Tampa Bay set to hire Bruce Arians as HC

Broncofan

30 minutes ago, The Gnat said:
31 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

On another note, I'm a little surprised the Bucs didn't opt for a defensive-minded coach.

I'm assuming that's because they hope that he can do something with Winston. Right now he's the most important thing for the team.

Yea, one last ditch effort to see if he can become anything. 
The style should match, lets see if the personalities do too.

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

9-3 with the Colts. 

3 straight 10 win seasons with the Cardinals. 

8 wins with a team that played with Drew Stanton and Blaine Gabbert as quarterback, David Johnson out for the year, no offensive line to speak of. This year's team was in a better situation than last year's and they are drafting #1 overall. 

Seems like much more than 1 year to me. 

I don't get the hate a few people seem to have on him. Nobody is proclaiming him as a savior or the greatest coach ever, but he's been a quality coach. We have teams about to hire Mike McCarthy and Mike Munchak, but we don't like the hire of a guy who largely has had his teams exceeding their expected win totals? I'm not sure what else people want.

His offense has only finished [even] in the top half in the league 1 time since becoming HC. That's underwhelming for someone who is supposed to be an offensive minded genius.

And his issues started before that in PIT so it's not just the bad luck injuries either.

4 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

His offense has only finished [even] in the top half in the league 1 time since becoming HC. That's underwhelming for someone who is supposed to be an offensive minded genius.

And his issues started before that in PIT so it's not just the bad luck injuries either.

And yet, he's been successful. You think that the offensive genius label is overrated, I'm fine with that (though I never really thought of him in that manner, tbh), but he has largely done a very good job as a head coach. 

To use your own coach, Matt Nagy finished 20th in offensive dvoa this year, and he's an offensive minded head coach. I'm not letting that impact my opinion of him as a coach - I thought he did an amazing job this year and should be one of the final candidates for coach of the year.  I get that the hype he gets for his offenses may be unwarranted, but as a coach, for whatever reason, he's made it work

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

The only issue I have with this is his age and didn't he step down due to major health problems?

This would be my concern as well - more so the health than the age (he's younger than Carroll, after all), but the health thing worries me.

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

And yet, he's been successful. You think that the offensive genius label is overrated, I'm fine with that (though I never really thought of him in that manner, tbh), but he has largely done a very good job as a head coach. 

To use your own coach, Matt Nagy finished 20th in offensive dvoa this year, and he's an offensive minded head coach. I'm not letting that impact my opinion of him as a coach - I thought he did an amazing job this year and should be one of the final candidates for coach of the year.  I get that the hype he gets for his offenses may be unwarranted, but as a coach, for whatever reason, he's made it work

Oh believe me, Nagy does not get a pass from me either. I have been skeptical of the signing since and still question his play-calling at times and whether or not he is the "savior" that he was supposed to be (time will tell). 

I also question what the Bears record would be without Fangio's defense this year, in the same way I question what Arians' would be without his defenses.

Beyond that, I'm also never a fan of bringing in old coaches(Fox, Gruden, etc)who are living off a past and expecting them work magic either. They generally never work out well. Especially one who is going into unstable situation like TB is -- and not only on the offensive side of the ball either.

But we'll see I guess.

33 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I also question what the Bears record would be without Fangio's defense this year, in the same way I question what Arians' would be without his defenses.

He didn't have one DC thru that time tho. He had three iirc that got hired for other jobs because they were good (Horton, Bowled, and Betcher). And they just kept rolling along. And then as soon as he is not the coach anymore our D is absolutely terrible.

It seems some people believe that a HC's ability to put together quality staffs, to manage big personalities, to be able to pull a team out of adversity be it mid-season or coming off a bad season and get them back on the right track... those are all just easily found traits that should be assumed every hot, new name play-caller or QB coach has in spades, right?

Because those seem to be the qualities that a lot of the detractors of Arians appear to be discounting in this thread.  Barring one or two names from the available pool who , if we're being honest, Tampa (and most teams) didn't have a prayer of locking down, this is one of the two better hires they could have made.

4 minutes ago, The LBC said:

It seems some people believe that a HC's ability to put together quality staffs, to manage big personalities, to be able to pull a team out of adversity be it mid-season or coming off a bad season and get them back on the right track... those are all just easily found traits that should be assumed every hot, new name play-caller or QB coach has in spades, right?

Because those seem to be the qualities that a lot of the detractors of Arians appear to be discounting in this thread.  Barring one or two names from the available pool who , if we're being honest, Tampa (and most teams) didn't have a prayer of locking down, this is one of the two better hires they could have made.

I would have taken Arians in a minute before all of the other candidates in GB. Great hire

6 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

He didn't have one DC thru that time tho. He had three iirc that got hired for other jobs because they were good (Horton, Bowled, and Betcher). And they just kept rolling along. And then as soon as he is not the coach anymore our D is absolutely terrible.

To your point, he absolutely should get credit for the DC hires and promotions.  Yes, the defenses helped his teams' performances - football is a two-way game and, I know this may shock some people but I'll throw it out there anyway, the HC is responsible for BOTH of them, as the be-all/end-all.  So if the defense did well and kept his teams in double-digit wins then, guess what, the HC gets credit for it, too.  He assembled the staff, he had input on the players that were acquired and released.  He has former assistants who currently make up 1 recently-fired HC, 2 who went on to DC hires, and probably most notably relevant a guy who is in consideration for multiple head coaching positions right now.

7 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Amen. This is the same team that gave Mike Smith an extension years ago and made him one of the highest paid DCs. 

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

The only issue I have with this is his age and didn't he step down due to major health problems?

He probably be the coach for the next 3 years then retires. Then one of the coordinators takes over would be my guess. 

1 hour ago, JustAnotherFan said:

A coach who is still living off a reputation from a single year behind the whole "Cards lost everyone and still won". 

I would not be happy about this signing.

Real good chance its happening........
Jay Glazer reported they actually made him take a physical. You dont do that unless you're serious about hiring the guy.

Archived