packers selcet mAtt leFleUr as head coah

FinneasGage

39 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Again,

Could've been the head man in Cleveland if he was willing to work with Kitchens. 

But why take anything less than a perfect offer when you're still getting paid for doing nothing?

I believe he also refused interviews at a couple locations (pretty sure I heard he turned down at least Arizona).

5 minutes ago, SSG said:

I believe he also refused interviews at a couple locations (pretty sure I heard he turned down at least Arizona).

I was surprised at that. Didn't McCarthy supposedly threaten to leave for Arizona if Ball was hired as GM?

13 hours ago, PackGymRat said:

Created an account, yes I’m polarizing and controversial. 

Yes, calling someones wife chunky is polarizing and controversial.  

13 hours ago, PackGymRat said:

Lol

Prior to the smart phones, yes it was. And maybe it still is.

I thought memes and reddit made posting online acceptable. I was a nerd long before I took up Fitness. 

Working out does not remove the nerd in a person.

• Like 1

Also has nothing to do with LaFleur as a coach, person or otherwise... but early in his presser when talking about his family... all beautiful and kind of standard...

but him pounding his chest/heart is super bro-y haha. And very Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay. Seems like all three are bros from Washington.

Matt you’re 39... you don’t need to do that stuff haha.

Based on what I have seen of the offenses that LeFleur wants to run, we really need to make investments in the oline and TE positions to make this work. Maybe even RB since we have seen that Jones does have durability issues. Even if Williams looks better behind an improved oline, I think a third horse is needed there as well. I saw one of the mocks in here with Coleman in it, that is not a bad looking fit with the right contract.

At the WR positions, you just wonder if J-mon Moore is ever going to be able to digest the playbook. I think this offense may end up being easier for him to execute on the field because he is not reading as many things post snap as the previous system. If you can get that player to explode the way he did in college you have a very dangerous group of young WRs for this fit IMO.

Edited by PackFan4Life
  • Like 2

I enjoyed the press conference.  LaFleur seems confident, thoughtful, intelligent.  Very likeable guy, seems like a nice, good, sincere, positive guy.  

Whether he'll have solutions for deficient talent, dumb players, and bad-attitude guys, that's a harder question! 

The press conference seemed to spend more time on the hiring process than on football ideas.  Would have liked to hear more football-specific questions;  but that was more the reporters and Murphy, that's not LaFleur's fault I don't think, and it doesn't mean anything about whether he'll be good or bad with details and strategy and stuff.  

I understand some of the concerns.  He didn't come across as the most "wow" commanding speaker, nor as the dominant alpha guy.  So yeah, perhaps he'll be too nice, and players won't respond or respect, beats me?  But I think a straight-shooter who tells the truth; who gets to know and respects the people who work for him; who guys recognize as an honest straight-shooter when he tells them what he wants them to do to get better; and who's both people-smart and details-smart enough so that stuff he says makes sense and is helpful, rather than simplistic or wrong, that's awfully appealing to me.  Sincerity, honesty, and smarts tend to be good profile.    

Most reports and input suggests that he's a very smart, detailed guy.  We'll see, there are always good things said about any new hire, so that may not prove true in reality.  But *if* he's smart, I think he'll be fine.

Obviously having a smart, high-level coach can't produce success from bad players.  As was evident from his Titans season, you can hypothetically be a really bright and creative coach, but with bad players it's not going to go great.  I'm not sure if the Packers have enough talent to win a lot, particularly if the drafting continues to be mediocre or poor, and particularly if our injury-rate continues to be lousy.  Having a lot of good players who can execute plays makes it a lot easier to be an offensive play-calling genius.  But a lot of smart calls don't work when guys miss blocks, don't run good routes, or QB's make wild throws.  So I'm not sure how many wins even the smartest coach can get out of the Packers roster.  

But I'm looking forward to finding out!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PackFan4Life said:

Based on what I have seen of the offenses that LeFleur wants to run, we really need to make investments in the oline and TE positions to make this work. Maybe even RB since we have seen that Jones does have durability issues. Even if Williams looks better behind an improved oline, I think a third horse is needed there as well. I saw one of the mocks in here with Coleman in it, that is not a bad looking fit with the right contract.

Helpful thoughts, 4Life.  Yeah, the history of running a lot and using TE's a lot would suggest exactly what you say.  

Draft hasn't spent much on offense for the last ten years, and the defense still desperately needs more draft picks.  But I think with a new offensive-mind as coach, I wonder if they might not spend some draft capital on offense for a change?  

With the TE thing, I think this could be a huge opportunity for Tonyan?  The packers have been so D+D oriented, but haven't done that great in recent years in successfully developing UDFA's or 7th rounders.  Would be so super cool if Tonyan emerged as a very effective and trustworthy pass target.  We kinda really need some off-the-map guys like that to emerge as really useful guys.  

Edited by craig

15 minutes ago, craig said:

Helpful thoughts, 4Life.  Yeah, the history of running a lot and using TE's a lot would suggest exactly what you say.  

Draft hasn't spent much on offense for the last ten years, and it still desperately needs more draft picks.  But I think with a new offensive-mind as coach, I wonder if they might not spend some draft capital on offense for a change?  

With the TE thing, I think this could be a huge opportunity for Tonyan?  The packers have been so D+D oriented, but haven't done that great in recent years in successfully developing UDFA's or 7th rounders.  Would be so super cool if Tonyan emerged as a very effective and trustworthy pass target.  We kinda really need some off-the-map guys like that to emerge as really useful guys.  

I mentioned this in another thread, Tonyan has the most to gain this offseason and even moreso now in this offense. Going to be interesting how he looks in the next camp on the LOS.

I really do not know what they have in Baylis right now.

I loved the Lewis and Kendricks fit- when they could run. I think those two are simply not worth moving forward anymore IMO.

I do not think just releasing Graham is a good idea either- he has more value on this team then off it considering the contract in hand- but it sure is not in the base running plays unless you get something from him he hasn't shown his entire career. Maybe he applies himself diligently to stay relevant in the league now that he cannot run as well as he used to.

I think you start with Graham and Tonyan and given the depth of this year's draft at TE, you do as Ray mentioned and seriously think about doubling up this year at this position.

Edited by PackFan4Life
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, PackFan4Life said:

At the WR positions, you just wonder if J-mon Moore is ever going to be able to digest the playbook. I think this offense may end up being easier for him to execute on the field because he is not reading as many things post snap as the previous system. If you can get that player to explode the way he did in college you have a very dangerous group of young WRs for this fit IMO.

I’d look at Kyle Shanahan’s offense and when it’s working at its best. If you want to see what the top end of what the packers offense could be...

Titans offense is an outlier for LaFleur. They brought him in to be Kyle. The positive thing about that situation is LaFleur saw what he had there and called the game around that... TEs and RBs. So he wasn’t trying to force a system on his players. He had his players talents force a system on him.

Marcus had he best year rushing with LaFleur. They were the 7th best rushing offense even when teams lined up to stop it because the passing game was bad. Those are all positives.

Edited by Green19