LaFleur's Lieutenants - Coordinator/Staff Thread

incognito_man

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

This is where I'm reminded of an AG quote about Lane Taylor as "hot garbage" when he was young!  Made me laugh out loud then.  And...it was true.

He's an example of great coaching to get the best out of player who is willing to take to coaching.

Taylor's done everything he can to max out a somewhat limited talent set. Major credit to both he and Campen for making that work in a system that probably isn't ideal for him.

5 minutes ago, BrettFavre004 said:

Thinking it is more likely his OC target is still playing, still wouldn’t mind seeing some rumors though.  

Waldron, Campbell maybe, Mike Kafka, 

LaFleur was brought in as the offensive play caller. Now the OC is not a job that is worth it to some because of that. LaFleur will have to get used to training offensive coaches as he will not be getting a star play caller as OC.

5 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

Might be a few more years but Brian Ferentz should be getting some looks as an NFL OC soon. The Iowa offense is night and day to what it used to be and he calls an effective game. Worked under BB and the Patriots for 4 years from 2008-2011

Ew ew ew. No thanks.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

A second round pick who's been decent in uneven reps and shown significant improvement.

A late round pick who feel apart due to injuries.

An UDFA who emerged as an average starter?

With what degree of frequency are you expecting a coach to turn a 4th round pick into a top5 guy at the position? 

... I hope it came across that I have great respect for Campen. I think he’s done an amazing job for us. I do think our OL play has dropped off some in the last two years. 

1 hour ago, Norm said:

Taylor was undrafted and appeared to be an average starter for a while. Linsley wasn't a high pick. Murphy was a 7th and Jason at least started to look better lately. I don't think you can expect a ton more than that honestly.

I think we can expect more from Spriggs, for sure. But yes: Campen has done a great job for us. I believe our OL play has dropped off especially this past year.

20 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I think we can expect more from Spriggs, for sure. But yes: Campen has done a great job for us. I believe our OL play has dropped off especially this past year.

Look at our OL, we're not nearly as talented as we have been in recent years.  We rotated RGs, and Lane Taylor regressed a bit this year.

I've never been much of a Campen guy.

Always seemed to me that Bahk, Sitton, Linsley, and Bulaga came in balling from day one. Lang took off immediately after his personal life calmed down. Feels like a dozen players went on to have long careers after "failing" here. Really the only guy I can think of REALLY improving was Taylor.

I'm far from an online expert and am biased against the guy because I felt his hire and tenure was based mostly on him being buddies with the right people so take my opinion with a grain, or perhaps a dash, of salt.

1 minute ago, TheBitzMan said:

Monken was never offered the job in GB. Can't turn down a job you weren't offered. I am disappointed though, I really really like Monken. 

Seems like if Monken and Hackett weren't offered the gigs, they probably have eyes for someone else.

33 minutes ago, BrettFavre004 said:

Thinking it is more likely his OC target is still playing, still wouldn’t mind seeing some rumors though.  

Waldron, Campbell maybe, Mike Kafka, 

I like the above list.  I think that we may need to look a little deeper such as offensive quality control type guys.  If you look at many of the "young, up and coming offensive minded coaches" some are only 2 or 3 years removed from being QC guys.  I really like the intelligence of a guy like Josh McNown if he is ready to retire from playing as a possible QB coach.  A name from the college ranks that has run fast paced offenses is Matt Canada (offensive coordinator/ former interim head coach University of Maryland)

25 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I meant overall. There's no ol coach that gets every single thing out of every pick. I now that's extreme but you get my point I'm sure.

Archived