Around The League V.2

Totty

41 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Has anyone addressed the fact that Jalen Carter has done squat since October? So much for that all pro as a rookie talk. His effort has been abysmal lately which happened at times at Georgia. 

Don't get it twisted, he's a stud but man people were crowning him the next John Randal earlier this year. 

I honestly thought he got injured.
He seems to be a guy that needs to be motivated by others rather than a guy who can push himself or his teammates.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Has anyone addressed the fact that Jalen Carter has done squat since October? So much for that all pro as a rookie talk. His effort has been abysmal lately which happened at times at Georgia. 

Don't get it twisted, he's a stud but man people were crowning him the next John Randal earlier this year. 

I was just about to mention that. He was up to -10,000 to win defensive rookie of the year in October and now it is not even listed. 

Carter fell off a cliff on the worst defense in the NFL. Ironically, Wilson finished stronger 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jerry said:

I still remember David Carr saying they should bench Hurts to get him healthy. They had the playoffs clinched in like week 12. They should have sat their starters and just prepped for the playoffs. 

Also, they should fire their OC. And get some speed in the defensive backfield. They’re old and slow.

I feel bad for Jason Kelce but at least he already got a SB.

lol i ws thinking that too, didnt want to post anything and be labeled a homer. 

I cant stand listening to David talk about DC, but he was absolutely roasted for that comment... and the eagles then went 1-5 and bounced first round after it.

Definitely think he may have been on to something. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

team starts losing and he loses interest ? 
definitely way to early to say one way or the other, but, him going to the eagles was definitely best case scenario for him. 

32 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

team starts losing and he loses interest ? 
definitely way to early to say one way or the other, but, him going to the eagles was definitely best case scenario for him. 

Now it's the offseason. Let's see if he can stay out of trouble off the field.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jerry said:

I still remember David Carr saying they should bench Hurts to get him healthy. They had the playoffs clinched in like week 12. They should have sat their starters and just prepped for the playoffs. 

Also, they should fire their OC. And get some speed in the defensive backfield. They’re old and slow.

I feel bad for Jason Kelce but at least he already got a SB.

After this season, the Eagles should honestly scrap the coaching staff entirely. 

The hot start masks a lot of it, but this is a textbook "lost the plot" situation for Sirianni. The DC choices he's made are stunningly bad. The offense was janky all year. Guys were going at it with each other on Twitter. The results ended embarrassingly. 

Hurts was banged up and ineffective for a while. Why Mariota wasn't put in for a bit was puzzling, especially once the post season was mostly locked in and it was just a matter of seeding. Basically, Sirianni pulled a little JMD and thought he could just make it work. The troubling part for Philadelphia is there's really no one thing to fix it all. The team has way too much talent to flop entirely without a full blown mutiny, they're not in a position to grab a franchise altering player unless they make a massive trade and since they already have a lot of those guys, who’s coming in that changes rhings? They need a new DC, for sure. But HC is more the concern as those guys looked and played totally checked out last night. 

I do think Sirianni has potential to be a very good HC, but I don't think it's with Philadelphia. Whatever changes he can make probably need to be somewhere where the well hasn't already been poisoned. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Styrian Raider said:

I honestly thought he got injured.
He seems to be a guy that needs to be motivated by others rather than a guy who can push himself or his teammates.

Definitely possible. Guys who are used to winning are the easiest ones to un-motivate when the team around them lags or collapses, especially when they're young. 

8 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

*Elite or some such I'm told.

I sorta feel for Hurts. He's a good enough QB to start. He looked worse at times this year than he did as a rookie, and I have a difficult time believing he alone regressed that much. 

That said, I think it's a cautionary tale for folks who salivate over run-happy athletic QBs. Hurts, Richardson...they're not small men. Richardson caught a bad injury amd got shut down. That happens and can be a freak injury. Hurts, on.the other hand, you gotta wonder how banged up he got from the Tush Push craze. It was never like the Bush Push, where Leinart got pushed through an opening. Philadelphia designs it like a QB sneak with extra weight. Dude took a major pounding every time they ran it, and I can't help but think that caught up to them in the end. 

Even Lamar. Hell be good and healthy every few seasons and can be super effective. But he's missed A LOT of time for what he's been paid. Great for FF seasons, not so much for real life. 

Saints just moved on from their OC Carmichael.

Rumors' were swirling earlier that they were looking at Gruden for a specialty type of offensive type coaching role. Would not surprise me in the least if they brought him in for some sort of odd-ball offensive consulting role and Dennis Allen gets canned if they lose some games, and they moved Gruden into the role. 

Whatever they do, their offensive staff is getting a huge shakeup. 

10 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Rumors' were swirling earlier that they were looking at Gruden for a specialty type of offensive type coaching role. Would not surprise me in the least if they brought him in for some sort of odd-ball offensive consulting role and Dennis Allen gets canned if they lose some games, and they moved Gruden into the role. 

Would make sense. I imagine it will be hard to convince a top OC there forced to start Carr and coach who feels like won't make it much longer. A Gruden succession plan in that sense would be the best option. Wild to think about. 

They need to do something because the Bucs are trending positive and Atlanta is talented, just needs a good coach. 

16 minutes ago, NickButera said:

We all know it's gonna be Greg Olson, right?

22 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I sorta feel for Hurts. He's a good enough QB to start. He looked worse at times this year than he did as a rookie, and I have a difficult time believing he alone regressed that much. 

That said, I think it's a cautionary tale for folks who salivate over run-happy athletic QBs. Hurts, Richardson...they're not small men. Richardson caught a bad injury amd got shut down. That happens and can be a freak injury. Hurts, on.the other hand, you gotta wonder how banged up he got from the Tush Push craze. It was never like the Bush Push, where Leinart got pushed through an opening. Philadelphia designs it like a QB sneak with extra weight. Dude took a major pounding every time they ran it, and I can't help but think that caught up to them in the end. 

Even Lamar. Hell be good and healthy every few seasons and can be super effective. But he's missed A LOT of time for what he's been paid. Great for FF seasons, not so much for real life. 

The 49ers exposed Hurts. You take away his quick escape routes, he's lost. He can't play from the pocket. 

These running QBs are fun. They will have some flashy stats and seasons, but the game is and always will be played from the pocket. Mahomes, Allen and even Lamar now to a degree with Monken are passers from the pocket, who can make plays outside it.

Hurts is one dimensional. You force him to play QB in the pocket, he starts feeling the rush and struggles. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Richardson is much better natural passer than Hurts, has the height, and has a laser arm. Hurts has always had a clunky throwing motion and just not natural when throwing the ball. 

Edited by Tank4Drake

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You know... not everything has to be read into as "reasons to hate Carr" I'm simply recounting the time in history. 

It was 100% JDR's decision to move on and he deserved to loose the job because of it. He panicked at the thought of Downing leaving to an OC gig. But Carr was instrumental in that as well, not wanting to lose Downing.

Be it the injury, the OC change, etc. Carr never grew off that 2016 season.

I personally think Downing was JDR and Carr’s “boy” and they both paid the price for it.