Around The League V.2

Totty

33 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

To think there were stooges on here last season thinking Carr's worth via trade was a 2nd round pick.  To say they are clueless and know nothing about football is an understatement.  SMH

Your right Carrs worth more .... we always seem to agree... but your kinda asking for a retaliatory comment.  But hey if you can handle the heat go for it! lol, respect 🤜🤛

One reason the Rams paid so much was they wanted out of Goff’s guaranteed contract and paid a premium for Detroit to take him.  On the flip side, Carrs zero guaranteed money and 20m salary for 3/2 years would have been a big premium teams trading for him would have paid.  If you can land a top 8-12 starting QB without having to pay a SB or any guaranteed money that’s a very big deal.  That allows you to build around.... expect we can’t seem to do that.... which shows you the ineptness of many of our decisions the last 2 years. 

The other thing is the Rams are a good team already and with an upgrade at QB are expected to be picking 24-30.... so the chances of them giving up a high 1st is low.  You’ve got to consider the range of what’re the team is likely to be picking.... and the value of those 1sts.  

If we were to trade Carr I think we’d be able to get 2 late firsts straight up.  Maybe we get a 4th or Non-QB player back as well.  Stafford had a very smiliar contract for the incoming team.  He’s 3-4 years older I believe but he probably has a bit more value throughout the league.  

The only other thing is last year the trade market for QBs wasn’t what it is today.  You saw Cam and Winston get near minimum deals and were just 12 months from being hot, valuable QBs.  Since then their value has dipped.  And Brees and Rivers are likely retiring, Jimmy G most likely has lost his job in SF.  Daks injury has him a less valued long term QB.  Brady could retire if he wins the SB.  Matt Ryan could be in his way out next year.  Bridgewater has shown he’s not a QB a team would want to build around, but is a okay stopgap.   And Mariota didn’t rebound and show he’s a franchise QB and T.Hill isn’t likely to be a starting QB.... Foles isn’t coming back as a starter... etc etc.  So clearly the surplus of starting QBs has dropped a bit.  

The value of players is fairly reliant on the market and supply and demand.  Carr could have fetched a single 1st and 3rd last year and thus year cost 2 1sts.  You need 2 and ideally 3 teams to want your player to drive up the price.  If there’s only one buyer then teams will feel they don’t and shouldn’t pay fair value.... let alone compete against other deals.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

McVay don’t BS around. No settling for mediocrity for him. 

Well he kinda had to make a move once he believed Goff wasn’t the QB long term.  It doesn’t take but 2 years of a drop of before your organization and teams around the league will go from considering you to be the young rising star coach to guy who had a flash in the pan fluke season or two and ultimately didn’t last.

I respect that he’s willing to make a bold trade and take a shot versus being stagnant and most likely slowly slipping.

15 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Your right Carrs worth more .... we always seem to agree... but your kinda asking for a retaliatory comment.  But hey if you can handle the heat go for it! lol, respect 🤜🤛

One reason the Rams paid so much was they wanted out of Goff’s guaranteed contract and paid a premium for Detroit to take him.  On the flip side, Carrs zero guaranteed money and 20m salary for 3/2 years would have been a big premium teams trading for him would have paid.  If you can land a top 8-12 starting QB without having to pay a SB or any guaranteed money that’s a very big deal.  That allows you to build around.... expect we can’t seem to do that.... which shows you the ineptness of many of our decisions the last 2 years. 

The other thing is the Rams are a good team already and with an upgrade at QB are expected to be picking 24-30.... so the chances of them giving up a high 1st is low.  You’ve got to consider the range of what’re the team is likely to be picking.... and the value of those 1sts.  

If we were to trade Carr I think we’d be able to get 2 late firsts straight up.  Maybe we get a 4th or Non-QB player back as well.  Stafford had a very smiliar contract for the incoming team.  He’s 3-4 years older I believe but he probably has a bit more value throughout the league.  

The only other thing is last year the trade market for QBs wasn’t what it is today.  You saw Cam and Winston get near minimum deals and were just 12 months from being hot, valuable QBs.  Since then their value has dipped.  And Brees and Rivers are likely retiring, Jimmy G most likely has lost his job in SF.  Daks injury has him a less valued long term QB.  Brady could retire if he wins the SB.  Matt Ryan could be in his way out next year.  Bridgewater has shown he’s not a QB a team would want to build around, but is a okay stopgap.   And Mariota didn’t rebound and show he’s a franchise QB and T.Hill isn’t likely to be a starting QB.... Foles isn’t coming back as a starter... etc etc.  So clearly the surplus of starting QBs has dropped a bit.  

The value of players is fairly reliant on the market and supply and demand.  Carr could have fetched a single 1st and 3rd last year and thus year cost 2 1sts.  You need 2 and ideally 3 teams to want your player to drive up the price.  If there’s only one buyer then teams will feel they don’t and shouldn’t pay fair value.... let alone compete against other deals.

Yes, we do agree on a lot and have a similar understanding of football the game and business!

haha I am just sick and tired of posters on here making comments, claim they watch football and understand the game.  They literally have no clue what they're talking about yet are convinced they're right.  It's absolutely bizarre.  

I agree with most of what you said other than Stafford has a higher worth around the league than Carr.  As you point out he is older than Carr, has had more weapons throughout his career yet over the last 6 years has very similar numbers to Carr.  Both have favorable contracts but honestly its splitting hairs, both are good QB's on friendly contracts who have played on dumpster fore teams throughout their careers.  McVay realized what Stafford is all about and backed in the Brinks truck for him.  I would expect the same if not a higher return for Carr if we dangled him out there. 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 1

Essentially the Rams paid a premium for the Lions to include Goff in the trade.  Had they cut him it’d have cost them like 50m in dead cap (I believe don’t quote me) versus trading him, which means the other team accepts 33m in guarantees.

Goff is like a car that’s worth 10k but you owe 15k on and are trading it in..... your going to pay a hefty premium on the new car you get.

Conversely.... the Rams are paying another premium for getting a 32yo QB of that quality whose only costs 20 and 23m the next 2 years.  That will allow them to fix their cap situation.  

So If anything Stafford really wasn’t traded for Goff plus 2 1sts and a 3rd.....  it was more like a 1 this year, 2nd next year..... the rest is taking goff of their hands and Stafford’s premium contract.

• Like 1