LaFleur's Lieutenants - Coordinator/Staff Thread

incognito_man

1 minute ago, Green19 said:

Too be fair.... Mark did say none of the guys that interviewed for the HC job impressed.

Monken was one of those guys. So if I heard that I’d send a nice press quote back haha.

That isn't what he said .. he basically said that all the candidates were good, but none stood out above the rest.  He didn't say they were unimpressive.

1 hour ago, deathstar said:

What about Spriggs, Murphy, Taylor... I mean Campen was a great coach for us but it’s been awhile since we’ve had a player emerge like Bakh or Lang.

A second round pick who's been decent in uneven reps and shown significant improvement.

A late round pick who feel apart due to injuries.

An UDFA who emerged as an average starter?

With what degree of frequency are you expecting a coach to turn a 4th round pick into a top5 guy at the position? 

This is where I'm reminded of an AG quote about Lane Taylor as "hot garbage" when he was young!  Made me laugh out loud then.  And...it was true.

He's an example of great coaching to get the best out of player who is willing to take to coaching.

I agree it's unrealistic for him to continually turn 4th rounders into all-pros, but I also don't see any need to stick up for Spriggs as a mid 2nd round pick, he has not been good by any margin and certainly falling fall short of his draft expectations.   Although sometime you just draft bad players, in no way any sort of indictment on Campen.

5 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

That isn't what he said .. he basically said that all the candidates were good, but none stood out above the rest.  He didn't say they were unimpressive.

All I know is everyone was like wow, really? Based on that comment.

So Monken could be the same... LaFleur and GB were nice but Cleveland was just better.

DeFillipio has interviewed with the Jags, Kubaik is going to interview there soon too. I'm guessing Marrone does not call plays hence the interest from these coaches.

We're still in heavy competition with three teams who still have playcalling gigs open: Jags, Detriot and Titans. Miami has just filled theirs with Caldwell.

We may not be able to confirm our new coordinator until these gigs are filled so we may have to wait a little longer.

If we're really scraping the bottom of the barrel:

Wes Phillips (connection via McVay) 

Dan Campbell (potentially good compliment for LaFleur - needs a coordinator gig if he wants to be head coach one day) 

Shane Steichen (QB coach for Rivers- might be ready for a coordinator gig and now can be interviewed)

Tom Manning (TE coach but very interesting background as coordinator with Iowa State - now available to be interviewed) 

Rob Chudzinski (Available and most experienced)

Thinking outside the box we could get a rushing oriented coordinator to supplement the passing orientated LaFleur. Options include Gary Brown and James Saxon.

I don’t see the issue with Campen... was he good/great? Of course. Is he the only good/great online coach out there? No.

Right or wrong GB is looking for a complete reset.... should of done it last year, but it is what it is. They are removing all the old coaches to bring new energy and thoughts into the building. I get the vibe that when Pettine came in after all the years with Capers... it got people thinking because everyone was so impressed by Pettine.

I wish they did this more consistently... then maybe GB wouldn’t run schemes from the 1940s and they have a chance to be ahead of the curve.

Its unfortunate that it had to be a massive “purge” but it’s not like GBs oline  and secondary have been anything to call home about the last few years. Not saying thats completely on Campen and Whitt but adding new blood might render different results.

16 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Too be fair.... Mark did say none of the guys that interviewed for the HC job impressed.

Monken was one of those guys. So if I heard that I’d send a nice press quote back haha.

Actually that's not quite right. We need to be careful not to twist his words:

“Quite honestly, no one really stood out,” Murphy admitted. “There were a lot of strong candidates, but there wasn’t one that just jumped out at us.”

So they were strong candidates but didn't stand out. He never said they did not impress.

4 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I don’t see the issue with Campen... was he good/great? Of course. Is he the only good/great online coach out there? No.

Right or wrong GB is looking for a complete reset.... should of done it last year, but it is what it is. They are removing all the old coaches to bring new energy and thoughts into the building. I get the vibe that when Pettine came in after all the years with Capers... it got people thinking because everyone was so impressed by Pettine.

I wish they did this more consistently... then maybe GB wouldn’t run schemes from the 1940s and they have a chance to be ahead of the curve.

Its unfortunate that it had to be a massive “purge” but it’s not like GBs oline  and secondary have been anything to call home about the last few years. Not saying thats completely on Campen and Whitt but adding new blood might render different results.

Agreed.  We were unhappy with this team's performance lately so then getting new coaches can't be the worst thing in the world.   Perhaps these new voices will reinvigorate this team to play better.  Isn't that the goal?

Archived