Just how good IS this New England team?

CKS97

They are certainly less talented then some other teams but easily one of the best coached teams and well prepared teams in the AFC.  That will always keep them in the game especially if Brady is protected by the OL.  They are beatable but it won't be easy.

28 minutes ago, Asciimo said:

going to arrowhead is going to be realllly bad for this team. also want nothing to do with the ravens and broncos.

Ask the Patriots how going to Denver worked for them.

They haven't won a road playoff game since January 2007

28 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Brady & BB will always find a way to win, but unlike past seasons their SB appearance is not a foregone conclusion. If they weren't in the AFCE this year (say they had the Chargers schedule), I think they would be playing in the Wildcard round.

It's still a possibility. If they trip up against Miami/Pittsburgh and potentially cancel out a KC loss, or if Houston stays hot.

They have to fend off 2 other teams.

15 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

Brady & BB will always find a way to win, but unlike past seasons their SB appearance is not a foregone conclusion. If they weren't in the AFCE this year (say they had the Chargers schedule), I think they would be playing in the Wildcard round.

2007 and 2016 are probably the only years it was a “foregone conclusion”

17 minutes ago, lancerman said:

2007 and 2016 are probably the only years it was a “foregone conclusion”

I wouldn't say that. I've been watching the Pats consistently for a couple years now, thanks to living with a die-hard Pats fan, and they looked so other worldly on the field compared to the rest of the NFL - regardless of talent. At worst, they were the second best team in the AFC. This year they look mortal.

16 hours ago, CKS97 said:

Ask the Patriots how going to Denver worked for them.

They haven't won a road playoff game since January 2007

... They've played at home for ALL thier playoff games since 2007 (excluding game at Denver). How are you supposed win road playoff games when you don't play road playoff games? Lol, so misleading. 

1 hour ago, NJerseypaint said:

I wouldn't say that. I've been watching the Pats consistently for a couple years now, thanks to living with a die-hard Pats fan, and they looked so other worldly on the field compared to the rest of the NFL - regardless of talent. At worst, they were the second best team in the AFC. This year they look mortal.

2001- nowhere near Super Bowl favorites

2003- Manning had an MVP year

2004- they had Manning having the best QB year since 1984 and a 15-1 Steelers team who they lost to 

2007- they were clearly the favorites 

2011- had a horrendous defense and weren’t viewed as anything special 

2014- the Pats hadn’t made it over the hump in awhile, the Ravens were viewed as Kryptonite. They were down by 14 points twice in he divisional round

2016- Steelers were viewed as a threat. They just crapped the bed

2017- Jaguars were viewed as a huge threat who almost beat them. Steelers also played them very competitively in the regular season 

2007 was a special case and 2016 had a weak AFC field. Those were the only years. Nobody would have been surprised to see any of those other years go a different way

I mentioned it in the AFC vs. NFC thread, but NE's nowhere near the top 3 teams in the NFL this year.    As others mentioned, playing in the AFCE has really helped them this year.

They've gone out and won 1 road game vs. a good team - CHI, and it required 2 ST TD's to do that.  They've gotten crushed at DET and at TEN.   I'd agree it's no foregone conclusion they run the table, either, since MIA always gives them trouble, and PIT is still on the schedule (losing Conner hurts a ton though).  

At home, that's a team I never discount with BB & Brady.  On the road, though, especially if there are 2 of them....I don't see it this year.   Getting the 2 seed is crucial for them.

Archived