Raiders Defense

Rolni

9 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Mack on stunts and better disguised blitzes.

I'm not crazy about stunting Mack. It may be anecdotal evidence (it is), but every time I see Mack stunt the line ends up getting no pressure on that side. I dislike stunts in general.

I'd like the team return to running more man coverage. I actually advocated to a switch to primarily zone looks at the beginning of the year, but that hasn't worked out. The team isn't getting interceptions either way but more disruption at the line would help the pass rush more.

2 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I'm not crazy about stunting Mack. It may be anecdotal evidence (it is), but every time I see Mack stunt the line ends up getting no pressure on that side. I dislike stunts in general.

I'd like the team return to running more man coverage. I actually advocated to a switch to primarily zone looks at the beginning of the year, but that hasn't worked out. The team isn't getting interceptions either way but more disruption at the line would help the pass rush more.

Problem is with running man is it leaves our turtle dBs on an island against guys who run 4.4. Realistically there’s not much they can do on defense until they get healthier. 

1 hour ago, Chali21 said:

Problem is with running man is it leaves our turtle dBs on an island against guys who run 4.4. Realistically there’s not much they can do on defense until they get healthier. 

Oh I totally get the consequences moving away from zone, but I still think it's possible while running 2-high. Bench Nelson outright and put Obi/Luani and Joseph overtop. Smith and McDonald playing outside and Carrie playing the slot.

I'm in the process of watching the game vs. Miami and I thought the gameplan was appropriately diverse. There was a healthy mix of man and zone and Norton even had Mack playing DT on at least one occasion. I'd go as far to say that KNJ had a sound gameplan against Miami (so far from what I've seen) but the players really aren't there.

5 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Oh I totally get the consequences moving away from zone, but I still think it's possible while running 2-high. Bench Nelson outright and put Obi/Luani and Joseph overtop. Smith and McDonald playing outside and Carrie playing the slot.

And to help assuage Chali's concerns: Only thing is we'd need to shade a safety over to help Smith sometimes.  Which is expected.  As long as Luani and Obi react well, they definitely have the range to help.  Which is Nelson's main problem, range is just gone. 

Just watched the all 22. Luani played fs in the 1st qaurter replacing Nelson, and ss in the 3rd replacing Joseph. Very interesting to see them working him in I'm sure Obi will get a long look too down the stretch.

I really like how Pagano protected Mack from getting double and triple teamed with stunts and bluff rushers, this is what Mack should be at this point, a facilitator of sacks since teams won't allow him to dominate games unless they have to.

Overall the defense is still in a work in progress and it should be better if we get a healthy Amerson this week

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nodisrespect said:

Just watched the all 22. Luani played fs in the 1st qaurter replacing Nelson, and ss in the 3rd replacing Joseph. Very interesting to see them working him in I'm sure Obi will get a long look too down the stretch.

I really like how Pagano protected Mack from getting double and triple teamed with stunts and bluff rushers, this is what Mack should be at this point, a facilitator of sacks since teams won't allow him to dominate games unless they have to.

Overall the defense is still in a work in progress and it should be better if we get a healthy Amerson this week

I've read Pagano really like Luani, so that would seem fitting.

13 hours ago, Nodisrespect said:

You inspired me to watch the All 22 too. Luani was in for both Nelson and Joseph throughout. I think it may have been to keep both Nelson and Joseph fresher throughout the game. Obi only got a couple snaps in dime but I hope to see him more as the season progresses.

I didn't think Mack moved around markedly more than he did in other weeks. He's stunted before and he's lined up at DT more. It may have just been to exploit the weakness along the Bronco offensive line. I was more intrigued by some really exotic looking 3rd and long stuff. None of it worked but it was interesting nonetheless. James Cowser seemed to get more work than he normally does, too.

Offensively, this may have been the most outside zone heavy game I've seen the Raiders play. I really think an elite talent at running back would have added 7-14 points to the Raiders scoreboard. I thought the team blocked well but Lynch wasn't hitting the cutbacks hard enough and mostly going down on first contact.