Around The League V.2

Totty

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I'm so tired of hearing about Bieniemy not getting a job. Because KC's offense is awesome, people act like he is entitled to a job and it's annoying. 

There is more to being a HC than being a coordinator on a good team. That formula has churned out failed coach after failed coach (see New England). Hell, the last two Andy Reid guys Pederson (fired) and Nagy (soon to be fired) are examples. 

I've never understood hiring a coach off an elite talented team just because he was a coach there. Being a coordinator on a massively talented team does not mean you know how to lead a team. Success is not guaranteed.

I don't disagree. But that should then also apply to Smith, Sirriani, and Staley. And Zac Taylor last year. That argument shouldn't be weilded selectively otherwise it becomes a double standard.

• Like 1

No chance, but I'd still move mountains to land Watson. Look at it over the next 10 years:

With Carr - Not going to win a Superbowl with him. He'll likely fall off or retire in the next 5-6 years. 

With Watson - Top 5 QB, chance at winning a Superbowl somewhere in his career.

I get not wanting to leverage your future draft capital and all that. But getting a top 5 QB of this caliber can alter a franchise. The draft is a crapshoot, the picks would be mid-low most years. You have several other picks a year to acquire talent.

31 teams would take this guy over their QB right now. This will be nuts to see unfold.

14 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

No chance, but I'd still move mountains to land Watson. Look at it over the next 10 years:

With Carr - Not going to win a Superbowl with him. He'll likely fall off or retire in the next 5-6 years. 

I get not wanting to leverage your future draft capital and all that. But getting a top 5 QB of this caliber can alter a franchise. The draft is a crapshoot, the picks would be mid-low most years. You have several other picks a year to acquire talent.

31 teams would take this guy over their QB right now. This will be nuts to see unfold.

You know how I have always said... Keep Carr and build around him... 

My heart still says that, but I would NOT be mad if we made a deal with the Texans.  

I agree it won't happen but it's fun to think about. We'd have to give up the farm for him but its' most definitely an upgrade at QB and he's signed for longer. Houston also has paid out a ton of his money already so he's sub $30M per which is great for a top 5 QB in his prime.

Imagine Carr going the other way. Houston fans we die with another Carr at the helm lol.

45 minutes ago, Totty said:

You know how I have always said... Keep Carr and build around him... 

My heart still says that, but I would NOT be mad if we made a deal with the Texans.  

Carr will never be a top 5 QB. That is what it takes to get to a Superbowl. Sure you get some one offs like the 2019 49ers, but consistently the teams with the best QBs make the playoffs and win in them. 

I like Carr, but until he proves he can win in December... I can't buy him as anything more than a regular season QB who puts up stats. 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

its also the cap for me, but man, hard not to get excited about Watson, he is a GREAT player. 

26 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Just depressing knowing two years ago we had 5 first round picks, the most draft capitol in the league. And now a young top 5 franchise QB becomes available after we spent it all on mostly non impactful players. 

Yet what you argue for trading for a stud player you get blowback from the "DON'T LEVERAGE THE FUTURE" crowd

Draft picks are so so so overrated. The only reason fans care so much for them is because of websites like this where you can talk about draft picks. The draft is all pageantry, After the top 7 picks in most classes, the players are all so similar you're just hoping to get luck on raw talent, work ethic and how they will react when paid millions.

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Watson is one of the top QB's in the NFL, I don't think that is a question but on the flip side he was the QB on a team that won 4 games this year and his team had more talent that us on both sides of the ball.  He clearly need to be surrounded by talent to win a SB as well...

10 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Watson is one of the top QB's in the NFL, I don't think that is a question but on the flip side he was the QB on a team that won 4 games this year and his team had more talent that us on both sides of the ball.  He clearly need to be surrounded by talent to win a SB as well...

The Texans were a mess last season. There was no fight, players quit, the coach was fired. They play in a tough division. It was a one off season in my view. Watson won the AFC south the 2 years prior. 

They traded a top 3 WR, Watson still had a QB rating of 112, through for >4,000 yards and 33 TDs.

Football is a team sport, so yes you have to have talent around a QB. Even KC needed to revamp the defense to get where they are.

Watson does  more with less however on offense and is a top tier leader.

Edited by big_palooka

35 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

The Texans were a mess last season. There was no fight, players quit, the coach was fired. They play in a tough division. It was a one off season in my view. Watson won the AFC south the 2 years prior. 

They traded a top 3 WR, Watson still had a QB rating of 112, through for >4,000 yards and 33 TDs.

Football is a team sport, so yes you have to have talent around a QB. Even KC needed to revamp the defense to get where they are.

Watson does  more with less however on offense and is a top tier leader.

31st rushing offense, 27th in pts/g allowed, 30th total D, 24th passing D, 32nd rushing D. Everything was on Watson's shoulders.

• Like 1