Rolni

Raiders Defense

On 5/16/2018 at 9:42 AM, big_palooka said:

I hate this line of thinking. "Get a pass" that is loser talk.  If you're talented, you'll stand out. Mack was still among the best defensive players in football, he doesn't need a pass for last season. Jospeh was overdrafted. He had physical limitations. Everyone wanted to look at him like Bob Sanders (who was a 2nd round pick, right where Joseph should have been). If they wanted a safety, it should have been Neal. 

Talent rises to the top regardless of coaching IMO. Coaching can bring average guys up from game to game. Motivate them in stretches, etc. But if you're a true talent, you'll shine in any situation. Best we can hope is scheme and coaching brings guys like Joseph from average to slightly above average for the majority of games. 

That’s half right, with front  7  it’s easier for cream to rises to the top But in the  secondary if you’re in the wrong defense there’s not much you can do about it.   There is to much space to cover and to little time you’ll be chasing after receivers all day long.

Posted (edited)

Pagano made this defense look respectable and I think that Guenther may do more than that. Both night and day from KNJ. Also seeing good things said about Fadol Brown and Worley. We need guys to step up this year and I'm hoping one of the young LB's emerges as well (Morrow I'm looking at you). Would like Bowman back in the fray as well.

Edited by MrOaktown_56

23 hours ago, Rolni said:

It seems like we have a competent DC after all these years fellas!

Guenther was the Bengals defensive coordinator the last four seasons, and takes over a Raiders defense that has been bad for a long time. Since the team was in the Super Bowl after the 2002 season, defensive coordinators Chuck Bresnahan, Rob Ryan, John Marshall, Bresnahan again, Jason Tarver, Ken Norton Jr. and John Pagano have never had the team in the top half of the league in scoring defense. 

Man, what a set of guys.  Who was the worst? I'd go either KNJ or Bresnahan.

9 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Bresnahan in 2011. Iirc, his D was historically bad.

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

Bresnahan in 2011. Iirc, his D was historically bad.

That was my thought too. But the first half of both last seasons were also historically bad with KNJ too.

12 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

In his defense Pagano's D gave up 21 points a game once he took over which would have ranked 15th.  I think with an off-season to get the D ready would could have been top ten this year.  I am going to pull for Guenther to do good but wish we would have given Pagano a shot.

PFF made a DL/pass rush ranking: https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-pass-rush-rankings-all-32-teams-entering-2018

We are on the 13th spot on this list, but there are some questions from me regarding the line up...

They think we will have it like this:

ED: Mack
DI: Hurst
DI: Edwards
ED: Irvin
Key rotational guys: Ellis, Vanderdoes, Key

As I saw the list, they talk about starting line ups and not nickel line ups. So the first issue I have is that we will have Ellis in as NT in the starting line up IMO.

I'm really not sure about Edwards future here with all the late buzz around him and how he regarded among the new staff. With Hurst, Hall, Hester, Eddie, Tank he could end up on the trade block or even could be cut IMO. He could very easily grab the starting 3 tech spot in front if the rookies too, but he is a big question mark IMO.

Just like Eddie, how could easily start the season on PUP IMO. His injury occured late in the season and he hurt that knee before, so his recovery might last into the season. Not sure how active and effective he can be in 2018.

Hall and mybe even Hester on the other hand could be key contributors IMO.