Bears vs Titans - GDT - Preseason week 3

CBears019

3 minutes ago, VY-FTW said:

You guys are looking good today. Really sucks to see that happen to Cam though :(

I hate injuries but really hate them in the preseason. Hope he comes back and gets back on track of being a number 1 wide out for you guys. Good luck the rest of the season

Injuries happen. Hopefully this allows someone else to make big strides and develop into a complement for Cam when he comes back.

6 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Credit to Loggains...yeah it's preseason but both these QBs look ready to play tonight xx

Agreed. I've bashed him as much as anyone, but he has really done a stellar job over these 3 games of not only managing the QBs, but protecting them as well.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-chicago-bears-19-tennessee-titans-7

PFF with their typical post game analysis/highlights

I won't give away all the stats since they do good work and its a free article anyhow..... but

Goldman and Hicks both with monster statistical performances up front......

Those two, with Howard, Bullard, and RRH all showing great flashes over preseason, and we may legitimately have one of, if not the best outright DLs in the league...

I'd add that while we didn't get much in the way of sack production, our OLBs also caused a bunch offensive penalties, and in one case, I think it was Floyd getting held negated a first down completion of Mariota's

So Meredith with a ACL but will know the full extent after the MRI tomorrow...

Patrick Scales might be in the same boat with John Fox calling his knee injury serious...

Dan Skuta has a concussion...

Nothing more on both Floyd & Amukamara's injuries but we need both those guys....

All in all we took some hits today.

For as much as people worried about the DBs in the offseason, I was wondering about the DE position across from Hicks. Now they've got Bullard, Howard, and RR-H all playing well.

The Bears have had a better defense the past two years than they've gotten credit for, but this year they may start to get noticed.

Also, in terms of bringing in new receivers following the Meridith injury: sure, they can make some waiver claims or a trade, but the newcomer would already be behind in the system.

They'll add somebody, but I think the more likely scenario is we see a continued platoon approach to the position.

2 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

Also, in terms of bringing in new receivers following the Meridith injury: sure, they can make some waiver claims or a trade, but the newcomer would already be behind in the system.

They'll add somebody, but I think the more likely scenario is we see a continued platoon approach to the position.

I'd rather we just go with what we have at WR. White is gonna get every opportunity, and Wright is a legit professional WR. Gentry is gonna get run IMO or at least he should. He can play outside and definitely has chemistry with Trubisky. Wheaton will be back in a few weeks. I can't see Cruz sticking. Bellamy should make the squad for ST purposes. I think that Meredith's roster spot will probably be filled by a player at a different position. 

Being totally homerish I wouldn't oppose them making a move for Jaelen Strong. He's buried on the Houston depth chart. Can probably get him for little to nothing right now and there's a ton of upside there.

Just don't bring back Marquess Wilson. 

I have to say I was very impressed with Mitch in this game as well. He played primarily under center and just made great play after play. His mobility is so underrated and he's already keeping his eyes down field looking for the big play instead of trying to run it.

In addition he's going through his progressions lightning quick. I don't see anyway he won't be the starter at some point this year.

Physically sick for Cam Meredith... kid was primed and ready to have a big/breakout season for us. Sucks.

Tanner Gentry should have a job, IMO.

Here's my WR depth chart:

White

Wheaton

Wright

Gentry

Cruz (Davis was getting a ton of reps too.... might make it over Cruz but I'm going with the vet here)

Bellamy

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

Physically sick for Cam Meredith... kid was primed and ready to have a big/breakout season for us. Sucks.

Tanner Gentry should have a job, IMO.

Here's my WR depth chart:

White

Wheaton

Wright

Gentry

Cruz (Davis was getting a ton of reps too.... might make it over Cruz but I'm going with the vet here)

Bellamy

This is flat out ugly...  Wright is a #3 slot guy, and probably the only one of that group who would get playing time on most NFL rosters.

Gentry could develop into a nice receiver and we all have to hope for something from White given how high of a pick he was.  Gonna have to throw a lot to the TE's, think any talk of cutting Zach Miller is over now.

Any chance we go Davis over Bellamy instead of Cruz?

Just now, bkokot said:

This is flat out ugly...  Wright is a #3 slot guy, and probably the only one of that group who would get playing time on most NFL rosters.

Gentry could develop into a nice receiver and we all have to hope for something from White given how high of a pick he was.  Gonna have to throw a lot to the TE's, think any talk of cutting Zach Miller is over now.

Any chance we go Davis over Bellamy instead of Cruz?

I would highly doubt it because John Fox loves, and I mean LOVES, Josh Bellamy.

Thoughts and Observations

Mike Glennon wasn't good. He led an opening TD drive that was nice and he deserves credit. He then spent the rest of the day doing almost nothing and being fairly inaccurate, despite many being completions. If Mike Glennon needed to be "not bad" to hold his position than he did that, I would prefer the bar was higher.

Trubisky struggled early with the 1s. He was off his mark and fumbled after tripping on the center. Please now compare that to Mike Glennon's first drive with the 1s.... After that he made plays that get you excited. His throw to Gentry was a strike, his 9 yard scramble for a 1st after waiting for as long as possible to for someone to come open was awesome, and his escape and throw to Cruz for a 1st down was incredible, but Cruz dropped it. There is so much to be excited about. Nothing more exciting than how Trubisky looks downfield, scans and delivers with confidence.

Seeing Jeremy Langford do something is exciting. I thought he ran and caught the ball well and ran with more power than we are use to seeing. He is making the team, with Carey hurt, and he could be useful is he plays like he did Sunday.

Benny Cunningham does so many things so well. He really is a great specials and depth signing.

The Cam Meredith injury is devastating. I really felt he was going to take a major step this season and provide the Bears with at least 1 consistent pass catching option on the outside. This really leaves a thin unit barren and puts a ton of pressure on Kevin White.

Thank you Kevin White for showing a little something. Drawing a goal line PI call by beating the CB off the snap, hard running on a 9 yard screen, and a great reach back on an erratic Glennon throw over the middle. I would like to see him targeted more. I think he would be with a more aggressive and accurate QB like Trubisky. I just do not think Glennon is confident in his ability to throw a contested pass.

The Bears desperatly need Kendall Wright to continue to be reliable in the slot. His 3rd down production was incredible yesterday and they need him to continue to develop a report with Glennon.

Victor Cruz is not making the team.

Tanner Gentry needs to make the team. He is one of the few WRs still healthy that has any size and has shown that he can get deep yesterday and in camp. The connection he has with Trubisky is also something that needs to be furthered developed.

I am not sure if they are hiding Adam Shaheen, but I do not need to see him run another 5 yard out. Can we let the guy run a seam route and can we throw him a jump ball or 2 please.

Ben Braunecker is my surprise guy to make the team. 3rd week in a row that he has led the Bears in special teams snaps.

You cannot cut Zach Miller with the number of nobody pass catchers that are left in camp.

My dog Charles Leno had a strong showing, even with a much heavier wallet. Really nice job in pass pro and a coupe of excellent lead blocks on plays heading outside.

The OL in general was good. Grasu is by a wide margin the weakest link right now, despite being okay, but whenever Long comes back this could be something. Bobbie Massie missed a blitzer, but he might be the most improved player on offense. 

Archived