Kyrie Irving Traded to Boston

CWood21

11 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

This is absolutely false.

EDIT: To expand on this, when someone learns to shoot, they have to essentially break the muscle memory they spent years developing. Few other things involve that.

I'm gonna look into it tomorrow. But now time to sleep.

14 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

If we listed categories I think shooting would be way closer to the easiest than the hardest. 

Maybe learning proper shooting form but you can't teach touch. That's something that's natural or not.

Just now, bkobow05 said:

Maybe learning proper shooting form but you can't teach touch. That's something that's natural or not.

Learning proper shooting form isn't difficult. It's re-learning it that's difficult. And you can alter your shot to get more touch, but generally that would come with proper form anyways.

Just now, utley4568 said:

Learning proper shooting form isn't difficult. It's re-learning it that's difficult. And you can alter your shot to get more touch, but generally that would come with proper form anyways.

Sure. There are a ton of variables that come with shooting. Touch, release point, general mechanics, hand size, pull up vs catch and shoot, etc that factor into it which makes it harder to do. I mean, sure anyone could become a league average catch and shoot type but that's not super valuable. It's the pull up shooting that separates the great shooters from the typical ones.

I have no real thoughts on the amendment to this trade I was out for a few days and sorta glazed over this story it seems. I thought Cleveland did well all things considered but Boston still wins depending on what happens in Cleveland after this. Too many what ifs right now but in general Cleveland will be a little worse and Boston will be a little better maybe but Cavs win the East one final time. 

2 hours ago, kyle21121 said:

I have no real thoughts on the amendment to this trade I was out for a few days and sorta glazed over this story it seems. I thought Cleveland did well all things considered but Boston still wins depending on what happens in Cleveland after this. Too many what ifs right now but in general Cleveland will be a little worse and Boston will be a little better maybe but Cavs win the East one final time. 

How is it one final time? We don't know the full impact of the trade yet because we have no idea what the Cavs will do with the nets pick. 

Also if Irving doesn't resign in 2years, Boston loses the trade. 

43 minutes ago, buno67 said:

How is it one final time? We don't know the full impact of the trade yet because we have no idea what the Cavs will do with the nets pick. 

Also if Irving doesn't resign in 2years, Boston loses the trade. 

Well yea this isn't the type of trade you can judge right away but my first reaction was Boston got the better end of it however Cleveland did extremely well under the circumstances and got a better return than I'd thought they'd get like I said. 

What Cleveland does with that draft pick if they keep it or use it in a deal is a big factor and yes the will Kyrie resign is an underrated not super talked about aspect of this deal that I think is being overlooked people are just assuming Kyrie would resign but I'm not so sure. 

Yes, one final time. Not even @Raves would think Spurs East or Golden State-esque is in play in the first year after. 

2 hours ago, kyle21121 said:

Well yea this isn't the type of trade you can judge right away but my first reaction was Boston got the better end of it however Cleveland did extremely well under the circumstances and got a better return than I'd thought they'd get like I said. 

What Cleveland does with that draft pick if they keep it or use it in a deal is a big factor and yes the will Kyrie resign is an underrated not super talked about aspect of this deal that I think is being overlooked people are just assuming Kyrie would resign but I'm not so sure. 

Yes, one final time. Not even @Raves would think Spurs East or Golden State-esque is in play in the first year after. 

No it takes 3-6 years for those teams to actually be put together.  The Cavs prior to LeBron returning looked like they might've been turning the corner with Irving and Wiggins being their two main stars and guys like Waiters and Tristan being good role players with a coach that was going to install an actual offense for them to play in.  Obviously they would've still been about 2 years away from really competing for anything at that point, but it was a start.

I think this trade was a win for both sides.  Boston got a legit superstar still in his prime to pair with Hayward and the Cavs got a stop-gap PG that has played at an All-Star level, a very good depth wing, a premium pick, and a big man that many thought was one of the top eurostash players.  Granted Zivic is more raw and will need more time to adjust than expected, but if the Cavs will end up having to rebuild with LeBron possibly leaving after next year and the Cavs more than likely just letting IT walk regardless of the Decision 3.0, the Cavs have pieces in place to rebuild faster than before, or to continue to try and compete.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Alright it's officially DRose's time now with this trade......Over/under 30% from down town this season?

dude i am so so so excited for LeBron's reactions to D Rose driving the lane w his head down and missing layups on a consistent basis 

I don't think that will be the issue. Rose will finish well enough around the rim and will have a solid pull up game, but how frustrated is LeBron going to be every time he passes to a wide open Rose at the three point line only to see him brick it or pass up the shot? He's going to be frustrated with Rose's lack of outside shooting, but if he could some how get his three point percentage around 32-33, that will be decent enough. But that's a HUGE leap from the 22% he shot last season.

So the Cavs will be starting Rose/JR/LJB/Love/TT with Crowder/Calderon/Shumpert/Frye as their main guys off the bench? Possibly Osman gets some solid minutes if he proves to be a solid three point shooter? It's not a bad team, but they will have to stagger LBJ's minutes with Love/Rose so the 2nd unit could have enough scoring. 

In reference to shooting etc. I have been a 'shooting coach' for over 20 years, so I'd say I have some experience in this category. Overall many of you have it right. Muscle memory is hard to change. The more "off the twitches are" the harder to change. The older a player is the harder to change. I strongly believe that some players have a natural innate shooting touch from inside, that can not be taught. Like said you either have it or you don't.

Proper mechanics plus a steady does of repetition  usual can improve anyone to a degree.

BUT having said all that, I haven't seen anyone mention that more consistent playing time, plus opportunity usually leads to more confidence and hence better results. Players like J Brown can not be truly judged until they have a few years of steady playing time under their belt. Especially with improved shot selection. 

At this point I haven't seen anything that would make me believe Jaylon Brown can't develop into a viable shooting threat on a regular basis. 

• Like 1