Redskins Release Safety DJ Swearinger; Claimed by Cardinals

MKnight82

19 minutes ago, Elky said:

I don't think criticizing the coaching staff, especially considering he backed up his criticisms, is what got him cut; it was doing it in front of the media.

What Mason Foster did was far worse than what Swearinger did. Someone in the organization got their feelings hurt. 

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Given that this is the 2nd time Swearinger has been cut from a team in this fashion, I'd say that there might be more to this than an insecure coaching staff...

Maybe but there are players like this on every team and the redskins likely knew what they were getting when they signed him. 

It's not like the Skins resemble a classy organization. I think they're fair game to be criticized for their on field and off-field conduct. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

What Mason Foster did was far worse than what Swearinger did. Someone in the organization got their feelings hurt. 

You mean the same guy that pushed McCloughan out for getting credit for the team's success could possibly be so petty to cut a valuable player for nothing?  

1 hour ago, Asciimo said:

do waivers still go by last season or this season? i'd love to see the pats ahead of LA, KC, NO.

Its the current draft order, which means its Cardinals, Raiders, 49ers, Jets... 

Basically the WC teams will have first crack at him and then eventually so will the saints

2 minutes ago, N4L said:

Its the current draft order, which means its Cardinals, Raiders, 49ers, Jets... 

Basically the WC teams will have first crack at him and then eventually so will the saints

Swearinger is in his 6th NFL season, pretty sure he just becomes an immediate free agent.  I thought the rule was only players with 4 years or less are subject to waivers.  

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Swearinger is in his 6th NFL season, pretty sure he just becomes an immediate free agent.  I thought the rule was only players with 4 years or less are subject to waivers.  

There have been multiple posts in this thread about how after the trade deadline veterans are subject to waivers

45 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

Stupid, stupid, stupid move.  Swearinger has been one of the best safeties in football and they cut him because he voices his opinion.  This is almost as dumb as when the Packers fired Winston Moss

Big difference being that Winston Moss kinda sucked and wasn't being retained anyway. DJ is a pro bowl quality safety in his prime. Then again, safeties have clearly been devalued by the league..

Archived