Raiders Defense

Rolni

1 hour ago, OnlyGlove said:

No secret I wanted AJ Terrell, even at our first pick.  Get a WR later, back up was Jaylon Johnson.

If we was going to run Cover 3 then Diggs at 19 would've been perfect. 

I was personally hoping that CJ Henderson would fall and we'd take him at #12 and then go WR at #19.

I'm reading through several threads here and it seems like the general consensus is that Treyvon Mullen had a pretty bad year last year and I'm sorry but I don't agree with that at all. 

Early in the season I thought he played really well, good sticky coverage, going step for step with some good receivers and pretty good tackling. What I did see as the season wore on was him being played quite a bit more in soft zone coverages and off coverage (possibly to mitigate the lack of pass rush).

Are guys just looking at his stats on catches given up and stuff or are we actually watching the games as the games I've rewatched he's played pretty well given the circumstances IMO.

Again, we do have to remember he was at times playing coverages that really are not his forte, he had very little pass rush help in front of him and he was playing with the supporting cast of one safety out of his depth and the other just playing irrespective of assignment at times it seemed. I really don't see a regression at all from Mullen and in particular early in the year I thought he was stellar. A big deal was made of Ron Milus' addition as DB guru and his reputation and Gus Bradley's resume when it comes to DBs and I'm very hopeful that Mullen will take a step next year.

Anyone else think he is being very harshly judged it seems??

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I'm reading through several threads here and it seems like the general consensus is that Treyvon Mullen had a pretty bad year last year and I'm sorry but I don't agree with that at all. 

Early in the season I thought he played really well, good sticky coverage, going step for step with some good receivers and pretty good tackling. What I did see as the season wore on was him being played quite a bit more in soft zone coverages and off coverage (possibly to mitigate the lack of pass rush).

Are guys just looking at his stats on catches given up and stuff or are we actually watching the games as the games I've rewatched he's played pretty well given the circumstances IMO.

Again, we do have to remember he was at times playing coverages that really are not his forte, he had very little pass rush help in front of him and he was playing with the supporting cast of one safety out of his depth and the other just playing irrespective of assignment at times it seemed. I really don't see a regression at all from Mullen and in particular early in the year I thought he was stellar. A big deal was made of Ron Milus' addition as DB guru and his reputation and Gus Bradley's resume when it comes to DBs and I'm very hopeful that Mullen will take a step next year.

I like Mullen and very hopeful he will be a good player going forward. Early in the year he was playing well, no doubt he dropped off though. Given what was in front of and beside him it’s not surprising but there’s no dressing it up, his play fell off as the year went on. 

Re: Mullen - he just had that one really tricky game where he got burned a lot. Can’t quite remember which one. I think that knocked him a bit - but I agree @Darbsk, it was still a good season and I am very confident that he will be a highly competent starter for us for a long time.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

All the corners looked worse because of the pass rush last year. Lawson actually wasn't bad and would have looked better with a rush. Ditto for Mullen, who has the talent to stay with anyone. I'm also not giving up on Arnette/Johnson/Amik for that reason either. 

• Like 1

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

All the corners looked worse because of the pass rush last year. Lawson actually wasn't bad and would have looked better with a rush. Ditto for Mullen, who has the talent to stay with anyone. I'm also not giving up on Arnette/Johnson/Amik for that reason either. 

Exactly, I wasn't a huge fan of Arnette in the draft to say the least but I think it would only be fair to see how they all perform with some semblance of pass rush, with a competent DC and in a system that should be simpler to learn and execute.

29 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Exactly, I wasn't a huge fan of Arnette in the draft to say the least but I think it would only be fair to see how they all perform with some semblance of pass rush, with a competent DC and in a system that should be simpler to learn and execute.

You also have to consider that basically every CB drafted in the 1st/2nd struggled last season.

37 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Guenther's defense was also pretty weird. We drafted guys who excelled in press man coverage and IIRC we hardly ever used press man coverage last season.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lester said:

What is this love for MLBer Kwit...what did he do???..his tackles for the most part were 5 yards down field...from what saw and my friends Nichlas Morrow ( even Pro Football Focus graded him as the best on the team

He's overrated by fans because he was average in comparison with the rest of the FA signings on D that were total flops.

He's an average MLB, which is fine. But sucks because it prevents the team from addressing the position with some legit talent of which there are a couple guys in the draft that could really impact them.

You look at Bradley's scheme, he's always had LBs that can run and cover. 

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

He's overrated by fans because he was average in comparison with the rest of the FA signings on D that were total flops.

He's an average MLB, which is fine. But sucks because it prevents the team from addressing the position with some legit talent of which there are a couple guys in the draft that could really impact them.

You look at Bradley's scheme, he's always had LBs that can run and cover. 

I'll argue that if Parsons is there (unlikely) he'll be the pick need be damned. 

• Like 1