Free Agency News & Rumors

RamRod

12 hours ago, RamRod said:

As a 49er fan, I hope you bring CJ anderson back lol there is a reason he was available so late last year. 

If the rams dont draft a RB, I will be shocked. malcom Brown seemed like a solid runner but he isnt a receiver if I recall correctly and I know that Kyle's scheme requires RBs who can catch (thats the scheme your HC ripped off from shanny btw :P)

I dont remember, how did Dee Ford do against your OL last year when you guys played? Did he do well against witworth?

11 hours ago, The LBC said:

I have no issue with Noteboom taking over.  I'm a bit suspect of Allen because he struck me as an AQ Shipley type.  Capable starter?  Likely, but also a guy who you'd forever be thinking that you could upgrade upon.  I'm assuming the team thought higher of him based upon where he was drafted.

I sort of wonder if the club doesn't sit and see if outstanding value slides to them and opts to bump that in.

One way that's almost necessary to surviving having a franchise QB and a franchise All-Pro defense on the books is having no more than 2 and preferably only 1 of your starting OL on substantial second contracts.

Totally agree. I’m fine with Noteboom starting but I think we to bring in competition for Allen at the absolute minimum. He may be a capabalr starter, but just like you said, I’m sure we’d all want an upgrade over him if given the chance. We’ve finally got ourselves a good offensive line in the last two seasons. Let’s not revert back to old ways. 

6 hours ago, N4L said:

As a 49er fan, I hope you bring CJ anderson back lol there is a reason he was available so late last year. 

If the rams dont draft a RB, I will be shocked. malcom Brown seemed like a solid runner but he isnt a receiver if I recall correctly and I know that Kyle's scheme requires RBs who can catch (thats the scheme your HC ripped off from shanny btw :P)

I dont remember, how did Dee Ford do against your OL last year when you guys played? Did he do well against witworth?

Ford got some pressure at times. It was one of those games where Whitworth held him in check for the majority of the game, but Ford got the better of him a handful of times.

As for C.J. Anderson, I doubt he stops us from adding another HB, but I don't know why you'd be so gleeful about him returning. He was available late last year because the Panthers decided to make McCaffery a workhorse who never left the field (and teams generally aren't looking for veteran HBs late in the season). C.J. was a 1000+ yard runner in 2017 with the Broncos. C.J. is a very instinctive ZBS HB. From watching Shanny, you know that you don't need to be a great physical talent if you have the instincts for the Shanahan-Gibbs ZBS. Fact is that C.J. had 89 carries for 488 yards (5.5 YPC) and 4 TDs in 5 games with the Rams despite being a little overweight.

That all said, if I were the Rams, I'd see what it will cost to trade for Jordan Howard. He's one of the NFL's best ZBS runners. I'd also see how much Spencer Ware wants. He's another good ZBS runner who can block and catch the ball.

Finally, Malcolm Brown is more the opposite. He's a really impressive blocker and receiver (mediocre athleticism but great hands and body control), but he's a pretty mediocre runner. He runs hard, but he's a plodder.

11 hours ago, The LBC said:

I have no issue with Noteboom taking over.  I'm a bit suspect of Allen because he struck me as an AQ Shipley type.  Capable starter?  Likely, but also a guy who you'd forever be thinking that you could upgrade upon.  I'm assuming the team thought higher of him based upon where he was drafted.

I sort of wonder if the club doesn't sit and see if outstanding value slides to them and opts to bump that in.

One way that's almost necessary to surviving having a franchise QB and a franchise All-Pro defense on the books is having no more than 2 and preferably only 1 of your starting OL on substantial second contracts.

I didn't love the Allen pick, but I understand it. Kromer's scheme tends to protect Centers. It's why guys like De La Puente, Groy, Roberto Garza, and Sullivan thrived in it (despite Garza and Sully being very old). It's more about footwork, football IQ, and technique than physical talent. But I would feel a lot better if we added Groy. I think OL depth is vital.

6 hours ago, N4L said:

Box score scouting he did next to nothing. I remember him getting pressure a couple times but it was Houston and Jones that did the damage that day. 

Anyone else getting bored ? NFL is blowing up and we're relatively quiet. Since LeVeon signed, we will have an idea what we do about RB with Ingram likely signing next. This will trigger CJ to start his negotiations more intensely. 

Still hoping for Danny Shelton, Shane Ray, TJ Yeldon (yes I know Snead said CJ or Malcolm Brown going forward)

3 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Anyone else getting bored ? NFL is blowing up and we're relatively quiet. Since LeVeon signed, we will have an idea what we do about RB with Ingram likely signing next. This will trigger CJ to start his negotiations more intensely. 

Still hoping for Danny Shelton, Shane Ray, TJ Yeldon (yes I know Snead said CJ or Malcolm Brown going forward)

Shelton would be a big get (literally) for us. Daylon Mack intrigues me in the 4th round as a developmental guy.

21 minutes ago, Headbanger said:

Should Rams pursue Zach Brown? Very good LB, who is fast and has range. He is a Rams fan as well and might give us a discount, if we give him a multi year deal. Barron was good, but I believe Brown is better.

I expect them to either stick with Kiser or draft their guy rather than signing an ILB, unless it’s strictly a depth move 

5 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

Pretty sure he was a nonfactor. Houston had a great game but I don't recall Ford doing anything.

It was Chris Jones that kicked out butts, but he does that to pretty much everyone.

25 minutes ago, Headbanger said:

Should Rams pursue Zach Brown? Very good LB, who is fast and has range. He is a Rams fan as well and might give us a discount, if we give him a multi year deal. Barron was good, but I believe Brown is better.

Zach Brown and Brandon Marshall could be potential signing, but I agree with @BEASToftheEAST4 that I think they roll with Micah and Littleton. I read today that after Weddle and Fowler, we have $17.38Mil available. I don't think that accounts for Rookie Class or RFAs; I'm not sure.

16 hours ago, N4L said:

Lost in this was that the Rams did draft what was the mid-round RB-du-jour for so many on this site last year in John Kelly, he just was lagging on his pass-blocking development that that cost him active-roster detail for just about all the games of the season.  If he's improved on that, his running style and ability makes him a very good 2 in a 1-2 punch with Gurley.

We'll bring in another RB in some capacity just because most teams carry 5 RB's into the preseason and we only have 4 on the roster currently (with one of those guys, Justin Davis, only have 3 career carries).

12 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

We were always going to wait in FA. We're not going to involve ourselves in all the money being thrown around right now. As for HB, I'm not a Yeldon guy. If we look outside of C.J., I'd look into Spencer Ware or Jordan Howard. Both are adept zone runners, and Ware is a good passing-game contributor.

10 hours ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

I expect them to either stick with Kiser or draft their guy rather than signing an ILB, unless it’s strictly a depth move 

I think Kiser will be the guy. He fits Wade's scheme well and is a good foil to Littleton.

3 hours ago, The LBC said:

Lost in this was that the Rams did draft what was the mid-round RB-du-jour for so many on this site last year in John Kelly, he just was lagging on his pass-blocking development that that cost him active-roster detail for just about all the games of the season.  If he's improved on that, his running style and ability makes him a very good 2 in a 1-2 punch with Gurley.

We'll bring in another RB in some capacity just because most teams carry 5 RB's into the preseason and we only have 4 on the roster currently (with one of those guys, Justin Davis, only have 3 career carries).

I really liked Kelly as a prospect, but I'd be concerned if he were the only backup plan to Gurley. If that's the case, I hope we draft somebody on Day 3.

1 minute ago, RamRod said:

Don’t get too excited but we have interest in Clay Matthews

Yuck. Want no part of that guy. He's been washed since he got busted for PED's. I wouldn't even want to pay him to be a 4th edge rusher. I'd rather give a rookie a chance behind Ebukam, OKO, and Fowler.

Archived