OT Bobby Massie signs 4 year extension

WindyCity

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

$8M per, per Rapoport. No word on guaranteed money yet

Purely depends on what the 4 years structure is and guarantees...if we are looking at $32 million over 4 years but all the guarantees are in year 1 & 2 this is decent value compared to some of the FA deals we have seen on the open market over the years...

One thing is for sure Kyle Long is either gone this year or next since we have to lock up Whitehair long term...

Got to think they will look to given Mack the bonus to free up cap space and make a real run next year.

1 hour ago, malagabears said:

Dunno, that is high. He got beat a few times by edge rushers. I remember Fowler getting around him but can't remember if it led to a sack.

He supposedly is getting over 8M, which is a little more than I expected (4/32). By my expectations were based more on his history than it was this season and the last. 

14 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

He supposedly is getting over 8M, which is a little more than I expected (4/32). By my expectations were based more on his history than it was this season and the last. 

5th highest RT AAV per spotrac.

Massie to me isn't worth $8 per year but structure can make this much better than it seems, but he is being overpaid regardless IMO. To me this means they aren't sold on Coward yet, he may still need a fair bit of work before challenging for a starting role.

Seeing this makes me think other FA OTs like  Smith, James and Williams are going to get a spike in pay too. Maybe the market of RTs is just taking another jump, IDK. Interesting numbers to see though.

Thats a lot of coin per year average for Massie but he probably would have got the same if not more on the FA market  which isn't very good this year. This also mean Coward was not a realistic option to start in 2019. Don't hate the move. 

It seems like a little bit of a overpay. I thought coming into the season that Massie was not really starting material but would make a fantastic backup.

However, we have to step back and acknowledge how well he has done these last 2 years compared to other RT's who are getting paid the same amount and also realize that Massie was a 4th round pick(112th overall) and not a 1st, 2nd or 3rd round talent like others. 

In the last 2 years Massie has a total of 1,983 regular season snaps, 8 total penalties, only 3 ffalse starts, only 2 holding penalties and has allowed just 6 sacks.

Here is how he stacks up against other top right tackles who have around teh same amount of accrued years.

Player How Acquired Yr Acc Per/Yr Snaps Pen False Start Holding Sacks Allowed
Bobby Massie 4/112 6 8+ 1983 8 3 2 6
Chris Hubbard UDFA 5 7.3 1872 4 2 2 12.5
La'el Collins UDFA 4 7.7 2144 12 4 7 10
Lane Johnson 1/4 6 11.3 1926 14 8 5 7.5
Mitchell Schwartz 2/37 7 6.6 2078 8 3 4 5
Morgan Moses 3/66 5 8 1927 19 10 7 6
Ricky Wagner 5/168 6 9.5 1776 7 0 4 11.5
Rob Havenstein 2/57 4 8.1 2072 7 2 2 7

This should put some things into perspective. 

These are the averages for all players listed above and how Massie stacks up.

Average per/Yr = 8.4 | Massie = 8.0+
Average Snaps = 1,971 | Massie = 1983
Average Total Penalties = 10 | Massie = 8
Average False Starts = 4 | Massie = 3
Average Holding penalties = 4 | Massie = 2
Average Sacks allowed = 8.5 | Massie = 6

If comparing the last two years, also keep in mind that in 2017 we had the fewest pass attempts in the NFL and were the 9th fewest this year. Between that and this year how often Nagy had seemingly scripted one read plays or quick pass gameplans it isn't surprising he had fewer holds and sacks than someone who played in a much more aggressive offense like Johnson.

Granted, comparing him to Johnson is unfair to Massie, I just used the scheme difference as the point more than the players.

Part of what makes the Massie re-signing smart is the supply and demand issue at OT.

I added them up and I am pretty sure that Massie would walk into 19 teams facilities and be the starting RT tomorrow. There was going to be a market for him, he is probably the 2nd or 3rd best free agent OT available.

There will be more options at S or NB then at OT in free agency. That may be why they prioritized him.

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Thats a lot of coin per year average for Massie but he probably would have got the same if not more on the FA market  which isn't very good this year. This also mean Coward was not a realistic option to start in 2019. Don't hate the move. 

He probably gets more.

Chris Hubbard got 7.5/season and has 1/2 the resume Massie does.

Massie himself made 6/season 3 years ago when he was an inconsistent part time starter.

8/year based on recent RT deals is a solid number. By no means a discount, but hopefully the structure helps the Bears.

This blew my mind 

For perspective:

Bobby Massie 

1 sacks, 2 hits, 22 hurries, 4 penalties

Charles Leno Jr 

5 sacks, 4 hits, 23 hurries, 6 penalties

2018 All-pro Andrew Wentworth

4 sacks, 4 hits, 25 hurries, 8 penalties

12 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

This blew my mind 

For perspective:

Bobby Massie 

1 sacks, 2 hits, 22 hurries, 4 penalties

Charles Leno Jr 

5 sacks, 4 hits, 23 hurries, 6 penalties

2018 All-pro Andrew Wentworth

4 sacks, 4 hits, 25 hurries, 8 penalties

I think HH has had a big impact on Massie mentally more than anything...physically Massie has always been a beast since back in his Ole Miss days but he was always weak mentally...those issues seem to have been reduced greatly under HH...I would have preferred to keep Amos first but I think this is a good move...especially if we move on from Long and want to put a rookie in that spot.

So I made a video today.

Every time someone posts a youtube video on here of a Bears play I see bad fundamentals from everyone except Whitehair and Daniels. 

So I thought I would get on gamepass and watch some coaches tape.

I picked a midseason game at random.  Game 7.  Went to very first play and didn't even get past that one.  LOL.  I planned to do like 6 or 7 random plays to see where it led me.

Guess those will have to be in future.

Archived