Raiders Defense

Rolni

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Kolton Miller was absolutely terrible as a rookie but has developed into a good player for us so I don't think all hope is lost with Leatherwood. But we're in a win now situation or Mayock is likely gone and who knows what the future holds for Carr or Gruden so we don't really have a ton of time to wait it out. 

Funny enough Leatherwood shares a lot of similarities with another Alabama OT that Cable pounded the table for in the 1st round in James Carpenter. Carpenter (6'5" 320, 34" arms) played LT at Alabama and the Seahawks drafted him in the 1st round to play RT when most had him graded as a 2nd/3rd round prospect. He started like half of his rookie season at RT before moving inside to LG. Leatherwood (6'5" 315, 34" arms) played LT at Alabama, was drafted in the 1st round to play RT when most had him projected as a 2nd/3rd round prospect, and he is now moving inside to OG. 

I think the difference between Miller and Leatherwood, for me at least, is the "raw potential" aspect. 

Don't get me wrong, virtually no prospect is a finished product coming out. Miller, though, played at a garbage program but had a ton of tools. Leatherwood played at a powerhouse but didn't improve much and had a good deal of his deficiencies masked. 

I figured Miller would need time. Every rookie does. But man, Leatherwood just feels sooooo far behind the 8 ball. He's still having the same issues he had at Alabama years back. Issues that never got corrected despite some exemplary coaching. 

I know it's not so simplistic, but my gut said we needed a RT and Mayock/Gruden/Cable simply said "Who from the playoffs has a starting OT in the draft" and left it at that. Height, weight, played at Bama. 

Idk. I guess I can forgive a guy coming from a lesser program needing more work and time quicker than I can a guy who showed little progress at a top tier school. I was hardly optimistic about Miller in the first place, and feel even less so with Leatherwood. Just seems like we're stuck hoping lightning literally strikes twice. 

21 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I think the difference between Miller and Leatherwood, for me at least, is the "raw potential" aspect. 

Don't get me wrong, virtually no prospect is a finished product coming out. Miller, though, played at a garbage program but had a ton of tools. Leatherwood played at a powerhouse but didn't improve much and had a good deal of his deficiencies masked. 

I figured Miller would need time. Every rookie does. But man, Leatherwood just feels sooooo far behind the 8 ball. He's still having the same issues he had at Alabama years back. Issues that never got corrected despite some exemplary coaching. 

I know it's not so simplistic, but my gut said we needed a RT and Mayock/Gruden/Cable simply said "Who from the playoffs has a starting OT in the draft" and left it at that. Height, weight, played at Bama. 

Idk. I guess I can forgive a guy coming from a lesser program needing more work and time quicker than I can a guy who showed little progress at a top tier school. I was hardly optimistic about Miller in the first place, and feel even less so with Leatherwood. Just seems like we're stuck hoping lightning literally strikes twice. 

I personally still think it's kind of the same situation

13 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I loved Spencer Brown during the pre-draft process, from a physical stand point he's basically a more athletic Kolton Miller. Would've preferred to have signed a stop gap RT and taken Brown later in the draft but Grudock believed in Leatherwood. 

I wish thinking about it and if I was pulling the strings oline would be

lt-Isaiah Wynn 

lg- Allen from rams

c- Humphrey from kc

rg- Lewis from sea

rt- Spencer brown 

with Bruce Campbell as a swing ot Lolol 

49 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I want to point out that if he balls out, I don't really care what happens with Arnette(and no I don't care that he's 5'8)

The dude on the Rams play opposite Ramsey is a similar size plays well. Talent it talent at the end of the day. Hope he does well with his chance. I like his attitude. 

7 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

The dude on the Rams play opposite Ramsey is a similar size plays well. Talent it talent at the end of the day. Hope he does well with his chance. I like his attitude. 

If Monday was any indication, the guy can play. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how this plays out. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Amik is a baller, you can't teach instincts, in college (3 years) he had 184 tackles, 24 TFL, 14 INT, and 34 PD.

49 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I wish thinking about it and if I was pulling the strings oline would be

lt-Isaiah Wynn 

lg- Allen from rams

c- Humphrey from kc

rg- Lewis from sea

rt- Spencer brown 

with Bruce Campbell as a swing ot Lolol 

We should've drafted Orlando Brown Jr in the 3rd round instead of Brandon Parker. Brown was a multi-time All-American at a major program but we went with the D3 project instead. I liked Trey Smith and Spencer Brown a lot during the draft process last year and both are balling out as rookies. They should hire us as co-GM.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We should've drafted Orlando Brown Jr in the 3rd round instead of Brandon Parker. Brown was a multi-time All-American at a major program but we went with the D3 project instead. I liked Trey Smith and Spencer Brown a lot during the draft process last year and both are balling out as rookies. They should hire us as co-GM.

I was an Orlando brown guy until the combine but I def learned my lesson 

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Amik is a baller, you can't teach instincts, in college (3 years) he had 184 tackles, 24 TFL, 14 INT, and 34 PD.

listen I've always liked that guy(I actually praying that year that we would draft him.

All of that said I didn't think he was going to look that good especially against Mike Williams. That honestly answered all of my concerns about him. If you can go up against my Williams you can go up against anybody on the outside with height. To me he have first round talent with no height. 

I have no problem with him playing over Arnette(and I actually like Arnette)

Edited by Jeremy408

Just now, Jeremy408 said:

listen I've always liked that guy(I actually praying that year that we would draft him.

All of that said I didn't think he was going to look that good especially against Mike Williams. That honestly answered all of my concerns about him. If you can go up against my Williams you can go up against anybody on the outside with height. To me he have first round talent with no height. 

I have no problem with him playing over Arnette. 

Arnette shouldn't ever be in the game unless it's special teams. Dude can't tackle, has t-rex arms, and runs a 4.6.