Dolphins to move on from Ryan Tannehill

Elky

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

McMillain has also been straight up garbage.

Wow. I didn't really like him in the lead-up to the draft either, but I thought he was playing better. I thought he was stiff laterally and didn't offer anything in coverage. He looked the part in college, but I found his hype to be obnoxious, especially coming from Ohio & being surrounded by OSU honks. That being said, I had heard he was doing very well in Miami after they canned the Lawrence Timmons experiment.

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

Wow. I didn't really like him in the lead-up to the draft either, but I thought he was playing better. I thought he was stiff laterally and didn't offer anything in coverage. He looked the part in college, but I found his hype to be obnoxious, especially coming from Ohio & being surrounded by OSU honks. That being said, I had heard he was doing very well in Miami after they canned the Lawrence Timmons experiment.

Well Raekwon was hurt all of last season (got injured prior to preseason), which was why Timmons was starting in the first place. He has not looked good this season, as we've been torched by the run all year long.

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Well Raekwon was hurt all of last season (got injured prior to preseason), which was why Timmons was starting in the first place. He has not looked good this season, as we've been torched by the run all year long.

I really hope he’s able to overcome his injuries.  He’s always been one of my favorite rappers

4 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

And honestly, I still want to see Tannehill behind a semi-competant offensive line, but that may have to come elsewhere. He's had a bottom 3 blocking unit each year he's been in the league.

He's a different type of QB, but at the same time, he's similar to Alex Smith - put him behind an OL that isn't going to get him killed and with weapons that can let him make mostly short and intermediate throws with the occasional designed deep-shot off play-action and he can run your offense effectively.  He's not going to be anything consistently outstanding, but he can be a guy who, if everything lines up perfectly in a season, can put up a Top 7-10 QB campaign and otherwise still probably manages to stay in the upper-two-thirds of starting QB's in the league.

12 minutes ago, The LBC said:

He's a different type of QB, but at the same time, he's similar to Alex Smith - put him behind an OL that isn't going to get him killed and with weapons that can let him make mostly short and intermediate throws with the occasional designed deep-shot off play-action and he can run your offense effectively.  He's not going to be anything consistently outstanding, but he can be a guy who, if everything lines up perfectly in a season, can put up a Top 7-10 QB campaign and otherwise still probably manages to stay in the upper-two-thirds of starting QB's in the league.

I've always thought him to be very underrated. If he can get a good coach and a situation amenable to supporting him he could very well have an Alex Smith kind of career resurgance late.

13 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Fair assessment. His main weakness is taking too many sacks, even on long-developing pass rushes. He's had poor protection but I'd say between a quarter and a third of those sacks taken are squarely on him.

22 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

Fair assessment. His main weakness is taking too many sacks, even on long-developing pass rushes. He's had poor protection but I'd say between a quarter and a third of those sacks taken are squarely on him.

That's why I think he needs to be in a scheme that puts an emphasis on short and intermediate routes and doesn't ask him to go beyond his 2nd or 3rd read without getting the ball out.  He's actually a pretty solid fit for what's been traditional Gruden-ball.

5 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

And honestly, I still want to see Tannehill behind a semi-competant offensive line, but that may have to come elsewhere. He's had a bottom 3 blocking unit each year he's been in the league.

So has Russell Wilson. So has Watson. Yeah it's not ideal for quarterbacks, but that doesn't mean you can't be a playmaker. 

9 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

They need to literally nuke their roster. They have horribly overpriced players and guys that are just decent in about every starting position.

Besides Tannehill.. who?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/cap/2019/

Reshad Jones will have the biggest cap hit at $17m. Next three biggest would be Kenny Stills ($9.8m), Albert Wilson ($8.3m), and Kiko Alonso ($8.3m) who are all good starters.

Quinn, Parker, Branch, Amendola can/will all be cut for a grand total of $2m dead cap penalty.. not much at all.

8 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

This.

Charles Harris is a straight up bust.

McMillain has also been garbage.

McMillan had his best two games over the past two weeks, he was shedding blocks and attacking gaps without the mental lag we've seen throughout this season. Keep in mind he is essentially a rookie... no surprise he is going through a learning curve. He is on a cheap rookie contract for 2 more seasons, same as Harris (although he hasn't shown the same promise).

If Miami transitions to a 3-4, Harris would have the option of re-booting his pro career.

8 hours ago, The LBC said:

I'll be honest, the way this is worded (the report, not your post) reads like the organization is trying to leverage Tannehill (who, per other reports, has said he wants to stay) into taking a pay cut.  Could be Ross meddling and just wanting to be done with Tannehill because he hasn't turned out the way hoped, could be what I'm suggesting.  It's really too early to know at this point.  By last reporting I saw, you guys only have a shade over $18m in cap space in 2019, so I could definitely see where this is a move to leverage one of the higher earners into freeing up money.

Miami has $19.9m in cap space today; if (when) they cut the following players:

QB Tannehill, DE Quinn, WR Parker, DE Branch, WR Amendola, OG Larsen

they will be adding an additional $55.9 million in cap space (after penalties) for a total of $75.8 million.

They're in an okay spot.

8 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

He is better in run defense, and has been showing his potential over the past month or so. His ACL injury last year slowed his development, obviously. His coverage has been sub-par, but 15 games into his pro career he has room for growth.

Archived