

2013 D. Jones.

2014 HHCD.

2015 Randall

2016 Clark

2017 King

This is probably the main reason why TT is not the GM any longer.

15 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

2011 Sherrod.

2012 Perry.

2013 D. Jones.

2014 HHCD.

2015 Randall

2016 Clark

2017 King

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

This is probably the main reason why TT is not the GM any longer.

I think if we are being fair here, he did find players in those drafts where he "busted" with his first pick.  Bust being subjective.

It is the 2015 draft class that got him demoted.

1) Randall

2) Rollins

3) Montgomery

4) Ryan

5) Hundley

6) Ripkowski

7) Ringo

7b) Bachman

Those should be the guys fighting tooth and nail right now for a second contract.  That kind of effort, to get paid, is what takes good teams to great teams.

So, since we aren't giving any of those guys real dollars on a second contract, I hope Gute signs 2 mid tier free agents and 1 upper tier free agent.

From The Dope Sheet

The Green Bay Packers will take on the Atlanta Falcons this Sunday at Lambeau Field.

• Green Bay is 10-4 at home against Atlanta during the regular season.
  • The Packers have won three of the last five regular-season meetings against the Falcons.
  • Nine of the last 11 regular-season matchups between the two have been decided by eight points or less, including six by three or fewer points.
  • Including the postseason, it is the sixth time the Packers and Falcons have played in six years, with Atlanta winning three of the five previous matchups and each team winning their home games.
  • It is the third straight time the Falcons’ visit to Lambeau Field has been in Week 14.
  • Dating back to 2002, Green Bay is 11-5 against NFC South teams at home during the regular season, including wins in seven of the last eight contests (pro-football-reference.com).
  • The Packers’ .688 winning percentage at home against NFC South teams since 2002 is No. 1 in the NFC and No. 5 in the NFL over that span.
  • QB Aaron Rodgers has started seven home games against NFC South teams, throwing 22 touchdowns and four interceptions with a passer rating of 119.5. Rodgers has recorded a passer rating of plus-109.0 in six of the seven contests, including each of the last five (Sportradar).
  • The Packers have won each of the past five home games against NFC South teams with Rodgers as the starter.
  • It is the first time since Weeks 1-2 that the Packers will play back-to-back games at Lambeau Field.

More from The Dope Sheet

Since 2006:
The Packers are 39-18 in the regular season in December/January, a .684 winning percentage that ranks No. 1 in the NFC and No. 3 in the NFL over that span

Dating back to 2006, Green Bay is 24-6 at home in regular-season games in December/January, ranking No. 2 in the NFL with a winning percentage of .800

With Rodgers as the starter, the Packers are 24-11 in the month of December, including 16-2 at home . Rodgers had a streak of 16 straight wins at home in December (2008-16), the second longest in the Super Bowl era behind only Patriots QB Tom Brady (19 games from 2002-12).

As a starter, Rodgers has thrown 72 touchdowns and just 19 interceptions with a passer rating of 101.3 in the month of December.

18 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

More from The Dope Sheet

Since 2006:
The Packers are 39-18 in the regular season in December/January, a .684 winning percentage that ranks No. 1 in the NFC and No. 3 in the NFL over that span

Dating back to 2006, Green Bay is 24-6 at home in regular-season games in December/January, ranking No. 2 in the NFL with a winning percentage of .800

With Rodgers as the starter, the Packers are 24-11 in the month of December, including 16-2 at home . Rodgers had a streak of 16 straight wins at home in December (2008-16), the second longest in the Super Bowl era behind only Patriots QB Tom Brady (19 games from 2002-12).

As a starter, Rodgers has thrown 72 touchdowns and just 19 interceptions with a passer rating of 101.3 in the month of December.

Joe Philbin is keeping this stat breakdown under his pillow....and he's sleeping like a baby :)

Packers added a Fullback to the ACTIVE roster - Superback Danny Vitale from Northwestern

Apparently they promoted him last week, but I missed it.
Jimmy Graham and the other senior citizen TE's ain't getting the job done on the blocking front, back to the FB.

https://www.packers.com/news/super-back-danny-vitale-hungry-to-find-his-place-in-nfl?campaign=sf203858207_TW_C-Content-GB_CT-Stories-GB_sf203858207&sf203858207=1

“Dan is very versatile,” said Lowry, who played against Vitale in the Illinois 7A state championship game back in 2011. “He can line up in the slot. He can play the tight end position, but also fullback, too. He can do it on special teams, as well. He’s a guy who can do a lot of different things, which I why I think he’s a very valuable player.”

Archived