Raiders Defense

Rolni

The thing I will be looking at really hard with Pagano is whether he can prepare a good gameplan or not.

This will be the first game under him, where we need a good gameplan. Alex Smith is a good and quick decision maker, he can punish us if we are not prepared.

There are 3 main weapons in KC's offense: Hunt, Kelce and Hill.

Hunt and the running game slowed down a bit recently and we did mostly a solid job containing him in the first game. We really need to controll him from the start in this game. Their OL is not a dominant one, so Mack and Co. should have a chance to keep their running game in check.

Kelce is one of the best TE in the NFL and Andy Reid is a great offensive mind, so I'm not sure we can limit Kelce once more with those Irvin jams, but we have to try. I would really like to see Obi Melifonwu on Kelce all day and I would like to see our WLB's helping him. Chip him and double him all day!

Hill is a speed demon and even Carrie will need help over the top IMO. I would like Carrie on him all day and Joseph over the top with constant help.

I know we would use 4 guy on these 2 offensive weapons, but I just don't want to see another game where the opponents known weapon destroys us, while we do nothing about it.

Wilson, Conley, Thomas will be able to make some big plays if we focus on the Kelce-Hill duo, but I would take that. Let McDonald, Smith, Amerson (if he is a go) battle with them and work for their money and future (especially the two well paid guy), while we scheme against their top weapons.

This is what I want to see from Pagano. Come out with a plan and limit their stars. 

4 hours ago, Rolni said:

The thing I will be looking at really hard with Pagano is whether he can prepare a good gameplan or not.

This will be the first game under him, where we need a good gameplan. Alex Smith is a good and quick decision maker, he can punish us if we are not prepared.

Hunt and the running game slowed down a bit recently and we did mostly a solid job containing him in the first game. We really need to controll him from the start in this game. Their OL is not a dominant one, so Mack and Co. should have a chance to keep their running game in check.

Kelce is one of the best TE in the NFL and Andy Reid is a great offensive mind, so I'm not sure we can limit Kelce once more with those Irvin jams, but we have to try. I would really like to see Obi Melifonwu on Kelce all day and I would like to see our WLB's helping him. Chip him and double him all day!

Hill is a speed demon and even Carrie will need help over the top IMO. I would like Carrie on him all day and Joseph over the top with constant help.

I know we would use 4 guy on these 2 offensive weapons, but I just don't want to see another game where the opponents known weapon destroys us, while we do nothing about it.

Wilson, Conley, Thomas will be able to make some big plays if we focus on the Kelce-Hill duo, but I would take that. Let McDonald, Smith, Amerson (if he is a go) battle with them and work for their money and future (especially the two well paid guy), while we scheme against their top weapons.

This is what I want to see from Pagano. Come out with a plan and limit their stars. 

And Andy Reid is thinking of counters for this right now...jk

5 hours ago, Rolni said:

Obi hasn’t really played since the Patriots game. He’s been mostly on special teams which is fairly alarming considering Nelson can’t cover. I’m not sure helll play much this game either. 

6 hours ago, Rolni said:

I'd like to see a little more 3-4 in our lineups to be able to mix up the pass rush, when we did that against the Giants it really exposed Geno's game awareness as he didn't seem to know where the rushers were coming from. Though Alex Smith is a much better QB than Geno I feel we need to do something to try and make him uncomfortable and think on the fly rather than just pick us apart. Irvin and Mack were both very effective rushing from standing and it allows us to blitz Jospeh and Bowman too who are both very good blitzers. I feel if we sit back and play conservative we'll give Smith rhythm and allow him to get in his comfort zone. I'd take the chance that we'll get burned once or twice as it's likely to happen anyway with Kelce and Hill. 

2 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:
3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I'd take the chance that we'll get burned once or twice as it's likely to happen anyway with Kelce and Hill. 

Just remember you said that when it's happening.

I don't necessarily disagree either.

:D  Haha, yes it's very easy to say when the game isn't on the line!!!

9 hours ago, Chali21 said:

Obi hasn’t really played since the Patriots game. He’s been mostly on special teams which is fairly alarming considering Nelson can’t cover. I’m not sure helll play much this game either. 

I think that has more to do with how well rookie DBs play when they miss camp and large chunks of their rookie year.  Conley looked like he had the talent to have a smooth transition even though he missed time but Obi really needed to be healthy all year to make an impact.  Our secondary will have some growing pains next year but overall will be much improved if those two come back ready to go at the beginning of the year.

18 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I'd like to see a little more 3-4 in our lineups to be able to mix up the pass rush, when we did that against the Giants it really exposed Geno's game awareness as he didn't seem to know where the rushers were coming from. Though Alex Smith is a much better QB than Geno I feel we need to do something to try and make him uncomfortable and think on the fly rather than just pick us apart. Irvin and Mack were both very effective rushing from standing and it allows us to blitz Jospeh and Bowman too who are both very good blitzers. I feel if we sit back and play conservative we'll give Smith rhythm and allow him to get in his comfort zone. I'd take the chance that we'll get burned once or twice as it's likely to happen anyway with Kelce and Hill. 

I'm with you!

Mix up the pass rush and rattle Alex...and at the same time double those weapons :D

18 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Running a full 3-4 has a lot to do with what the offense is doing. Sometimes the defense needs to be in nickel because of what the offense is showing and/or down and distance. Mack and Irvin can still (and often do) rush from a 2-point stance in nickel.

9 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Running a full 3-4 has a lot to do with what the offense is doing. Sometimes the defense needs to be in nickel because of what the offense is showing and/or down and distance. Mack and Irvin can still (and often do) rush from a 2-point stance in nickel.

Oh I agree, and we did see that against the Giants. Maybe it was just me but when we did use a base 3-4 in that game we seemed to be very effective and Geno didn't seem to know who was attacking from where - we dropped Mack in coverage a couple times which, while we wouldn't want to do it too often, really causes confusion. Whilst it's probably not realistic to expect a change in philosophy 2/3 of the way through the year we have been running it sparingly and it may be the extra confusion we need against a good offence. You think it could be a base D if Pagano is kept on next season?

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Oh I agree, and we did see that against the Giants. Maybe it was just me but when we did use a base 3-4 in that game we seemed to be very effective and Geno didn't seem to know who was attacking from where - we dropped Mack in coverage a couple times which, while we wouldn't want to do it too often, really causes confusion. Whilst it's probably not realistic to expect a change in philosophy 2/3 of the way through the year we have been running it sparingly and it may be the extra confusion we need against a good offence. You think it could be a base D if Pagano is kept on next season?

I do believe the 3-4 base will be kept if Pagano returns. I'd say the Raiders have been more often a 3-4 base since JDR joined the team. 

14 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I think that has more to do with how well rookie DBs play when they miss camp and large chunks of their rookie year.  Conley looked like he had the talent to have a smooth transition even though he missed time but Obi really needed to be healthy all year to make an impact.  Our secondary will have some growing pains next year but overall will be much improved if those two come back ready to go at the beginning of the year.

I agree but the OP was talking about playing him on Kelce against KC, that might happen next year but it isn't happening on sunday.

7 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

I agree but the OP was talking about playing him on Kelce against KC, that might happen next year but it isn't happening on sunday.

Kelce will eat his lunch if we play Obi on him this Sunday.  At least I have Kelce on my fantasy team.

On 11/24/2017 at 11:56 AM, Humble_Beast said:

this team lacks talent at corner, should take a shot on Jalen Collins.. actually historical bad DB play....

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/jalen-collins?id=2552573

Good size, and is young at 24 former 2nd round pick.. Best case we land a starting Corner, worst case he screws up again and just cut him.. plenty of guys who don't deserve to be in the nfl we could cut:

mcgill, mcdonald, erik harris