Around The League V.2

Totty

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

31st rushing offense, 27th in pts/g allowed, 30th total D, 24th passing D, 32nd rushing D. Everything was on Watson's shoulders.

What he did on offense is pretty impressive when you consider the lack of skill position and he was second on the team in rushing yards. He elevates an offense.

41 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Do people think Miller could cut it as a RT? Intriguing to see a young stud T like Brown potentially being available, although he's made it clear here he wants to be on the left side. I wonder if he asks for a trade knowing Stanley is 100000%. their LT of the future.

Miller certainly could play RT.... but I wouldn’t move him.  We should be extending him this offseason but will likely do it next offseason.  He’s under contract next year plus a 5th year option.  He’s played like a top 10 LT IMO.... so moving him to RT isn’t a good idea.  Blue we simply can’t afford to give Miller and Brown new deals.

we’d be best served signing a veteran RT to start and drafting a RT in rounds 2-4 to become a starter in year 2.  That way when Miller’s contract averages 16-18M APY (hopefully we can extend him early and use his cheaper ‘21 and ‘22 5th year option years to tag some roster bonuses from the new deal into those years .... so his average cap hit in the New Years can be 12-14M) we’ll have 2 additional years of a Starting RT making 1.5-2.5M (their 4th year they’d meet first contract PPE incentives and itd rise to sub 4M).

hopefully in that time period we can also draft a mid round RG to pair with Simpson and have cheap but good guards.  

the days of 50+M into the OL have to end.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Miller certainly could play RT.... but I wouldn’t move him.  We should be extending him this offseason but will likely do it next offseason.  He’s under contract next year plus a 5th year option.  He’s played like a top 10 LT IMO.... so moving him to RT isn’t a good idea.  Blue we simply can’t afford to give Miller and Brown new deals.

we’d be best served signing a veteran RT to start and drafting a RT in rounds 2-4 to become a starter in year 2.  That way when Miller’s contract averages 16-18M APY (hopefully we can extend him early and use his cheaper ‘21 and ‘22 5th year option years to tag some roster bonuses from the new deal into those years .... so his average cap hit in the New Years can be 12-14M) we’ll have 2 additional years of a Starting RT making 1.5-2.5M (their 4th year they’d meet first contract PPE incentives and itd rise to sub 4M).

hopefully in that time period we can also draft a mid round RG to pair with Simpson and have cheap but good guards.  

the days of 50+M into the OL have to end.

I agree, but can see us always being close to 50M and that becoming more normal with the cap rising.  Hard not to get close to 50M with Miller about to get his extension, Hudson a pro bowl caliber C, and a FA RT that will probably command possibly 8-10M per season.  Plus Gabe's salary of 10-11M per season.  We're going to be around 40M+ until Gabe, Hudson, or Miller leaves.

43 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I agree, but can see us always being close to 50M and that becoming more normal with the cap rising.  Hard not to get close to 50M with Miller about to get his extension, Hudson a pro bowl caliber C, and a FA RT that will probably command possibly 8-10M per season.  Plus Gabe's salary of 10-11M per season.  We're going to be around 40M+ until Gabe, Hudson, or Miller leaves.

It could get lower but we'd have to draft more OL. It's the same at every position, if you have starters on rookie deals, you have a cheaper unit. With the needs on defense, we probably won't add a high pick on the OL this season. Maybe Simpson earns a starting spot and that'd be a step towards lowering the OL cost.

16 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

It could get lower but we'd have to draft more OL. It's the same at every position, if you have starters on rookie deals, you have a cheaper unit. With the needs on defense, we probably won't add a high pick on the OL this season. Maybe Simpson earns a starting spot and that'd be a step towards lowering the OL cost.

I think we should consider resigning D. Good and have him play RT.  Cut T. Brown.  Cut Incognito and have Simpson or a rookie play LG (training camp competition).  That would save us about 10M in a single offseason.  We need to eventually draft Hudson's replacement which would save us another 8-9M in the next 2-3 years.  Kolton has earned his, we all know that.  G. Jackson will eventually either need to take a small pay cut IMO or we should move on.  I think we can find a RG for 7-8M less per season via the draft.  So we can definitely be looking at an OL making around 25-30M which I think is reasonable.

26 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I think we should consider resigning D. Good and have him play RT.  Cut T. Brown.  Cut Incognito and have Simpson or a rookie play LG (training camp competition).  That would save us about 10M in a single offseason.  We need to eventually draft Hudson's replacement which would save us another 8-9M in the next 2-3 years.  Kolton has earned his, we all know that.  G. Jackson will eventually either need to take a small pay cut IMO or we should move on.  I think we can find a RG for 7-8M less per season via the draft.  So we can definitely be looking at an OL making around 25-30M which I think is reasonable.

I think the OL overhaul will take 2 years... can’t try to change it all in one offseason.

LG- might be time for Richie to retire. I’m ready to let Simpson become starter. Maybe bring in a cheap vet to challenge him, a Eric Kush tier. Or a day 3 prospect for competition and depth. Richie replacement is in house

C- Hudson getting older but hasn’t  regressed at all. I think we can look to hold off this position until 2022 at the earliest. James is actually a decent backup too. Kinda wanted to see him get some work at Guard when injuries hit. He was a coveted LT at UCLA, he’s been solid every chance he has had. 

RG- Jackson, maybe this is the off-season he reworks his contract to a more team friendly deal. If he reworks his contract, could be a starter for a few more years. If he still refuses, we could find his replacement on Day2 or a cheaper vet. Gabe is solid but paid like an all pro. I feel like this team needs to spend on defense, RT, and WR. I think we address Gabe in 2022, and spend more time getting a new RT. It’s not smart to have so many moving parts on the OL. 

RT- I’m all for Brown getting cut. We need to count on OL and they should be in peak shape and have to be dragged off the field for injury. Trent is the exact opposite. We overpaid him, and shouldn’t spend so much on RT. I think we could find his replacement day2 or sign a vet for a more reasonable deal. I also like the idea of Good on a lower starting RT salary. Good is a solid player, I think he is a better tackle then guard. Good played a lot of guard last year and we had a tough time running the ball up the middle. Makes sense because it’s all about leverage on the inner line. At tackle, Good has replaced Brown and we haven’t skipped a beat. We have a replacement in house 

Edited by Humble_Beast
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Hopefully not the 49ers. Can’t stand their fanbase, they just need a Qb and good health to be back in mix

Probably an AFC team.  Maybe the Broncos.  Hope that doesn't happen though.

5 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Hopefully not the 49ers. Can’t stand their fanbase, they just need a Qb and good health to be back in mix

I can see him in Washington, they could be a contender with him and a good off season. They were my sleeper team this year and seem to be heading upward.

13 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I can see him in Washington, they could be a contender with him and a good off season. They were my sleeper team this year and seem to be heading upward.

That defensive line.  Just goes to show how important they are.

• Like 1