2019 NFL Draft Thread v.2

Totty

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

New more offensive oriented mock:

#4 DE Clelin Ferrell

#24 WLB Devin Bush

#27 TE Noah Fant

#35 OT Andre Dilliard (my favorite OT in the draft only slightly behind Jonah)

#66 WR Deebo Samuel (decent shot he falls to the early 3rd)

I like this. I'd prefer to take Fant in the 1st and see what receivers are there in the 2nd/3rd. We can look for a #1 in next year's loaded class. It would be a mistake to use a 1st on any receiver in this draft not named Metcalf IMO. For this team it's not a smart allocation of resources. Fant can be a top TE in the NFL. I can't say that for most of these receiver prospects.

Here's my pre-combine 2-round mock:

Trade #4 to JAX for #7 + #38. Jacksonville's roster is solid aside from QB and WR. The need to replace Bortles far outweighs the need for a WR so they shouldn't mind giving up their 2nd rounder in order to get their choice of QB.

#7 Devin White- I wouldn't be upset with Ferrell here- pass rush is our greatest need- but I want BPA and I think that's White. He can end our tradition of garbage MLBs and anchor our defense for the next decade. He's a sure thing, don't overthink it. 

#24 Byron Murphy- Arguably the top prospect at a position that is a weakness for us year after year. Pair him with Conley and our CB position goes from weakness to strength.

#27 Noah Fant- I think most people want a WR here, but a TE is still a pass catcher. AJ Brown will likely be gone and Metcalf seems too boom-or-bust for me. Fant is an explosive athlete who has the production to back up his athleticism. He can line up anywhere and become a dynamic weapon for Carr.

#35 Charles Omenihu- Lacks the impressive stats of some of the other prospects, but he's explosive, has good size, and a strong motor. He'll rise after the combine.

#38 N'Keal Harry- There are concerns about his speed, but it's overrated when you run good routes and beat press coverage. He has great hands, makes tough catches, and can run after the catch. He can become the redzone threat Carr has missed since we told Crabs to kick rocks. 

I would love to get a pass rusher earlier but I'm sick of us reaching for need over BPA. Ferrell was productive at Clemson but lacks the athleticism typical of a top-7 pick, and Gary seems like a classic "potential" pick. Even without a pass rusher in the 1st, White and Murphy make our defense significantly stronger day one. They're BPA who also fill glaring needs.

19 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Reggie was a sucker, hopefully, Mayock and company can work some favorable deals for us on draft day and add more assets. We need to draft very well over the next two years or we're going to suck for a while.

Reggie good at cap management 

sucked at: drafting, trade value, hiring coaches

2 hours ago, ZoomWaffle said:

Trade #4 to JAX for #7 + #38. Jacksonville's roster is solid aside from QB and WR. The need to replace Bortles far outweighs the need for a WR so they shouldn't mind giving up their 2nd rounder in order to get their choice of QB.

#7 Devin White- I wouldn't be upset with Ferrell here- pass rush is our greatest need- but I want BPA and I think that's White. He can end our tradition of garbage MLBs and anchor our defense for the next decade. He's a sure thing, don't overthink it. 

#24 Byron Murphy- Arguably the top prospect at a position that is a weakness for us year after year. Pair him with Conley and our CB position goes from weakness to strength.

#27 Noah Fant- I think most people want a WR here, but a TE is still a pass catcher. AJ Brown will likely be gone and Metcalf seems too boom-or-bust for me. Fant is an explosive athlete who has the production to back up his athleticism. He can line up anywhere and become a dynamic weapon for Carr.

#35 Charles Omenihu- Lacks the impressive stats of some of the other prospects, but he's explosive, has good size, and a strong motor. He'll rise after the combine.

#38 N'Keal Harry- There are concerns about his speed, but it's overrated when you run good routes and beat press coverage. He has great hands, makes tough catches, and can run after the catch. He can become the redzone threat Carr has missed since we told Crabs to kick rocks. 

I would love to get a pass rusher earlier but I'm sick of us reaching for need over BPA. Ferrell was productive at Clemson but lacks the athleticism typical of a top-7 pick, and Gary seems like a classic "potential" pick. Even without a pass rusher in the 1st, White and Murphy make our defense significantly stronger day one. They're BPA who also fill glaring needs.

I like this draft as long as we have addressed Edge Rusher, Running Back and Safety in FA. 

I am not big on Omenihu. Sounds like a Reggie pick to me.

3 hours ago, ZoomWaffle said:

good draft.. I'm starting to cool on Harry... he is more 6'2 than 6'4 he isn't a twitch athlete..will he have time separating in the NFL? kinda sounds like Juron Criner.... CB are a weakness but our pass rush always sucks... remember all those years we wanted a second pass rusher for Mack... we never won at the LOS on defense...the one year we won the LOS on OFFENSE we were 12-4 a few years... this mock ignores the trenches

1 minute ago, Humble_Beast said:

good draft.. I'm starting to cool on Harry... he is more 6'2 than 6'4 he isn't a twitch athlete..will he have time separating in the NFL? kinda sounds like Juron Criner.... CB are a weakness but our pass rush always sucks... remember all those years we wanted a second pass rusher for Mack... we never won at the LOS on defense...the one year we won the LOS on OFFENSE we were 12-4 a few years... this mock ignores the trenches

Fair points. I honestly want pass rushers but at each spot it seemed like there was better value/better prospects at different positions. Who would you take instead? I like Ferrell but more in the low-teens than top-10. I can't argue with his production but does he have the burst/speed to consistently get to the QB without a great D-line around him? 7 is too early for Gary (underachiever, inconsistent), 24 is too late for Sweat, Polite, and likely Ferguson, and 35/38 is too early for Burns (can he add enough weight?). To me, it seems like the only way to get a pass rusher is to take one at #4 (7 if we're talking this trade-down scenario). If we do that, unless one of the big-3 fall, I think we're reaching for need over BPA.

As for Harry, I don't think he'll be a Criner-type WR. Criner was slow, but he was also raw and inconsistent coming out of AZ. Harry's got some good quickness, but no second gear. Ultimately, there are a ton of WRs to like in the late 1st/early 2nd. I like Harry's strength, contested catch ability, route running, and hands a lot. There have been plenty of bigger WRs who were thought to lack explosiveness before going on to become very good starting WRs in the NFL.

45 minutes ago, OG_C2X said:

I like this draft as long as we have addressed Edge Rusher, Running Back and Safety in FA. 

I am not big on Omenihu. Sounds like a Reggie pick to me.

Yeah, edge rusher will be key in FA. I think there's a lot to like about Omenihu. He's not a big name but he played well this year and has all the physical traits you want at DE. His technique is pretty good, too.

6 hours ago, ZoomWaffle said:

Fair points. I honestly want pass rushers but at each spot it seemed like there was better value/better prospects at different positions. Who would you take instead? I like Ferrell but more in the low-teens than top-10. I can't argue with his production but does he have the burst/speed to consistently get to the QB without a great D-line around him? 7 is too early for Gary (underachiever, inconsistent), 24 is too late for Sweat, Polite, and likely Ferguson, and 35/38 is too early for Burns (can he add enough weight?). To me, it seems like the only way to get a pass rusher is to take one at #4 (7 if we're talking this trade-down scenario). If we do that, unless one of the big-3 fall, I think we're reaching for need over BPA.

As for Harry, I don't think he'll be a Criner-type WR. Criner was slow, but he was also raw and inconsistent coming out of AZ. Harry's got some good quickness, but no second gear. Ultimately, there are a ton of WRs to like in the late 1st/early 2nd. I like Harry's strength, contested catch ability, route running, and hands a lot. There have been plenty of bigger WRs who were thought to lack explosiveness before going on to become very good starting WRs in the NFL.

Everyone is sleeping on Ed Oliver.  If he is there at 7 in this scenario he should be the pick without question.  

I would continue to sleep on through Ed Oliver.  I think it would be ideal if we could trade down if bosa and q are gone, but that requires a trade partner that may or may not be there.  My preference would be to trade or draft white or Jonah at 4 if we can’t get one of the top defensive linemen.  I don’t like the idea of Ferrell or Gary at 4 at all.  I do think we would have much more of an opportunity to trade one of our lower first round picks, but we would not receive as much compensation, and having a player with a 5th year option is an advantage in future contract negotiations.

2 more weeks gentlemen and the Underwear Olympics will be over and we will have a much better idea of player rankings.  I think there are going to be some players that will slip to our later picks that are going to surprise and some that will move into the top five.  Might even have a player slide into the top 3 given us 4 blue-chip prospects this year.

On 16/02/2019 at 7:56 PM, BayRaider said:

Agreed. I trust Mississippi State with their Front Seven, they are almost a sure thing in the NFL. He's definitely not playing DE in the NFL though, his natural fit is a 3-4 OLB although he should be able to play 4-3 SLB no problem is he puts on 5-10lbs. I really do like Sweat and would have no issues drafting him with a trade down. He has a much higher ceiling than Ferrell, although a riskier floor than Ferrell.

I assume you're referring to Montez Sweat with this comment..........what makes you say this?

He seems like a prototypical Paul Guenther type DE to me with great length, plays with good technique with pass rush moves and counter moves and though he's a little under weight right now he sets the edge fine and plays with pretty good technique and leverage for his height. I would say he's probably more suited to playing 4-3 DE with his hand in the dirt as opposed to 3-4 OLB where he'll have to turn and cover at times and play in space. 

Archived