Should More Teams Begin Using 4 WR Sets More Often And Pull The Tight End Off The Field?

the lone star

17 hours ago, uk9erfan said:

If my Niners did that with Kittle. it would be disastrous.  I think the TE position is underrated by too many teams.

No, TE in general are not for big plays, usually for like 10 to 20 yds games, like WCO.

It is damn hard to score 24 or more pts without big downfield passes, because you need keeping the drive alive and getting more first downs.

On 3/19/2019 at 9:40 PM, Manny/Patrick said:

Is that possible?

Very. Especially since most TEs have more of a WR build and function nowadays. Imagine a team like the Browns or Falcons. 11 personnel is basically 12 with how Landry or Sanu play more of a big slot role than an actual true WR role. There's a speed WR #2. There's a TE in the slot on the other side. There's a true #1. But this is essentially the new 4 WR set.

On 3/11/2019 at 5:56 PM, ET80 said:

There was a time in the 90s when 4WR sets were all the rage. Houston Oilers and Atlanta had the Run and Shoot, Detroit had the Silver Stretch, Buffalo had the K-Gun...

The K-gun was more 3WR, wasn't it? Wasn't that offense more about the no-huddle, anyway? 

Tight Ends are a gigantic pain in the balls to defend. Teams should be using 2 TE sets more than 4 WR sets.

I'd roll with 2 TE's about 70% of the time. It creates extra gaps for the defense to try and cover up and allows you to attack in a variety of ways. If I am facing 4 WR's, I'm pressing all of them and sending the house.

Teams aren't using TE's enough.

To be honest, having a solid TE is my biggest nightmare as a defensive/LB coach for so many reasons:

1. You can't automatically sub in another DB for one of our LB.

2. It presents an extra gap responsibility close to the LOS for a run fit on a LB/S

3. It adds another dimension of "who is covering him" whether it be match, man, or zone

4. You can't have your DE just pin his ears back. Sometimes you need him to JAM, sometimes you have him as a 5 or 9 (depending on down and distance, scheme, etc.), and sometimes he will stay in and block, block and release, etc.

JMHO

21 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

To be honest, having a solid TE is my biggest nightmare as a defensive/LB coach for so many reasons:

1. You can't automatically sub in another DB for one of our LB.

2. It presents an extra gap responsibility close to the LOS for a run fit on a LB/S

3. It adds another dimension of "who is covering him" whether it be match, man, or zone

4. You can't have your DE just pin his ears back. Sometimes you need him to JAM, sometimes you have him as a 5 or 9 (depending on down and distance, scheme, etc.), and sometimes he will stay in and block, block and release, etc.

JMHO

Having a Stud TE is such a safety blanket in the HS ranks IMO. My first year of coaching we had a stud TE. Dude made so many big time catches. Didn’t matter where we lined him up teams had issues stopping him. I believe he ended up at Cincy for throwing on the track team

11 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Having a Stud TE is such a safety blanket in the HS ranks IMO. My first year of coaching we had a stud TE. Dude made so many big time catches. Didn’t matter where we lined him up teams had issues stopping him. I believe he ended up at Cincy for throwing on the track team

Yeah absolutely. There have been a few times where we have had one and been able to split him out, throw him Red Zone targets/get the exact matchup we want, isolate him in a 1 on 1 situation, cause chaos in the running game...you name it.

Archived