This team needs a 2nd round WR/TE/RB or equivalent FA

skibrett15

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

When Cobb, Jordy and Adams were rookies and as green as our young guys.  How many around here were bemoaning Adams' play earlier in his career and now look at him.

2nd round receivers...

Reality is that most 4th-6th round receivers don't make it as starters -- even ones who are forced into playing a lot as rookies.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

..I wouldn't use a 2019 draft choice on a WR until more is known about how the youngsters will turn out. And because it takes a year or two for rookies to blossom. ....

I get this logic, and waffle on it.  And CWood often notes that TE's and receivers aren't often good as rookies anyway.  So yeah, one side of me says yes, got to give them all a couple of years to figure out if they're going to end up being good.  

The other side, though, says that *if* the premise is that it takes two year, then *if* we realize that MVS and ESB and Moore aren't going to end up becoming good #2's, or even asset #3 type guys....  then it means we're waiting for 2020 to try again.  Which using CWood's premise would mean that if MVS/ESB/Moore don't click this year, then we're waiting till 2021 at the soonest to have draft help at receiver.  So part of me says I'm not sure I want to risk going Adams + mediocre for the next three years, like we've experienced this year and last.   

So part of me thinks it could be really good to invest a 2nd round pick on a worthy receiver.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, craig said:

I get this logic, and waffle on it.  And CWood often notes that TE's and receivers aren't often good as rookies anyway.  So yeah, one side of me says yes, got to give them all a couple of years to figure out if they're going to end up being good.  

The other side, though, says that *if* the premise is that it takes two year, then *if* we realize that MVS and ESB and Moore aren't going to end up becoming good #2's, or even asset #3 type guys....  then it means we're waiting for 2020 to try again.  Which using CWood's premise would mean that if MVS/ESB/Moore don't click this year, then we're waiting till 2021 at the soonest to have draft help at receiver.  So part of me says I'm not sure I want to risk going Adams + mediocre for the next three years, like we've experienced this year and last.   

So part of me thinks it could be really good to invest a 2nd round pick on a worthy receiver.  

This offense was built on EXACTLY that.  Using high end draft capital on the WR position.  At one point we spent 6 top 100 picks on WRs over a 10 year span (06, 07, 08, 11, 14 & 15).  Thompson always made sure to have premier WR talent surrounding the QB.   Missing on Montgomery and ignoring that philosophy (drafting a WR high every 2 or 3 years) as of recently has hurt the position group that was once this team's strength. 

Instead of a spending 1 pick on a high end prospect we're spending 2 or 3 picks on low end, bottom of the draft guys (5 in the last 2 years).  Hopefully it works out and we're not taking #12 for granted in the same way Favre was taken for granted in the early 2000s when he was forced to turn Bill Schroeder into a #1 WR.

Edited by SSG

2 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

2nd round receivers...

Reality is that most 4th-6th round receivers don't make it as starters -- even ones who are forced into playing a lot as rookies.

Add Jennings and even Jones to that group.  All were top 75ish draft choices.  

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

I found it interesting when Palmy said something to the effect that a lot of guys are having to answer how MVS slipped through the cracks.

Cut throat business. 

yeah I recall that as well.  Wonder how that assessment holds up. Guy has skills but the rapport isn't quite there yet with Rodgers like it was with Adams early in his career.

Thoughts on Paris Campbell in the second round? Can he run routes well enough and are his hands good enough to be a legit “slot” type guy? He seems very explosive and a legit playmaker who can line up everywhere. He would also help in the return game. 

I had some interest in a guy like Emmanuel Sanders based purely off internet speculation that he might be released but him tearing his Achilles kind of put a damper on that. 

I wish I was as content with our receiver group going into next year as some people here are but something is missing. MVS looks like a promising deep threat but has hit a wall, Allison looked solid early on but after being out all year and being an RFA he isn’t a sure thing, ESB has shown some flashes but also some struggle, I’m not ready to completely jump on his train after only 15 receptions. While I hope our rookies make a jump in year two, I still think we need one more playmaker in that receiving corps.

Edited by Victor1124

5 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

2nd round receivers...

Donald Driver...yep 7th rounder all time leading receiver for the Packers.  Don't totally buy into this argument.  Mark Churmura was a 6th rounder.   I get what you guys are saying but think we are OK at WR for next year.  I would however favor getting young at TE but not before the 3rd round.  OLB, DT, and S with the first 3 picks.  As for the 3 young rookies MVS has been the most impressive.  Not to enamored with EQ's play but he'll improve.  Moore might still be a really good receiver.  Sometimes it takes guys longer to develop.  Even if we burned a high round pick on a WR he's going to need a year to get up to speed anyway.  I'd roll with what we have and focus on other needs.

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

I found it interesting when Palmy said something to the effect that a lot of guys are having to answer how MVS slipped through the cracks.

Cut throat business. 

Didn't he have problems catching the ball? They felt he was too unrefined from USF. 

We can get 3 impact pass rushers for less than what the Bears gave Mack. We should be able to get Sheldon Richardson, Graham and Barrett for under 24 million and still have around 20 million to fill smaller holes and maybe still make a run after Thomas or Collins who may be cheaper coming off Injuries.

That way we can draft Edge, RT, S, TE in that order. Gives us great flexibility on draft day.

Just imagine what the pass rush could look like with.

Barrett 

Graham 

Draft pick 

Fackrell

Daniel's

Richardson 

Clark.

That's a pretty solid pass rush. And you can still bring back Clay and plug him next to Martinez.

That's a top 10 defense on paper and I could see Gute doing something like this. 2019 is shaping up to be one of the most exciting offseasons to date.

Edited by St Vince