Around The League V.2

Totty

5 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

This just shows you how hard it is to get a real pocket passing QB.

Teams are throwing multiple 1st round picks for a 33 year old Matthew Stafford.

Where are the people who say there's are franchise QBs and every draft

The Rams are in win now mode and have a 2-3 year Super Bowl window. They didn't have a first round pick this year and even if they did are you going to put all of your faith in a rookie QB to deliver for a team looking to win now?

Stafford is a proven commodity and a top 10 QB. He has consistently been one of the better QB's in the league for a decade despite being in a terrible situation. 

There could be franchise QB's in this draft. The Rams didn't have a first round pick so how would they have acquired one? If you're chasing a Super Bowl next season do you trust a rookie QB like Trey Lance/Mac Jones or Matt Stafford to get you there? 

Edited by NYRaider

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

10-6 with a second round appearance and QB's are getting moved. 

Over the last 4 seasons. 

Goff (42-20 record, 4 winning seasons, 67% win): 17,081 yards, 102 TD, 48 INT, 3 playoff appearances, 1 Super Bowl appearance 

Carr (25-38, 0 winning seasons, 38% win): 15,702 yards, 89 TD, 40 INT, 0 playoff appearances, 0 Super Bowl appearances 

Yet the Rams were ready to ship Goff out of town immediately to give themselves a chance to compete. That's why they're going to win a super bowl next season. 

But Carr is clearly a much better QB than Goff and hasn't hamstrung the team with a huge contract like Goff had. Good move by the Rams but to equate that to Carr is inaccurate at best. Goff is among the Rams worst players, Carr is among our best.

Edited by Darbsk

Texans are the other side of what could happen if you do the trade picks approach with a crappy coaching staff and front office. I think the Rams have done it fairly smart tbh. Look at the level of players the Texans traded for and then look at the level of players the Rams traded for. The year they traded for Tunsil they could have traded up in that draft and pick one of the better OTs by not doing that left them desperate and Miami jumped all over that. Cooks for a second rounder. 

Also it works out well for the Rams because they have shown to be able to develop players. Texans couldn’t do that. 

There’s gonna come a time where the Rams will pay for this, but not in the next couple years. 

7 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

But Carr is clearly a much better QB than Goff and hasn't hamstrung the team with a huge contract like Goff had. Good move by the Rams but to equate that to Carr is inaccurate at best. Goff is among the rams worst players, Carr us among our best.

The point I was trying to make is that Goff got shipped away after a 10 win season and a playoff win after already having had led them to the Super Bowl. Carr is anointed as our savior for winning 8 games. It's just different. 

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The point I was trying to make is that Goff got shipped away after a 10 win season and a playoff win after already having had led them to the Super Bowl. Carr is anointed as our savior for winning 8 games. It's just different. 

Nobody is anointing Carr though and Goff is clearly holding the Rams back. Our D is the factor clearly holding us back so it's a totally different situation? Heck, the one game they played ok we beat the Chiefs 😀

9 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Also it works out well for the Rams because they have shown to be able to develop players. Texans couldn’t do that. 

This is the main reason why the Rams have been able to make blockbuster moves and succeed while the Texans have tanked. The Rams have drafted well and developed guys. Their RB duo Akers/Henderson were 2nd/3rd rounders and Kupp/Reynolds/Higbee were 3rd/4th rounders. On defense they drafted guys like Donald/Brockers early and found guys like Joseph/Fuller/JJ3/Ebukam/Littleton later in the draft or in UDFA. 

And they topped it off by acquiring guys like Leonard Floyd and Robert Woods on team friendly deals in free agency. 

I've said it before and I'll say it now, Reggie McKenzie's biggest downfall was his inability to find talent later in the draft. Had he been able to consistently hit on guys from rounds 2-5 and find starting caliber players, we would've been in a position to pay Carr/Cooper/Mack but because he didn't we had no depth and no talent, so paying all 3 of them would've killed us. 

2 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Nobody is anointing Carr though and Goff is clearly holding the Rams back. Our D is the factor clearly holding us back so it's a totally different situation? Heck, the one game they played ok we beat the Chiefs 😀

I like Carr and agree the defense is holding us back. Hopefully we get to see Carr play with an above average defense at some point.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Rams are in win now mode and have a 2-3 year Super Bowl window. They didn't have a first round pick this year and even if they did are you going to put all of your faith in a rookie QB to deliver for a team looking to win now?

Stafford is a proven commodity and a top 10 QB. He has consistently been one of the better QB's in the league for a decade despite being in a terrible situation. 

There could be franchise QB's in this draft. The Rams didn't have a first round pick so how would they have acquired one? If you're chasing a Super Bowl next season do you trust a rookie QB like Trey Lance/Mac Jones or Matt Stafford to get you there? 

Stafford is not a top 10 QB.  Just no way.  I would take like 12-15 QBs before even considering Stafford.  He's like Gamestop right now, apparently his stock just sky rocketed through the roof.  I don't think anyone was considering him to be anything of value before the Rams went after him.  I'll agree that he clearly is an upgrade to Goff, but to throw him in the top 10 all of a sudden is just too much.  At least let him prove he can be top 10 with the Rams before you go and anoint him as such.

4 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Stafford is not a top 10 QB.  Just no way.  I would take like 12-15 QBs before even considering Stafford.  He's like Gamestop right now, apparently his stock just sky rocketed through the roof.  I don't think anyone was considering him to be anything of value before the Rams went after him.  I'll agree that he clearly is an upgrade to Goff, but to throw him in the top 10 all of a sudden is just too much.  At least let him prove he can be top 10 with the Rams before you go and anoint him as such.

He's in the top 10 conversation, but I don't think he makes the Rams that much better than they were with Goff. Goff is probably in that 15-20 range, but Stafford comes with his own issues, including spotty accuracy and injuries.

1 minute ago, Rich7sena said:

He's in the top 10 conversation, but I don't think he makes the Rams that much better than they were with Goff. Goff is probably in that 15-20 range, but Stafford comes with his own issues, including spotty accuracy and injuries.

Maybe he is now with a loaded Rams offense.  But before that he was never ever being talked about as a top 10 QB in the league.  I cannot recall once seeing anyone on this forum talk about Stafford being a top 10 QB.  This is literally the first time I am hearing this.

18 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Maybe he is now with a loaded Rams offense.  But before that he was never ever being talked about as a top 10 QB in the league.  I cannot recall once seeing anyone on this forum talk about Stafford being a top 10 QB.  This is literally the first time I am hearing this.

We will not know for sure until we see him play with the Rams but I would take Stafford over Carr.  Stafford has more talent and has more of the mindset that I want for my QB.  There is not enough difference to spend the way the Rams did.  What Carr has is age.

44 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

We will not know for sure until we see him play with the Rams but I would take Stafford over Carr.  Stafford has more talent and has more of the mindset that I want for my QB.  There is not enough difference to spend the way the Rams did.  What Carr has is age.

And DC is 5M cheaper annually.  That's enough to sign a decent starter at a position of need.

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

I wouldn't be shocked to see him in a top 10 list. After the few elite QBs, it's a bunch of guys in the same tier. Tannehill, Stafford, Cousins, Carr (and probably a few more i'm forgetting right now) are all in there, imo.

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/cap/

Saints about to be 70M over the cap without Brees?  That's tough stuff.    Steelers seem like they can manage though.

The salary cap is a myth. Teams always keep the players they want. 

Brees will retire. They restructure Lattimore and Ramczyk. Cut Jenkins, Alexander, Sanders, Easton and a couple others. They'll loose Hendrickson and WIlliams to FA, but get back draft compensation.

All their star talent stays in tack. Same coaching staff. I don't see how their windows closed. 

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

There are not 12 better QBs than Stafford. This has been a long time coming. He's one of the best QBs with one of the worst franchises. If he were anywhere else, you'd say he's a top 10 talent. 

He'll be a top 5-7 passer next year.