This team needs a 2nd round WR/TE/RB or equivalent FA

skibrett15

16 hours ago, SSG said:

I agree.  This offense has went through long stretches of embarrassing play in large part because of the lack of talent at WR.  It is BY FAR the worst group Rodgers has ever had to deal with.  While we are paying Cobb and Graham a lot of money, both looked incredible old this year.  Neither consistently got any sort of separation this year which require perfection from AR12 when targeting.  

The idea that Aaron Rodgers should be able to make any warm body into an all pro because he makes a lot of money is laughable.  While the rookies looked Ok at times, they've been almost useless for the majority of the season.  Going into next year needing one of those sophomores to develop into a star overnight is a receipt for disaster.  

Let us start by looking at the talent. It's probably more than 50/50 that Cobb is gone, so a negative there. Adams is a stud, a big plus. MVS is pretty green but catches well, has great height and runs like the wind. ESB is a slightly lesser version of MVS (at present). Kumerow and Allison are reliable guys who can both fill a role at the NFL level and who knows if Moore can develop next year ? Working on the @Outpost31 idea of taking care not to waste draft picks, you wait to see what MVS and ESB bring in their second year before committing to a high (2nd round) draft pick. I don't think going into 2019 with these players is a disaster. I DO think that after the 2019 season we will have a much better idea of the capabilities of the three rookies, and a better sense of whether a high pick needs to be spent at WR for a no.2 receiver.

Looking at the draft, any round 2 draft pick very probably will not contribute much in his rookie year (Jordy and Davante took until their third years to break out), so the 2019 season is unlikely to look much better with a high-end WR. Now if instead you are talking acquiring a solid veteran receiver, I wouldn't disagree, provided we no longer have Cobb. His replacement could be someone like (for example) the Jets Jermaine Kearse (age 28, cost maybe $6-7m) who can play plenty of dig, curl and slant routes and would probably be happiest in the slot. (see https://www.ganggreennation.com/2018/7/19/17590836/how-complete-of-a-receiver-is-jermaine-kearse-breaking-down-kearses-numbers-by-route-type-ny-jets)

Although it never happens as I predict, most years I have my 'shopping list' of positions that need addressing. This year, in common with several other posters, I have Edge, S, OT as three of the high picks, followed by TE, G, RB.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

I definitely agree and have posted stuff like the OP. A few arguments why we should;

1. We are starting 5th+ rounders at  wr. That has had a negative impact on the O

2. Our defense isn’t terrible anymore. By most accounts we are middle of the pack on D. Our O is now middle of the pack. To make the playoffs we need to be great at something. It is easier in 2019 and AR to have a great O than D

3. Look at our team when it was great... Jennings, Cobb, Jordy were all seconds. Adams is. LA this year is loaded. KC keeps adding weapons. NE has several big time weapons (Gordon, Gronk, first round rb). If we want wrs to consistently win matchups we need guys who can.

With that said, I want a pass rusher with pick 1

19 hours ago, squire12 said:

TE TA options

Maxx Williams

Tyler Kroft

Demetrius Harris

CJ Uzomah

Jesse James

Nick Boyle

I did some reading up on Jared Pinkney TE from Vanderbilt, just like ESB and Martinez screamed Packers type, Pinkney does as well for me.  Drafting him and signing a WR like, Chris Hogan would help.  Pinkney can develop for a year or so and Hogan would give them a veteran in that WR group.

Edited by jleisher
add

It's not about the stars it's about the depth. When this offense was good they had Nelson, Cobb, Jones, Finley, Driver ect. No one guy had to be amazing (although some could be at times) because any one of them could beat solo coverage a reasonable amount of the time. Someone was going to beat their man every play, just a matter of who.

Fast forward to 2018. We have Adams. That's it. Cobb hasn't been able to stay healthy in a while now, I have some hope for the rookies but they aren't there. Allison and Kumerow would be fine as depth options but are limited. Think about that. Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Jones. 3 2s and a 3. I definitely think we need more horses catching passes.

Edit to clarify, I would not be happy spending either first there, but 2-4 makes a lot of sense to me.

Edited by spilltray
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, going after a FA TE seems like a fruitless endeavor.  We've discussed it ad nauseam, but the FA class is highlighted by Tyler Eifert and Jared Cook.  So you're looking to the draft.  Are you going to use a 2nd round pick on a guy whose really going to have limited help in 2019?  If I'm looking at an EDGE/CB/S or a TE in the 2nd round and value is there, I'm taking someone from the former group.  I'd rather take a flier on an athletic type with good hands later in the draft.

Agreed.  I'd prefer we keep Graham and draft his eventual replacement this spring.

19 hours ago, SSG said:

I agree.  This offense has went through long stretches of embarrassing play in large part because of the lack of talent at WR.  It is BY FAR the worst group Rodgers has ever had to deal with.  While we are paying Cobb and Graham a lot of money, both looked incredible old this year.  Neither consistently got any sort of separation this year which require perfection from AR12 when targeting.  

The idea that Aaron Rodgers should be able to make any warm body into an all pro because he makes a lot of money is laughable.  While the rookies looked Ok at times, they've been almost useless for the majority of the season.  Going into next year needing one of those sophomores to develop into a star overnight is a receipt for disaster.  

Cobb's problem this year is he wasn't available for long stretches.  He looked fine against the Falcons.  I think one or 2 of our rookie WRs from this year will look much better in 2019.  But a 2nd or 3rd round WR wouldn't hurt IF he is the BPA when we are picking.  

18 hours ago, Leader said:

Bull****.

Not you vegas or your comment - but this persistent notion that our GOAT-like QB has a learning curve. Trust issues. I'm sick of hearing it. Throw the talent the
damn ball. They're the damn WRs. Let them do the receiving and use their talents for YAC.

Throw the damn ball!

Rodgers isn't going to throw them the damn ball if the aren't where they are supposed to be.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Kumerow earned praise from Rodgers.  That is good enough by me to get somewhat excited about what he could do.  It is telling, though, that he's healthy and GB isn't rushing him onto the field.

Look, I'm all about the development of the kids.  I think they have all the skills needed to succeed.  

Kumerow appeared to be running good routes in the PS so AR is gonna like that.  I hope we see a lot more of him these next 3 games.

18 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I disagree.  MVS has done enough that he's one of our starting WRs next year.  Even Geronimo Allison has done enough that I feel comfortable going into 2019 with Adams/MVS/Allison.  Do I love the idea of going into 2019 with those guys?  No, but they're good enough to get the job done IMO.

Golden Tate: 132 targets, 84 receptions, 941 receiving yards, 5 TD
MVS: 65 targets, 36 receptions, 555 receiving yards, 2 TD
Allison: 96 targets, 65 receptions, 970 receiving yards, 6 TD

That's everyone's numbers over a 16 game period.  Allison is producing better than Tate, and he's getting paid a fraction of what Tate would.  MVS is getting paid less and putting up smaller numbers.

I think MVS is a really intriguing prospect.  He has what you can't teach = speed.  He had the second best 40 time (4.37) in the 2018 draft.  Once he "gets it" he might be a real gem.