Super Bowl LIII: Rams vs. Patriots - Poll Added!

DigInBoys

Super Bowl LIII  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Super Bowl?

• Rams
    • Patriots

In order to beat Tom Brady and BB on the biggest stage, you have to have the guts to throw all caution to the wind and do whatever it takes to win. On Sunday, I peered into the soul of Sean McVay on that 4th and inches with Todd Gurley in the backfield and watched him kick a field goal, and I know he doesn't have the stones to do what it takes to beat Tom and BB in two weeks. Analyze all you want, but the game will come down to just that. 

2 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

In order to beat Tom Brady and BB on the biggest stage, you have to have the guts to throw all caution to the wind and do whatever it takes to win. On Sunday, I peered into the soul of Sean McVay on that 4th and inches with Todd Gurley in the backfield and watched him kick a field goal, and I know he doesn't have the stones to do what it takes to beat Tom and BB in two weeks. Analyze all you want, but the game will come down to just that. 

I mean, McVay made the right decision to kick the FG, so you're wrong.  But whatever makes you feel better.

9 minutes ago, showtime said:

I mean, McVay made the right decision to kick the FG, so you're wrong.  But whatever makes you feel better.

Don’t let the result fool you. If McVay has guts he ends that thing right then right there and it never gets to OT. If the Saints get that PI call and Rams lose, was it still the right call? 

Anyone complaining about the no call on the Rams needs to stop. No calls happened. The Rams still need to drive for the field goal. They still needed to get the INT. The Saints had chances to put it away. Sorry things happen in a close game. The Rams are a great team and deserve to be here as much as anybody. I'm not taking anything for granted with them. They were one of the best teams all season. 

13 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Like run a fake punt down 13-0 deep in your territory in the 2nd Quarter?

43 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

We have John Parry calling the game. We're gucci.

Totally.  I've changed my mind on the outcome. You guys prevailed against the Vinovich gang (AKA the Ball-Breakers) that "had it in for you guys" and now you get your inside guy dealing the deck.  Easy lay-up.  Even though I'm rooting for my Patriots (Skip Bayless trademark), I'll concede that the Rams should win by 14+ in a walk away slam dunk/cue the curtains game.  Hopefully, I'm wrong and 'the Beli' can concoct the most awe-inspiring game plan ever.

GO PATS!

Just now, jrry32 said:

Like run a fake punt down 13-0 deep in your territory in the 2nd Quarter?

That is easier to do when you have 2 and a half quarters to make up lost ground. But if he makes that call with the game on the line against NE- they lose. McVay better bring his big boy coaching pants otherwise Rams are going down. 

Re: McVay's playcalling, this is probably a better piece of info than just 1 game...

I'm not going to read much into 6/14 vs. 67 percent as a lock - but I would agree with the sentiment that we're going to see more aggressive play calling on "iffy" situations by McVay if LAR wants to win.   You don't beat BB & Brady by playing it safe, you have to play smart, but you have to go for the W, and not to avoid losing.   We'll see what happens in 13 days.

One other X-factor in this matchup - DC Wade Phillips gets to face BB/Brady again.  If there's one guy who's had success, it's Phillips.  Of course, he had a great D facing them and a lot of games @ DEN, but it's pretty clear Phillips understood you needed inside pressure, and man coverage, to beat that O.   They don't have nearly the same kind of edge pressure, and the safeties/LB's can be beat more than DEN's elite 2015 SB winning D, but the CB's and inside pressure do have the ingredients.  Should be a great chess match (unless Wade reverts to off-coverage like he sometimes does, Brady will carve that up).    Phillips was a coaching MVP in 2015, we'll see if he can work with a less complete LAR D to get similar results in containing the O.

26 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Re: McVay's playcalling, this is probably a better piece of info than just 1 game...

I'm not going to read much into 6/14 vs. 67 percent as a lock - but I would agree with the sentiment that we're going to see more aggressive play calling on "iffy" situations by McVay if LAR wants to win.   You don't beat BB & Brady by playing it safe, you have to play smart, but you have to go for the W, and not to avoid losing.   We'll see what happens in 13 days.

One other X-factor in this matchup - DC Wade Phillips gets to face BB/Brady again.  If there's one guy who's had success, it's Phillips.  Of course, he had a great D facing them and a lot of games @ DEN, but it's pretty clear Phillips understood you needed inside pressure, and man coverage, to beat that O.   They don't have nearly the same kind of edge pressure, and the safeties/LB's can be beat more than DEN's elite 2015 SB winning D, but the CB's and inside pressure do have the ingredients.  Should be a great chess match (unless Wade reverts to off-coverage like he sometimes does, Brady will carve that up).    Phillips was a coaching MVP in 2015, we'll see if he can work with a less complete LAR D to get similar results in containing the O.

Gotta keep in mind that the Rams are in a different situation than most teams. We have one of the league's best long-distance Kickers and the league's best Punter. For example, I think a lot of teams wouldn't have taken the 57-yard FG in OT, but we had no issue making that call because of Zuerlein.

9 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Gotta keep in mind that the Rams are in a different situation than most teams. We have one of the league's best long-distance Kickers and the league's best Punter. For example, I think a lot of teams wouldn't have taken the 57-yard FG in OT, but we had no issue making that call because of Zuerlein.

Yeah like I said b4, I’m not going to get too fussed about the season.   Those are good reasons to be generally safer.  

Just in the big games that’s not a strategy that will usually win games vs. BB/Brady or other equal talent (or better) teams.  If LAR lost the decision on 4th and goal would have been the focus.     McVay just needs to recognize decision making that’s safe likely doesn’t cut it in ATL. 

6 hours ago, showtime said:

The game plan the Rams had against Michael Thomas needs to be considered for Julian Edleman.  I'm not sure how you stop Gronk because you just can't on those 1v1 jump balls.  The problem is, unlike the Saints offense that drives on just two players, the Pats will kill you with someone like James White or someone like that. 

I could see us playing man to man on them. Talib can take Gronk and then we can double Edelman. Playing zone against Brady is a death wish.

I think we match up pretty well if we can continue to play great run defense.

Archived