Around The League V.2

Totty

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Not really. 

System QB who relied on athleticism that's bound to decline and a lot of lucky hero ball is what his career largely was. 

He was always a guy taking awful and unnecessary sacks, but Seattle's D usually gave their offenses enough chances to mask it. He had hot streaks, yes, but his talent has been way overblown for a few years now. 

I'm just glad we never fell for the hype. Seattle fleeced Denver for us, and I'm grateful for it. 

Hackett is arguably the worst coach in the league, their OL is atrocious, and their weapons were always overrated, imo. But yeah, Russ just doesn't look even remotely close to what once was. I think one of the issues is that we've seen guys like Brees, Manning, Rodgers, Brady, etc. play at a high level deep into their 30s so people expect that to be the norm when they're all outliers. We haven't really seen very many QB's play at an elite level deep into their 30s and I can't remember any of them that were more so duel threat players. 

Outside of their game against us the Broncos defense has still been very good, they've only allowed 48 points in their other 4 games combined. 

We might have been underwhelming so far this season, but wow the Broncos have been a total disaster vs their expectations.

Hackett looks miles out of his depth, but they’ll probably get rid of him relatively easily and bring in a veteran HC to stabilise things. On the other hand, though, they’re stuck with Wilson for a long time and are paying him a lot of cash. The dude looks completely washed and considering he’s an ageing QB you’ve got to imagine things will only be trending in one direction there.

And I’m going to thoroughly enjoy the ride.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

We might have been underwhelming so far this season, but wow the Broncos have been a total disaster vs their expectations.

Hackett looks miles out of his depth, but they’ll probably get rid of him relatively easily and bring in a veteran HC to stabilise things. On the other hand, though, they’re stuck with Wilson for a long time and are paying him a lot of cash. The dude looks completely washed and considering he’s an ageing QB you’ve got to imagine things will only be trending in one direction there.

And I’m going to thoroughly enjoy the ride.

I think most Broncos fans expected Wilson to have the Peyton effect and make them an instant contender. I mean we heard for years that the Broncos were a QB away from being a Super Bowl level team. Based on how Wilson has looked I think that his finger injury is still bothering him. His efficiency has basically fallen off of a cliff both in Seattle and Denver post-injury. 

I still just don't get why they decided to extend him before he ever played a snap there. He still had 2 years left on his deal that were extremely team friendly. 

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I think most Broncos fans expected Wilson to have the Peyton effect and make them an instant contender. I mean we heard for years that the Broncos were a QB away from being a Super Bowl level team. Based on how Wilson has looked I think that his finger injury is still bothering him. His efficiency has basically fallen off of a cliff both in Seattle and Denver post-injury. 

I still just don't get why they decided to extend him before he ever played a snap there. He still had 2 years left on his deal that were extremely team friendly. 

because it was part of agreeing to trade basically

8 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

For sure, I do expect them to clean it up / figure it out a bit.

must be nice to be able win games, without your D tiring out with so many 3 and outs 

They played the ghost of Matt Ryan. If they were chasing a Kyler Murray around ala the Raiders week 2, that prob looks a but different. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

They played the ghost of Matt Ryan. If they were chasing a Kyler Murray around ala the Raiders week 2, that prob looks a but different. 

The Broncos have went up against Geno, Mills, Jimmy, Carr, and Ryan. The NFL has given them a cupcake schedule to start each of the last two seasons. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Hackett is arguably the worst coach in the league, their OL is atrocious, and their weapons were always overrated, imo. But yeah, Russ just doesn't look even remotely close to what once was. I think one of the issues is that we've seen guys like Brees, Manning, Rodgers, Brady, etc. play at a high level deep into their 30s so people expect that to be the norm when they're all outliers. We haven't really seen very many QB's play at an elite level deep into their 30s and I can't remember any of them that were more so duel threat players. 

Outside of their game against us the Broncos defense has still been very good, they've only allowed 48 points in their other 4 games combined. 

Agreed. Sutton has had some splashy moments. Jeudy has been living off his Alabama hype. Russ had better weapons that carried him in Seattle. 

Russ can't play from the pocket and he's not as mobile as he once to offset that. Brees was short, but he was an elite pocket passer late into his career. 

I think the Broncos defense is overrated. The Raiders had their way with them. Had they scored in the red zone, it was a blow out. Otherwise, they played Geno, Mills, Jimmy G and Matt Ryan's corpse.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Agreed. Sutton has had some splashy moments. Jeudy has been living off his Alabama hype. Russ had better weapons that carried him in Seattle. 

Russ can't play from the pocket and he's not as mobile as he once to offset that. Brees was short, but he was an elite pocket passer late into his career. 

I think the Broncos defense is overrated. The Raiders had their way with them. Had they scored in the red zone, it was a blow out. Otherwise, they played Geno, Mills, Jimmy G and Matt Ryan's corpse.

Sutton/Jeudy are solid but people acted like they were future All-Pro players, Metcalf/Lockett are significantly better. Losing Javonte Williams and Tim Patrick definitely didn't help their cause but to me Russ looks like he's still bothered by his finger injury from last season.

I agree on the mobility, he's averaging like 15 rushing yards per game so far this year, about half of what he averaged in Seattle.

I agree that they're overrated but outside of their game against us their defense put them in a great spot to win every other game. Their offense just literally couldn't produce.  

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Hmmmmmm sounds like excuses 🤣

even though I agree they are logical points.

🤣

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

1. I'd say they were a QB away from being one. Fangio and a real QB probably has this team rolling. Now, though, they're a HC, a QB, and about 3 solid years of assets away from it. 

2. For the same reason we had fools like BayRaider wanting to ship out whatever necessary for Wilson. They ignored history and context at all costs, bought the hype of a fantasy football fan favorite QB, assumed whatever context can't be avoided would be shot down because they have no earthly idea how to actually scout QBs with any understanding beyond a stat sheet and an over-reliance on this weird idea they like to call "tools" while refusing to recognize that real life is not a videogame and playing QB has a lot more involved than just running fast and throwing perfect dimes on cue. Age, injury history, whether they were carried by a Defense or run game, those things.... actually matter. Whodathunkit? Well, there's those of us who did and wouldn't have gotten fleeced. Then there's those who don't, and would give up the house for a shiny QB toy without any contextual regard, and then would've signed him to a big extension before going radio silent on the matter when the pie starts to fly. 

Now, just waiting for Trey Lance and Malik Willis to prove they are elite level QBs to be feared for the next decade.....

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

1. I'd say they were a QB away from being one. Fangio and a real QB probably has this team rolling. Now, though, they're a HC, a QB, and about 3 solid years of assets away from it. 

2. For the same reason we had fools like BayRaider wanting to ship out whatever necessary for Wilson. They ignored history and context at all costs, bought the hype of a fantasy football fan favorite QB, assumed whatever context can't be avoided would be shot down because they have no earthly idea how to actually scout QBs with any understanding beyond a stat sheet and an over-reliance on this weird idea they like to call "tools" while refusing to recognize that real life is not a videogame and playing QB has a lot more involved than just running fast and throwing perfect dimes on cue. Age, injury history, whether they were carried by a Defense or run game, those things.... actually matter. Whodathunkit? Well, there's those of us who did and wouldn't have gotten fleeced. Then there's those who don't, and would give up the house for a shiny QB toy without any contextual regard, and then would've signed him to a big extension before going radio silent on the matter when the pie starts to fly. 

Now, just waiting for Trey Lance and Malik Willis to prove they are elite level QBs to be feared for the next decade.....

Outside of Wilson what other QB could they have realistically acquired?