Spiderman: Far from home

NcFinest9erFan

Iron Man turned into the person who sacrificed himself for everyone at the end of the first Avengers.  His character development capped there.  Like I said, this is not the type of series nor movie to complain about character development.

59 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

What substance really can a high school kid with superhero abilities have?  These aren't arthouse movies or even movies propped up to be on the artistic level of such movies like Nolan's trilogy was.  These are summer blockbuster movies based on comic books for mass appeal to kids and adults, men and women and everybody.  What real depth can you give him other than high school level stuff while juggling extreme superhero responsibilities while maintaining a mass appeal? 

That's like going into a Lars Von Trier movie and complaining it's not funny enough or hopeful enough or that you couldn't take kids to see it. 

Homecoming got into government actions screwing over civilian contractors. This creates Vulture. That was as far as it went that I can recall. Maybe if you squinted you could get "Poverty creates criminals".

That said, the marvel movies, for being super hero movies, for the most part have done a strong job of making points without being obnoxious about it. Iron Man 1 got into Military contractors and the defense department in 2008. While not as impressive as if it had been two/three years earlier, still was a fairly pointed stance at a time it may not have been the most welcome.

Age of Ultron and Civil War both discussed security vs safety. That's one of the reasons I think Black Panther is overrated. Some seem to think it's the only super hero movie that ever tried to make a point. 

29 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Everyone has had growth, but some more than others. With certain characters, there isn't a whole lot of places to go outside of the origin stories.

Steve; Not a whole lot

Tony: From IM1 to EG, he went from self-absorbed playboy who didn't really care about anyone/anything else to sacrificing himself to save everyone. As Steve said, "... the only thing you fight for is yourself. You are not the guy to make the sacrifice play, to lay down on a wire and let the other guy crawl over you"

Thor: He grew as a person and became less of a war-mongering dolt and learned what it takes to lead/rule. He lost his entire family, his people, his world, and his hammer, THEN was beat by Thanos to then see his brother and best friend die. Fat Thor may have been a bit comedic, but it was due to tragedy that he let himself go.

Dr Strange: Outside of his origin movie, not a whole lot.

On another note, I'm not getting into the Spiderverse discussion. I haven't seen it and likely never will.

Fat Thor was one of two things, the running if his character arc for a laugh by the Russo Brothers because he wasn't one of their characters that they developed, or one of the greatest and realest portrayals of depression and PTSD that's been put on screen and I can't figure out which. 

Strange is about overcoming a handicap and being excellent elsewhere when your initial plan fails. They didn't do his downward spiral in the films much, but he also didn't have much screen time. He had his movie, got a little bit in IW and then was basically gone for 90% of end game. He's a guy for the next phase. 

GO WATCH SPIDERVERSE!!!

Edited by AlexGreen#20

13 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Iron Man turned into the person who sacrificed himself for everyone at the end of the first Avengers.  His character development capped there.  Like I said, this is not the type of series nor movie to complain about character development.

I feel like having a family and pretty much entirely changing his lifestyle was a big part in his development. He worked through his initial selfishness and became a better person and happier for it. 

21 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Fat Thor was one of two things, the running if his character arc for a laugh by the Russo Brothers because he wasn't one of their characters that they developed, or one of the greatest and realest portrayals of depression and PTSD that's been put on screen and I can't figure out which. 

With everything else that's been done, I can't imagine it being the first. Thor's depression is slowly built up throughout the movies and it really stood out in one scene (see below) in IW. He then goes on to get Stormbreaker and then thinks he kills Thanos, saving everyone. Only he failed again and it compounds with everything that happened prior. Fat Thor, while used in comedic fashion, is a fantastic depiction of depression.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

Everyone has had growth, but some more than others. With certain characters, there isn't a whole lot of places to go outside of the origin stories.

Steve; Not a whole lot

Tony: From IM1 to EG, he went from self-absorbed playboy who didn't really care about anyone/anything else to sacrificing himself to save everyone. As Steve said, "... the only thing you fight for is yourself. You are not the guy to make the sacrifice play, to lay down on a wire and let the other guy crawl over you"

Thor: He grew as a person and became less of a war-mongering dolt and learned what it takes to lead/rule. He lost his entire family, his people, his world, and his hammer, THEN was beat by Thanos to then see his brother and best friend die. Fat Thor may have been a bit comedic, but it was due to tragedy that he let himself go.

On another note, I'm not getting into the Spiderverse discussion. I haven't seen it and likely never will.

Go watch Spiderverse.

Its on Netflix now for anyone unaware.

Really liked it.

Ok another note, I don’t know why but I cannot stand into the spider verse. Tried watching it and couldn’t get though the first half hour. I love marvel and all that jazz so idk why I couldn’t get into it. 

6 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I'm not having this argument.  Into the Spiderverse is a cartoon.  Far From Home is a 160 million dollar budget live action movie in a series of 20 movies going for 10 years.  If you think there isn't a difference you can argue with yourself all day and my response will be, every time, get over it it's a blockbuster movie about a teenager with superhuman ability in a 20 film, 10 year series with such substance as Thor getting fat, Doctor Strange not being a pompous butthead, Iron Man not being a rich and pompous genius butthead, Thor not being a war hawk butthead and Captain America not turning into a bully. 

Over 10 years, what growth or substance has Steve Rogers or Iron Man or Thor or Doctor Strange really had? 

What does it being a cartoon have to do anything? It doesn't change the fact that Spiderverse is probably the best SM movie. Just like Batman Mask of the Phantasm is probably the best depiction of Batman on the big screen.

In terms of change for some of the main guys listed, it's much more slow and nuanced due to having the luxury of having multiple films. Tony, for example, had to slowly reconcile his own relationship with his parents especially his father.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SimsZilla said:

Really liked it.

Ok another note, I don’t know why but I cannot stand into the spider verse. Tried watching it and couldn’t get though the first half hour. I love marvel and all that jazz so idk why I couldn’t get into it. 

It's visual style is its biggest strength as well as its biggest weakness (well primarily during the action scenes). And that's a shame really. It's got some great action pieces, but the deliberate low framerate and editing keeps it from being as clear as it should be. Luckily, it's easier to follow on the small screen.

5 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Steve; Not a whole lot

You're missing out on possibly the best SM movie ever.

Just saw it. I would say it's mid tier, Homecoming was better.

Vulture was a better villain then the Syndrome rip off character. Jake as good as he was playing a character with no real motivation.

I'll admit I'm coming around to Zendaya as MJ. She wasn't phenomenal but I liked her better then Kirsten Dunst.
Flash still sucked.

Why did they just butcher the capability of Nick Fury? He was even less helpful then Happy.

If they were going the route of Falcon taking up the Shield then I think his appearance would have been worthwhile in this movie.

The cameo appearance and Ned were the best parts of this movie.

Overall this movie was solid but just barely.

5 hours ago, Manny/Patrick said:

Can we all agree that the illusions were the best part of the film? DC should take notes if they ever make scarecrow a main antagonist for his fear toxin

I couldn't help but think "They just nailed Scarecrow in an MCU movie" watching that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

Just saw it. I would say it's mid tier, Homecoming was better.

Vulture was a better villain then the Syndrome rip off character. Jake as good as he was playing a character with no real motivation.

I'll admit I'm coming around to Zendaya as MJ. She wasn't phenomenal but I liked her better then Kirsten Dunst.
Flash still sucked.

Why did they just butcher the capability of Nick Fury? He was even less helpful then Happy.

If they were going the route of Falcon taking up the Shield then I think his appearance would have been worthwhile in this movie.

The cameo appearance and Ned were the best parts of this movie.

Overall this movie was solid but just barely.

Mysterio existed before Syndrome. And did you wait for both credit scenes?

And Falcon and Bucky have their own tv series together.