MNF GDT: Minnesota at Seattle

Malfatron

5 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Vikes made a big mistake by signing Cousins. They should have kept Keenum for two more years, used some of that money on O-line, and drafted Lamar Jackson in Round 1 to groom behind Case. Keenum isn't great, but it was working in Minnesota. Cousins doesn't deserve the money that was paid to him.

They should have kept Keenum because he looks so good in Denver isn't he?

Keenum without that running game would have been a joke, I mean look at what he does with a running game, 15 tds 10 picks...

The Vikings gambled and lost, that happens. But don't act like Case was the answer.

The Vikings made two major mistakes in the offseason.  Signing Kirk Cousins was NOT one of those mistakes, IMO.  He was the best option available, and I don't have a problem with their decision to go with him.

The mistakes were neglecting the offensive line like they did and hiring John DeFilippo. 

They can fix these mistakes this offseason.  Get a couple of good guards in the draft and find an OC that works better with Mike Zimmer.  I'm just fine moving forward with Cousins.  We aren't going to get anyone any better at this point, so just improve the O-line and get a different OC.

6 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Vikes made a big mistake by signing Cousins. They should have kept Keenum for two more years, used some of that money on O-line, and drafted Lamar Jackson in Round 1 to groom behind Case. Keenum isn't great, but it was working in Minnesota. Cousins doesn't deserve the money that was paid to him.

Cousins is a better quarterback than Case Keenum.  If we were going to keep one of the QB's we had on the roster, I would have much rather gone with Teddy than Case.  Case was a one year wonder.  Cousins was the best option available.  He is good enough to win a Super Bowl, but he's no Tom Brady.  He isn't going to put the team on his back and get us there.  You have to put a team around him.  We have that team in every area except O-line.  Fix that and get a different offensive coordinator and we will be back in the hunt.  

Cousins had the worst primetime game record of any active QB going into that game. His big game struggles weren't a secret in the offseason. Signing a 3rd tier QB to that type of contract was absolutely a bad move. Would they currently be around .500 with Keenum, Bridgewater, or Lamar Jackson? Probably 

OC DeFilippo deserves a ton of heat.  But one part that is missed is how missed Tony Sparano is.   The bad G play is for sure injury related.  But they also have had Eflein and the T’s regress.  Now some regression occurs naturally with vets but that shouldn’t be affecting guys like Eflein. Losing Sparano is a really under appreciated story here IMO.  He had that OL at peak production.  

Cousins is the least of the 3 problems cited - OL and OC DeFilippo are far, far worse.  One big problem DeFilippo hasn’t adjusted at all to - with the bad OL play he’s still trying to run straight inside with no disguise.  And his pass scheme is calling for no safety valve routes from the RB where Cook could really help.   Instead they are still using routes which take 3 secs+ and the OL can’t hold up for that long.  Defilippo has shown zero ability to adjust given their problems - that’s been the most eye opening weakness he’s shown. 

Cousins though will need to play big in the bright lights to quiet the critics.  Until then he will always be questioned.  Comes with the big contract territory.  

2 hours ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Cousins had the worst primetime game record of any active QB going into that game. His big game struggles weren't a secret in the offseason. Signing a 3rd tier QB to that type of contract was absolutely a bad move. Would they currently be around .500 with Keenum, Bridgewater, or Lamar Jackson? Probably 

I agree that it was a bad move in hindsight. Cousins hasn't elevated his game in anyway. I think they've got to start looking for his replacement in the 2020 draft. No way Cousins deserves a second contract from the Vikes.

5 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

He is good enough to win a Super Bowl

No, he's not.  That's kind of the point.  Coming into the game tonight, the Seahawks secondary has gotten progressively worse every game.  In four of the past five games, the Seahawks have had at least 24 points scored on them and the really good QB's they've played this season have played well against them (Goff, Rodgers, Rivers, etc).  The CB's have regressed as the season has gone on.

In comes Minnesota who has one of the best WR duos in the entire game and they can't do anything.  I for sure thought that they would be able to eat because Seattle doesn't have a CB on their roster who can consistently cover Diggs or Thielen. 

Archived