Around The League V.2

Totty

10 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Both of these QBs are under 30 as well. The AFC going through KC and Buffalo for awhile. Need a blue chip game changer to beat them

Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Jackson are going to be in the mix every year for the playoffs. You either need to find a QB who can compete on this level, or you won't make it far in the AFC.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BayRaider said:

100%. I don’t care what team is around him. He is not beating Mahomes/Allen in the playoffs. 

Agreed. You can talk about supporting cast all you want. These dudes have an it factor Carr doesn't have. Even Burrow. Dude was sacked 9 times and still fought back. They have a bottom 5 Oline, but they don't make excuses. No quit in that guy. Can you imagine if Carr was sacked 9 times in a game? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, roi34 said:

Jordan love looks awful are u kidding? 

Lamar still not great passer. also plenty of early qbs bust, Daniel Jones, darnold, trubisky.. 

no qb in this draft looks that great, not enough to risk. imo 

next year you'll have better options

I've always been in the Ron Wolf line of thinking. You take a QB every year until you strike gold on one. Most important position on the field. The teams that win consistently and make the playoffs consistently have a top tier QB.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I've always been in the Ron Wolf line of thinking. You take a QB every year until you strike gold on one. Most important position on the field. The teams that win consistently and make the playoffs consistently have a top tier QB.

Yessir. Not top tier at all but minshew is a good example of a “feisty/gamer” late rnd guy. It’s why I mentioned cole Kelley as a 7th/UDFA this year. He has some tools and is IMO definitely an interesting end of draft prospect. And with good pro coaching/development , who knows? 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Agreed. You can talk about supporting cast all you want. These dudes have an it factor Carr doesn't have. Even Burrow. Dude was sacked 9 times and still fought back. They have a bottom 5 Oline, but they don't make excuses. No quit in that guy. Can you imagine if Carr was sacked 9 times in a game? 

At least half the sacks were his fault tbf, holds onto the ball for ages in order to make big plays down the field. 

7 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Bengals are not good and don’t deserve to be in the AFC Title Game. I’ve never seen a team get so many ref calls in two straight playoff games. They should of lost both games IMO. But I will be forced to root for them next week. Hopefully they get a third straight game of ref loveage. 

There were a few false starts not called on the Bengals. Which is surprising as the refs usually don’t ever miss those

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I'll disagree with that. Their Oline sucks and were getting eaten alive. 

First sack, simple checkdown but he panics and doesn't keep eyes down field. Has ball for over 3 seconds and drops his eyes too quickly. 

2nd sack he gets buried absolutely no chance to do anything. 

3rd he has a receiver open in the flat but more O-Line than him

4th isn't a sack really, he has time just good coverage and he makes a smart dash to the LOS. If he held half a second longer he has a reciever come open in the flat but he may not have got throw off. 

5th sack is 100% on him, has a checkdown into flat and for some odd reason he holds ball then spins around and gets buried. Really really poor play that makes a FG attempt much harder. 

6th sack, 100% O-Line

7th sack is a free man blitz so he has to get it out, has a free guy into the flat but again he panics and runs backwards instead of just instantly getting it out of his hands. He may not have gotten a completion but could easily have got an incompletion. If he isn't going to change the protection at the line and keep a man in it is his responsibility to get the ball out before they get home.  

8th sack he has a guy in the flats but it is behind the sticks and O-Line didn't hold up long enough for the good coverage. On the O-Line

9th sack completely on the O-Line

His line is really bad but so is his poise in the pocket, he panics/flinches and bails too quickly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Jackson are going to be in the mix every year for the playoffs. You either need to find a QB who can compete on this level, or you won't make it far in the AFC.

This.

I didn’t even get to the Burrow, Herbert and Jackson dilemma. Since we resigned Carr in 2017, all of those QBs were drafted in the AFC. 

The theory of not finding a QB better than Carr is false. We need to take some chances and upgrade the most important position on the field 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

This.

I didn’t even get to the Burrow, Herbert and Jackson dilemma. Since we resigned Carr in 2017, all of those QBs were drafted in the AFC. 

The theory of not finding a QB better than Carr is false. We need to take some chances and upgrade the most important position on the field 

I read an article on the Ringer today and they are right. Having a "good enough" QB is no longer good enough. The game is changing and you better adapt. 

Carr is the epitome of "good enough" around here to fans. Some would rather be good enough, make the playoffs every couple years with Carr's milquetoast blend of football than chase championships. See Andy Dalton.

Yes, you'll probably strike out on QBs, but better to strike out trying to hit than play it safe with Carr until he retires. And you hope that you've hired the right staff to develop QBs and do everything you can do to elevate that position to compete with these young guys. 

Derek Carr is not going to cut it, period. Good enough won't get you where you want to go. 

Look at the the Bills, they had the #1 defense is yards allowed and only allowed 17 passing TDs all year. They couldn't stop the games best QB. Defense alone isn't going to be enough to compete with these guys. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

This.

Not to mention if Watson gets his cases resolved and remains in the AFC, he is a top 7-10 QB as well. I'm still personally a believer in Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson's talent as well if they get the right coaching. The road in the AFC will be hell for years.

Scared money don't make money. Look at the remaining 4 teams in the playoffs. They all made major QB moves recently after years of dealing with average to good QB play. Bengals moved on from Dalton and drafted Burrow, Rams moved on from Goff and traded for Stafford, Chiefs weren't complacent with Alex Smith and moved up to get Mahomes, and the 49ers made a move to get Lance even though he isn't starting for them now. The best franchises weren't satisfied with good enough and it's paying off for them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

9 fumbles?

He had 13 fumbles on 40 sacks this year so according to that ratio he would have fumbled 3 times. 

Tough to see the Bengals winning that game if Burrow would have lost 1-3 fumbles. 

As for Carr, it’s a troubling stat that should be factored into his overall player evaluation. 

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

It's easy to say one way or another when it comes to supporting cast.  We will probably never know what Carr could do with 3 #1 WR's and a top flight RB like Burrow has or the plethora of weapons Mahomes lucked into.

We may get to see what Burrow and Mahomes would become without them, but It wouldn't be for a few years at least.

Having top tier skill players can allow you to overcome other mediocre players. Carr gets bashed a lot and in some cases good reason. 

Redzone, fumbles, wussy, too religious.  Fine whatever.

However, to say he doesn't have the it-factor while leading this team to so many wins in those situations doesn't compute for me.  Most fans remember the handful of losses or boneheaded mistakes instead. 24 comebacks and 30 game winning drives, both top 20 of all-time, makes me feel differently.

I work in IT and I see it every day.  No ones thinks about the 99.9% of the time everything is running smoothly.  It's the .1% when they couldn't print, email, etc. that they talk about.

• Like 3