Vic Fangio hired by Broncos

WindyCity

24 minutes ago, G08 said:

Matt Bowen Retweeted James Fox

Loved playing for Gregg Williams. More than Xs/Os there...The key for the Bears, IMO, is hiring a defensive leader who allows Nagy to continue his focus on offensive game planning. And Gregg could fit that role.

The Bears have such a great culture going right now, I am not sure this lunatic fits.

He also almost sunk the Saints franchise when Pace was there.

29 minutes ago, G08 said:

I don't know what I want. I'm worried this is going to suck and our defense is going to take a step back.

Too much talent. You or I could coach them to a middle of the pack ranking.

Just get someone competent and let the talent do the work.

11 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Pace/Nagy would be crazy to want him here as a DC...Rex is a law unto himself...there is a clear reason why he hasn't been picked up before and it's not Xs & Os.

What exactly has Rex done that was so wrong that he cant get an interview? I'm lost seriously. No sarcasm maybe I forgot... was it the tattoo?

33 minutes ago, Hurricanes773 said:

What exactly has Rex done that was so wrong that he cant get an interview? I'm lost seriously. No sarcasm maybe I forgot... was it the tattoo?

The concern with Rex is more his personality type.... One of the greatest team strengths we had this year was we had a really strong locker room/team culture going.... and Rex in general can be an incredibly abrasive personality that loses his cool easily.  It's not a guarantee that the defense would respond well to him, after having a relatively stoic Fangio at the helm... or that he really fits in with what we're trying to do here under Nagy, where so much importance seems to be placed on the locker room/team culture.

Rex is one of the best football minds in the game for a defense, but his personality, bombasticity, and overall abrasiveness can cause problems... The concern with him isn't that he'd be able to lead the defense, it's that he might absolutely stomp on the locker room/team culture we've got going here, and make us worse off than before as a result. Also, I'd be at least a bit concerned as to whether he can swallow his pride enough to be second fiddle again and work under someone else.

I'd bring him in for an interview, and imo he's the best overall option from a pure 3-4 defense standpoint left (and I like that he'd be a significantly more aggressive version than Fangio).... but there's a very real concern that he'd cause locker room/ team culture issues that might bury the franchise longer term.  

Or to put it in Godfather terms.... Fangio was Micheal Corleone.... Rex Ryan would be closer to Sonny.

8 hours ago, G08 said:

Matt Bowen Retweeted James Fox

Loved playing for Gregg Williams. More than Xs/Os there...The key for the Bears, IMO, is hiring a defensive leader who allows Nagy to continue his focus on offensive game planning. And Gregg could fit that role.

No. The defense was historically good this year so why change it at all? Especially a major change such as switching to a 4-3. That would be a historically stupid decision to make. 

4 hours ago, Hurricanes773 said:

He has rubbed people up the wrong way at every stop...Rex is a guy you bring in when you need a culture shock and to bring about change...we don't need that at all...truthfully even if it's not Donatell if any of the current staff are able to step up and call plays then we should go that route as continuity is what we are crying out for...Rex would not offer that and would want to do things his way and only his way.

Looking at what Nagy seems to like in his coaches two things are for sure...number one they must be an excellent teacher...number two they need to have experience of both pro and college football...with the amount of college concepts we are seeing in offensive football that makes a ton of sense...

One inhouse candidate who has not been discussed is OLB coach Brandon Staley...read an article on him...play calling experience as a DC for 3 years in college all be it Div 3 level he took defences to being the 2nd & 4th best in points allowed in the country coming out amongst the nations leaders in sacks and pass D...Bradley Chubb and Marcus Davenport both spoke highly of him in the pre draft process so you could see the players getting behind him and would offer continuity which will be key.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 7:12 PM, Sugashane said:

I don't think we would be screwed at all.

As far as DCs if we want toi stay in house then Donatell might want to have another shot, he has heard every call Vic has made over the last X years, and learned a lot from his last DC stint in 2008.

Rodgers also has helped Hicks and Goldman ascend, but wouldn't likely be my choice.

We could also look at -

Wilks - has experience in a 4-3 and 3-4, and really we are base nickel so much it doesn't make as much difference.

Vance Joseph is a solid DC who prefers the 3-4

Pagano is rumored to want to get back into coaching, and players will run through a wall for him. He is a 3-4 coach as well

Rex Ryan coaching for the same team he grew up watching his dad dominate offenses under would be an interesting story. He sucks as a HC but his work as a DC was pretty damn stellar IIRC. His personality is the thing that makes me leery of him.

Coming from a Packer fan, Donatell was our DC many years back and didn't do so well.  Good DB coach, so you might hope they go after someone else.  Also, I heard that Fangio might take Dontelle with him as his DC on paper.  He was the DC during that 4th and 24 defensive screw up.  Kris Richards from Dallas would be a good pick up for your team.  

7 hours ago, Hurricanes773 said:

He is an older guy that does and says a lot of weird stuff that doesn't match his age.

No one thing, it's cumulative.  He's a risk.

I wouldn't mind it to be honest though.  You get a lot of young talent together and you only have one or two years to realisticly win these things without a HOF type QB in place and there are only 3 or 4 of those in league at any given time.  Even with the HOF QB its really hard, but they give you yearly hope. 

Bears window is likely next two years so its do or die. Rams, NO and MN knew this.  They went all in for this year.  Didn't work out for MN. Rams and NO still in it. 

13 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I actually don't mind Greg Williams. He is a Super Bowl winning DC and Pace knows him well. I think he would be alright. It seems like he commands a lot of respect from his players. Could do worse.

Correct me if I am wrong, but he has been fired every place he's been the DC.  Don't understand why Brown's would let him go, the defense was good.

Archived