Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
the lone star

Should More Teams Begin Using 4 WR Sets More Often And Pull The Tight End Off The Field?

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, scar988 said:

No. The 11 personnel look is good. If anything, teams should use more 12 personnel and force an additional LB or S onto the field for speed reasons.

11.5 is a good compromise I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If my Niners did that with Kittle. it would be disastrous.  I think the TE position is underrated by too many teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, uk9erfan said:

If my Niners did that with Kittle. it would be disastrous.  I think the TE position is underrated by too many teams.

No, TE in general are not for big plays, usually for like 10 to 20 yds games, like WCO.

It is damn hard to score 24 or more pts without big downfield passes, because you need keeping the drive alive and getting more first downs.

Edited by William Lee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So should NFL teams use less 11 personal and more 10 personal?

just comes down to the schemes and how good your TE is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure the Redskins have 4 capable WRs to put out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2019 at 7:17 AM, scar988 said:

No. The 11 personnel look is good. If anything, teams should use more 12 personnel and force an additional LB or S onto the field for speed reasons.

Is that possible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2019 at 9:40 PM, Manny/Patrick said:

Is that possible?

Very. Especially since most TEs have more of a WR build and function nowadays. Imagine a team like the Browns or Falcons. 11 personnel is basically 12 with how Landry or Sanu play more of a big slot role than an actual true WR role. There's a speed WR #2. There's a TE in the slot on the other side. There's a true #1. But this is essentially the new 4 WR set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2019 at 5:56 PM, ET80 said:

There was a time in the 90s when 4WR sets were all the rage. Houston Oilers and Atlanta had the Run and Shoot, Detroit had the Silver Stretch, Buffalo had the K-Gun...

The K-gun was more 3WR, wasn't it? Wasn't that offense more about the no-huddle, anyway? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tight Ends are a gigantic pain in the balls to defend. Teams should be using 2 TE sets more than 4 WR sets.

I'd roll with 2 TE's about 70% of the time. It creates extra gaps for the defense to try and cover up and allows you to attack in a variety of ways. If I am facing 4 WR's, I'm pressing all of them and sending the house.

Teams aren't using TE's enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

The K-gun was more 3WR, wasn't it? Wasn't that offense more about the no-huddle, anyway? 

Was it 3WR or 4WR? Admittedly, I didn't follow the Bills that much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, having a solid TE is my biggest nightmare as a defensive/LB coach for so many reasons:

1. You can't automatically sub in another DB for one of our LB.

2. It presents an extra gap responsibility close to the LOS for a run fit on a LB/S

3. It adds another dimension of "who is covering him" whether it be match, man, or zone

4. You can't have your DE just pin his ears back. Sometimes you need him to JAM, sometimes you have him as a 5 or 9 (depending on down and distance, scheme, etc.), and sometimes he will stay in and block, block and release, etc.

JMHO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

To be honest, having a solid TE is my biggest nightmare as a defensive/LB coach for so many reasons:

1. You can't automatically sub in another DB for one of our LB.

2. It presents an extra gap responsibility close to the LOS for a run fit on a LB/S

3. It adds another dimension of "who is covering him" whether it be match, man, or zone

4. You can't have your DE just pin his ears back. Sometimes you need him to JAM, sometimes you have him as a 5 or 9 (depending on down and distance, scheme, etc.), and sometimes he will stay in and block, block and release, etc.

JMHO

Having a Stud TE is such a safety blanket in the HS ranks IMO. My first year of coaching we had a stud TE. Dude made so many big time catches. Didn’t matter where we lined him up teams had issues stopping him. I believe he ended up at Cincy for throwing on the track team

Edited by buno67

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Having a Stud TE is such a safety blanket in the HS ranks IMO. My first year of coaching we had a stud TE. Dude made so many big time catches. Didn’t matter where we lined him up teams had issues stopping him. I believe he ended up at Cincy for throwing on the track team

Yeah absolutely. There have been a few times where we have had one and been able to split him out, throw him Red Zone targets/get the exact matchup we want, isolate him in a 1 on 1 situation, cause chaos in the running game...you name it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say the opposite.  I prefer more 2 TE sets assuming you can get two versatile TE's who can block and catch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×