Just how good IS this New England team?

CKS97

They seem a little different from past Patriot teams.

Little older, they don't have explosive playmakers, Gronk isn't the Gronk of a few years back, Brady IS 41, Belichick is no spring chicken, they don't have a great pass rush.

And yet.... they seemingly never lose at home, they find ways to find ways, when a team is addicted to winning they seemingly have eternal winning DNA.

At times, they haven't been great on the road. They seem to be the team that cannot afford to slip up in terms of HFA- they are invincible at home, but when they went to Denver twice in recent years they have been tripped up.

Given the age and potential salary cap uncertainty (lot of guys are due for new contracts next year), could this be their last real shot?

I mean, can Brady keep this up at 42? How much longer does Belichick coach?

3 hours ago, CKS97 said:

They seem a little different from past Patriot teams.

Little older, they don't have explosive playmakers, Gronk isn't the Gronk of a few years back, Brady IS 41, Belichick is no spring chicken, they don't have a great pass rush.

And yet.... they seemingly never lose at home, they find ways to find ways, when a team is addicted to winning they seemingly have eternal winning DNA.

At times, they haven't been great on the road. They seem to be the team that cannot afford to slip up in terms of HFA- they are invincible at home, but when they went to Denver twice in recent years they have been tripped up.

Given the age and potential salary cap uncertainty (lot of guys are due for new contracts next year), could this be their last real shot?

I mean, can Brady keep this up at 42? How much longer does Belichick coach?

I have only watched them a bit but I would say they are still good enough to make the SB. If Brady doesn't have his way with the Steelers, then we know he is on the wrong side of 41.  If Gronk is healthy, that is a different team. I am not familiar with their roster changes in 2019  in UFA but I would expect BB to keep the team good as always, he is the best for a reason.  

They're still a very good team, but I don't see them beating any of the other elite teams in the playoffs. For the first time in a long time, they aren't the favorites to win the title. I could see any team beating them in the post-season and a first round exit isn't out of the question. 

I think they're in the same place as most of the league's playoff-bound teams. Deeply flawed but capable of doing enough to win pretty much any game. They have the 7th ranked offense and 19th ranked defense by DVOA. That's not far off from where they were in 2016.

They've laid a few eggs, but their strength of victory is still high. They've beaten four teams that are currently in playoff position. I think they'd be slight dogs against NO and LAR and that's it, but I don't think they should be big favorites against any team, except maybe for BAL/MIA/IND.

They are ranked 9th in total team DVOA. There has only been one Patriots team ranked worse than 6th in total team DVOA that made it to the Super Bowl - the 2001 team, ranked 11th.

Their next two games @MIA and @PIT will give a good idea of where they're at.

1 hour ago, childofpudding said:

Their next two games @MIA and @PIT will give a good idea of where they're at.

I actually think they will lose on Sunday @Miami (they have only won once there in the last five years, and the Fins are in the thick of the WC race). However, I wouldn't be surprised at this point if they beat the Steelers. I don't know what's going on with them.

Also, while they should beat Buffalo at home, something tells me that their game with Buffalo in a few weeks may be interesting. The Bills aren't that good, but they have played tough in spots.

10 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

I actually think they will lose on Sunday @Miami (they have only won once there in the last five years, and the Fins are in the thick of the WC race). However, I wouldn't be surprised at this point if they beat the Steelers. I don't know what's going on with them.

Also, while they should beat Buffalo at home, something tells me that their game with Buffalo in a few weeks may be interesting. The Bills aren't that good, but they have played tough in spots.

Yeah, they always **** the bed in Miami. Wouldn't be surprised if they go 1-1 in those two, or even 0-2. Tough team to predict right now.

Archived