OROY

pnies20

16 minutes ago, bigjohnson2009 said:

I think the thought process is Baker broke a record set by 2 likely HOF QBs. Rarely are rookie QBs as successful as Baker was. Barkley had a season you could argue is comparable to what Alvin Kamara or Kareem Hunt or Ezekiel Elliott have done the last couple years. He had an excellent year, but he touched the ball 350 times. His most impressive statistics are based on volume.

You are basing your arguement for Baker on one volume stat. One that is getting more and more inflated. Also you have to take Rushing TDs out for that stat to work. Baker didn't really have more touchdowns than Wilson. Cam had 35 TDs his rookie year. It's not like Baker had close to the best rookie QB season in recent memory despite that one stat.

Kamara was awesome last year and a very deserving ROY so I don't see why that comparison hurts Barkley. 

5 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

You are basing your arguement for Baker on one volume stat. One that is getting more and more inflated. Also you have to take Rushing TDs out for that stat to work. Baker didn't really have more touchdowns than Wilson. Cam had 35 TDs his rookie year. It's not like Baker had close to the best rookie QB season in recent memory despite that one stat.

Kamara was awesome last year and a very deserving ROY so I don't see why that comparison hurts Barkley. 

uh what

3 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

You are basing your arguement for Baker on one volume stat. One that is getting more and more inflated. Also you have to take Rushing TDs out for that stat to work. Baker didn't really have more touchdowns than Wilson. Cam had 35 TDs his rookie year. 

Kamara was awesome last year and a very deserving ROY so I don't see why that comparison hurts Barkeley. 

People were saying what Barkley did was unheard of for a rookie. Hunt led the league in rushing last year as a rookie and had like 1800 total yards and didn't win. Barkley was a huge big play RB. Those are important, especially if they lead to a score but if you take away his 2 biggest runs in a game and he averages 1 yard per carry on the rest to average 5 yards per carry he really only helped his team on the big runs. It may be enough, we'll see but his season is a lot like Gurley's rookie year where it was pretty much all or nothing. Gurley did win it btw, odds are a lot of voters just watch highlights so highlights are good.

2 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

You are basing your arguement for Baker on one volume stat. One that is getting more and more inflated. Also you have to take Rushing TDs out for that stat to work. Baker didn't really have more touchdowns than Wilson. Cam had 35 TDs his rookie year. 

Kamara was awesome last year and a very deserving ROY so I don't see why that comparison hurts Barkeley. 

Except Baker didn't attempt a million passes to break a volume record. Barkley handled the ball a million times to break a volume record.

Barkley will probably lose to Baker, which I don't necessarily agree with.

OROY is not MOST VALUABLE ROOKIE. The MOST VALUABLE ROOKIE would undoubtedly be Baker Mayfield by a mile. OROY seems like a statistical thing and Barkley has some insane stats. Mayfield does too, but Saquons are probably more eye-popping.

I think the award should be given to the most impactful rookie, which in that case, it would go to Mayfield.
Given that is a statistical award, I'd probably give it to Barkley if I am being objective.
Anyone saying that Barkley is better than Mayfield is a buffoon though. Mayfield is infinitely more valuable than Saquon, regardless of who gets this award.

6 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Wait.... wait.... wait... wait... wait...

Wait.

Browns fans really about to argue that Baker had a better rookie season than RG3, Cam and Wilson?

Lewl. Those guys were among the best QBs without the rookie qualifier. Baker is average at best this year.

lol

Just now, wackywabbit said:

I wish I could see your reaction when you look up the stats because you clearly don't remember 2012

I think Baker has had the most promising rookie season for a QB as a passer in some time. Russell's rookie season was comparable and I think Wilson ultimately ends up in the HOF. If you add in the rushing dynamic RGIII and Cam had potentially better rookie seasons, but I just think it's far less impressive, sustainable and valuable when it's mostly attributed to rushing.

18 minutes ago, bigjohnson2009 said:

Except Baker didn't attempt a million passes to break a volume record. Barkley handled the ball a million times to break a volume record.

Not sure if I agree with this. Mayfield had the ball on every single play he was on the field (unless there was an unusual amount of direct snap plays). ;)

Archived