Michael Thomas vs Tyreek Hill

Chiefer

Which is better?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

• Tyreek Hill
    • Michael Thomas

If I was a QB I'd prefer to have Thomas. He's a big physical receiver that can get up and make catches in traffic. Thomas is a great security blanket for this reason, much like Kelce is for KC. Hill is a speedy receiver, very dangerous in the open field, but relies more on big plays rather than being a possession receiver like Thomas.

If I'm an NFL corner, Tyreek is probably one of the last guys I want to cover. 

He’s grown from being a electric gadget player and deep threat, to a refined receiver who can skillfully run a full route tree. He really blossomed to understand the intracacies of the position. I’m super impressed everytime i watch him.

He’s knocking on that elite door right now more than anyone. 

Tyreek Hill for 2 reasons:

1. I hate 99% of the Saints fans on this board.

2. Because Hill is an explosion waiting to happen. Nobody can do what he can do.

Michael Thomas provides much more consistency and has the ability to run a full route tree with ease, but he doesn't strike FEAR into the hearts of DB's the way Tyreek Hill does. Hill is one of the best gadget players of all time and a pretty good straight up WR too.

Hill for me. Though there isn't a huge gap. If I had to guess, I think I have Hill as the 5th best in the NFL, Thomas is somewhere in 6 to 8. Hill's YAC, deep ability, and his threat as a gadget make the difference, for me. Thomas is a better route runner, though the speed and agility can make up for some of that anyway. But also Hill has just gotten a lot better in the intangible areas than some realize. His hands, his route running, and even his catch radius (despite his size) have become plus attributes for him. With the improvements he made this year, I think the gaps in physical ability (and the effect that has on the things I mentioned like YAC, deep balls, etc.) is greater than the gaps in refined attributes like route running that Thomas might be better at.

10 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Really can’t go wrong with either. This really comes down to personal preference in WRs. Both are top 7 WRs currently.

Yeah.  I think it mostly comes down to a preference/philosophy type question between these two.

Hill is an absolutely terrifying weapon who can beat you and generate explosive plays in so many different ways.  He's probably the most unique player in the league in that respect.  But philosophically, it's still a little bit more the sort of thing you're "setting up" (and using as a distraction).  Whereas Thomas is more of the line up and beat 'em straight on type.  Doesn't have that same dynamic ability, but if your goal is to just line up and move the chains time after time...he's your guy.  Especially if you want a guy who is going to be that security blanket for the QB who can mask some less than ideal throws/decisions.

If you've got the right QB and i'm getting a mind like Andy Reid along with Tyreek Hill, i'm taking that for sure.  But if not, i tend to just lean toward the more humdrum "pedestrian" Michael Thomas types as a whole.  Aren't many OCs out there who aren't going to understand how to get Thomas involved in a big way.  The list of guys who i think could use a truly unique weapon like Hill to the amazing effect the Chiefs do...is shorter.

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

Hill for me. Though there isn't a huge gap. If I had to guess, I think I have Hill as the 5th best in the NFL, Thomas is somewhere in 6 to 8. Hill's YAC, deep ability, and his threat as a gadget make the difference, for me. Thomas is a better route runner, though the speed and agility can make up for some of that anyway. But also Hill has just gotten a lot better in the intangible areas than some realize. His hands, his route running, and even his catch radius (despite his size) have become plus attributes for him. With the improvements he made this year, I think the gaps in physical ability (and the effect that has on the things I mentioned like YAC, deep balls, etc.) is greater than the gaps in refined attributes like route running that Thomas might be better at.

Not going to lie. When it seemed like most people were already anointing him as one of the next best things at WR, I was looking at them like they crazy because all I saw was a glorified version of Desean Jackson. Needless to say, I was wrong in my assessment so far and the progression that you talked about has alot to do with it.  You can tell that he has worked his butt off to become a complete player and is still growing. He can just do so much more now that it's crazy to see how far he has come in such a short amount of time.

He went from only being a one trick pony with a quick step (from my POV at the time) to a player who can do it all at every level on the field, and do it against some of the best corners in the league regardless who was throwing to him. And most importantly, he can do it consistently.

He can play as a "diversion", be used in the backfield (critical in a heavy RPO system), make plays in the slot, can make plays in traffic, can play the short routes (especially since he gets so cushion from most corners because of his speed) and ofcourse is always a threat to go deep. 

What's even more impressive about Hill's progression is that he has done it while playing in a division where he has to play against the likes of both Casey Hayward AND Chris Harris twice a year. That's a tough task.

To answer the OP, Hill.

Thomas benefits alot from his QB and the Payton system he plays in. At this point, I'm convinced that even myself at my age could rack up 500 yards. It just seems odd that over the years we have seen players such as Cooks and Colston have the same amount of success as Thomas has. And also lets face it the NFC South is not exactly filled with great defenses.

Archived