packers selcet mAtt leFleUr as head coah

FinneasGage

1 minute ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Maybe we are the back up plan for him?

Lots of possibilities.
The Packers probably want a guy coaching STs who is both good AND will stick around.
Rizzi got interviews for the HC position during this hiring cycle, he's on an upward trajectory and there's a chance his ambitions got in the way of his candidacy in GB.

Hard to judge the nature of the EQ story. “Throwing a the ball at” Rodgers could mean anything between trying to drill him with it and the kind of disrespectful flip that you see guys get hit with Taunting flags for in games. In vs. out of pads also makes a pretty big difference to the context there. My read on it was that that the issue was with the disrespect of the action, not the violence of it. 

Thanks for this AG

8 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Hard to judge the nature of the EQ story

One comment is that Rodgers was bellyaching about WR coach Raih, so if Raih was the source of the issue on that specific play, I can see AR understanding how hard it is for a young WR under his tutelage

Rodgers ripped on Raih on several occasions and what some fans took as shots at the young WRs  - was probably a shot at the poor coaching they were getting.

"When he was asked about the increased number of missed throws this season, Rodgers said they were primarily due to “Just not being on the same page with the guys we’re throwing to. There’s missed throws, for sure, yeah, but some of the ones you probably think are missed throws are maybe just not on the same page.”

Rodgers later added the problem was, “Details. That’s really the issue. It’s a re-occurring issue.”

AR also highlighted the guys who were doing it right ( GMo, Cobb, Adams) and they were all coached by Luke Getsy

16 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

• Apparently EQ chucked a ball at Rodgers during practice and yelled at him because he was getting conflicting orders from Raih and Rodgers on how to run a route. Ended up pretty much getting knocked over by Byron Bell and eventually was asked to leave practice when they were separated. Said there was more drama between those groups that he had only heard rumors about because he wasn't in those meetings

Take with a large grain of salt

Like you said, I have to  take this one with a grain of salt. A 6th round rookie throws a ball at HOBQB1 and he gets more playing time as the season goes on?

Edited by Arthur Penske

23 minutes ago, deathstar said:

The Athletic just published an article about LaFleur having the final say on his assistants.

An excerpt here:

“It’s all been up to Matt,” Gutekunst told The Athletic Wisconsin this week. “You’d probably have to talk to him a little bit more about how he comes to a conclusion, but I’ll say this: It’s been impressive how thorough and just thoughtful that he’s been as he goes through all of this. He’s spent a lot of time with all the candidates, not only the ones we already had in-house but the guys that he’s brought in.

“The amount of time and thoroughness, not only individually but how he vetted them and how we’ve gone about that has been impressive. … I know he’s put a lot of work into it.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

hahaha

Also, who is Raih?  Some coach I've never heard of?

Coach David Raih, here is his career history

As coach:

• UCLA (2008–2009)
    Coaching intern
  • Iowa (2010–2012)
    Graduate assistant
  • Texas Tech (2013)
    Assistant quarterbacks & outside receivers coach
  • Green Bay Packers (2014–2015)
    Coaching administrator
  • Green Bay Packers (2016)
    Assistant offensive line coach
  • Green Bay Packers (2017)
    Offensive perimeter coach
  • Green Bay Packers (2018)
    Wide receivers coach
  • Arizona Cardinals (2019–present)
    Wide receivers coach

16 hours ago, deathstar said:

Just to be clear, the Rizzi asking for too much money angle has all been speculation and was actually disputed by at least one beat reporter.

I haven't seen that, or heard that until your post.

That being said, Rizzi reportedly had 8 teams wanting him... 8! ... and now that the Dolphins have dropped out, Rizzi is said to be down to 2. What would make 6 teams drops out of the race to get the hottest available ST coach? I don't know the answer, but a bidding war for his services is normally the answer to why teams drop out of the race to get the hottest available FAs... so I believe it could be the answer for coaches too, especially when that was what was rumored. Otherwise he's just wasting a lot of peoples time... 

Of course what are the Packers doing at ST right now? ... could they potentially be hoping whatever is holding Rizzi to back might change? Or looking else where?

4 hours ago, Beast said:

What would make 6 teams drops out of the race to get the hottest available ST coach? I don't know the answer, but a bidding war for his services is normally the answer to why teams drop out of the race to get the hottest available FAs... 

A new version of the Rizzi/Packers story has come out, still about money but, with the twist that the Packers made an offer and Rizzi thought it was low and pulled himself out of the running.

Below is a quote from the article

https://amp.packersnews.com/amp/2711911002?__twitter_impression=true

"The Packers tried to hire highly respected Miami Dolphins special teams coach Darren Rizzi, but even though they were able to get him to make a visit they didn’t blow him away with their offer, sending a signal they weren’t pulling out all the stops. Rizzi would have been working with a coach he didn’t know and moving his family to a cold-weather city.

Rizzi and LaFleur hit it off, the source said, but Rizzi left town without the offer he thought was forthcoming. Although the Packers met his number several days later, the source said, he decided to pull himself out of the running. He is expected to land with another NFL team."

Another snippet from the article at The Athletic:

MLF said:

“We want great communicators and teachers, and then they better be experts in the field.
And those are the three things that I’m going to try to get a feel for with each candidate"

Gute said:

“I think he really likes idea guys, guys who bring some ideas to the table. I’m excited."

10 hours ago, Beast said:

A new version of the Rizzi/Packers story has come out, still about money but, with the twist that the Packers made an offer and Rizzi thought it was low and pulled himself out of the running.

This comment is contradicted by this comment.....

10 hours ago, Beast said:

Although the Packers met his number several days later, the source said, he decided to pull himself out of the running.

The truth probably lies somewhere in between.