LaFleur's Lieutenants - Coordinator/Staff Thread

incognito_man

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

I think its safe to say w/o being deemed too critical that MLF is lacking league-wide connections at this point.
Or - it seems that way at least.

Kitchens should not have the same level of connections as LaFleur imo. The only thing Kitchens have in common with Monken and Wilks is that they all rose up through the college ranks. I haven't looked deeply to see if any of them ever worked with each other.

I think the Browns have opened their purse strings in order to attract those guys. You can't build a staff like that without throwing money around.

LaFleur is connected to some of the biggest names in the business. Matt Shanahan, Gary Kubaik, Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan, Wade Phillips, Dean Pees etc. I'm sure Murphy, Gute and Pettine has connections of their own. We should be ok.

Btw I think letting Campen go was a mistake. He ran mostly a zone blocking scheme in his time here and LaFleur himself said he wanted his offence to run a zone blocking scheme. Seemed like a good match to me.

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

right, so he's lacking other connections across the league. That's the point. He's limited to his tree, can't pull from multiple trees unless he steps outside his familiarity.

You're right for sure, but besides Arians I'm not sure any of them have connections. Kitchens got Campen because we let him, Monken doesn't have any connections to him I'm aware of. 

I just don't think Campen gets let go without a plan, same as Whitt with Pettine. There are guys in mind to replace them.

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I just don't think Campen gets let go without a plan, same as Whitt with Pettine. There are guys in mind to replace them.

The Bengals are almost certainly revamping their staff too and that possibly frees up Frank Pollack who was on the same staff as LaFleur at Houston. Pollack was responsible for the Dallas OL we see today. Granted most of them were 1st round picks but he still had to coach them to work well together. I don't think he's as good as Campen but he would still be a solid hire.

If our OL coach ends up being Philbin I will be very underwhelmed.

9 minutes ago, Chili said:

Kitchens should not have the same level of connections as LaFleur imo. The only thing Kitchens have in common with Monken and Wilks is that they all rose up through the college ranks. I haven't looked deeply to see if any of them ever worked with each other.

I think the Browns have opened their purse strings in order to attract those guys. You can't build a staff like that without throwing money around.

LaFleur is connected to some of the biggest names in the business. Matt Shanahan, Gary Kubaik, Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan, Wade Phillips, Dean Pees etc. I'm sure Murphy, Gute and Pettine has connections of their own. We should be ok.

Btw I think letting Campen go was a mistake. He ran mostly a zone blocking scheme in his time here and LaFleur himself said he wanted his offence to run a zone blocking scheme. Seemed like a good match to me.

I don't think it's at all out of the question that the opportunity to coach up Mayfield is simply viewed as a more attractive option by Monken than the opportunity to coach up Rodgers.

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Agreed. And part of that plan is to let Gute and LaFleur build their own coaching staff.

I think the Packer brass, true to form, is holding their cards close to the vest. 

17 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

For the OC spot, I have to assume the fact that it does not include play calling duties makes it a tough sell for the more established OC candidates.

Yes.  Objectively, I think Monken is much better off to be OC with play-calling for a rising organization with lots and lots of high-round draft picks on offense, and where he's not only the play-caller but he's really running all things offense, under a defense-oriented coach.  He'll have lots of talent there.  If they do well, he'll get full credit for running it.  If he does well with young QA, he'll be a great head coach candidate.  

Had he come to Packers, even if they do well, most of the credit would go to MLF and to Rodgers, not to Monken.

17 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

For the OC spot, I have to assume the fact that it does not include play calling duties makes it a tough sell for the more established OC candidates.

This is why I'm rooting more for an 'established' (i.e. retread) OC at this point which some command presence (Caldwell, Philbin, Kubiak). My suspicion is that LaFleur is a great X's and O's guy, but could probably benefit from a right-hand man who has "been there, done that". A guy looking to mentor and perhaps "ok" with not putting his "football" stamp on a team, but happy to provide mentorship.

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

Reading Silverstein's latest comments regarding Murphy is cracking me up.  Anyone who thought McGinn used to unfairly rag on TT is going to love how Silverstein seems to have a serious axe to grind with Murphy.

Packer beat writers are a buncha beta's ha

so self-important.

22 minutes ago, craig said:

Yes.  Objectively, I think Monken is much better off to be OC with play-calling for a rising organization with lots and lots of high-round draft picks on offense, and where he's not only the play-caller but he's really running all things offense, under a defense-oriented coach.  He'll have lots of talent there.  If they do well, he'll get full credit for running it.  If he does well with young QA, he'll be a great head coach candidate.  

Had he come to Packers, even if they do well, most of the credit would go to MLF and to Rodgers, not to Monken.

Is Kitchens not calling the plays anymore?  Isn't that part of what the attraction was to hiring him was the resurgence of the offense under his playcalling?

Archived