Sign in to follow this  
the lone star

Should More Teams Begin Using 4 WR Sets More Often And Pull The Tight End Off The Field?

7 hours ago, scar988 said:

No. The 11 personnel look is good. If anything, teams should use more 12 personnel and force an additional LB or S onto the field for speed reasons.

11.5 is a good compromise I think.

If my Niners did that with Kittle. it would be disastrous.  I think the TE position is underrated by too many teams.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, uk9erfan said:

If my Niners did that with Kittle. it would be disastrous.  I think the TE position is underrated by too many teams.

No, TE in general are not for big plays, usually for like 10 to 20 yds games, like WCO.

It is damn hard to score 24 or more pts without big downfield passes, because you need keeping the drive alive and getting more first downs.

Edited by William Lee

So should NFL teams use less 11 personal and more 10 personal?

just comes down to the schemes and how good your TE is. 

I'm not sure the Redskins have 4 capable WRs to put out there.

On 3/12/2019 at 7:17 AM, scar988 said:

No. The 11 personnel look is good. If anything, teams should use more 12 personnel and force an additional LB or S onto the field for speed reasons.

Is that possible?

On 3/19/2019 at 9:40 PM, Manny/Patrick said:

Is that possible?

Very. Especially since most TEs have more of a WR build and function nowadays. Imagine a team like the Browns or Falcons. 11 personnel is basically 12 with how Landry or Sanu play more of a big slot role than an actual true WR role. There's a speed WR #2. There's a TE in the slot on the other side. There's a true #1. But this is essentially the new 4 WR set.

On 3/11/2019 at 5:56 PM, ET80 said:

There was a time in the 90s when 4WR sets were all the rage. Houston Oilers and Atlanta had the Run and Shoot, Detroit had the Silver Stretch, Buffalo had the K-Gun...

The K-gun was more 3WR, wasn't it? Wasn't that offense more about the no-huddle, anyway? 

Tight Ends are a gigantic pain in the balls to defend. Teams should be using 2 TE sets more than 4 WR sets.

I'd roll with 2 TE's about 70% of the time. It creates extra gaps for the defense to try and cover up and allows you to attack in a variety of ways. If I am facing 4 WR's, I'm pressing all of them and sending the house.

Teams aren't using TE's enough.

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

The K-gun was more 3WR, wasn't it? Wasn't that offense more about the no-huddle, anyway? 

Was it 3WR or 4WR? Admittedly, I didn't follow the Bills that much.